Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#19,583 ·
Your system should hold approximately 2lbs. Did the clutch kick in with the engine running? If so what were the readings with the low and hi valves shut off?

BB :thumbup::thumbup:
Posted above, compressor running.
But, not really sure. I was getting frustrated and stopped.

So, today, I thought I would do something funner like change my front flex lines and rebuild the calipers without the use of my hoist.
I hate this freakin house build. Can't even use my hoist without hours of moving stuff out of the garage. So crawling around on the ground, breaking brake lines....arrgghhhhh......

#19,584 ·
Pugsy, thats GR-RRR in Pontiac speak. :D I am still feeling the concrete on my back from yesterdays bearing wrestling match. :pain: It is good to have the blown one back.:mwink:

How about this for a grin, a first-ever cover shot for the shop I work at. Real nice article. In stores now. Thats the blue Ford I tore down and installed a bed floor in. Crew did nice on it and the mods are just right. :)

The 60 Chevy quarter patches don't fit half bad at the wheelhouse and where they join. The bottom flange on the front is a bit short, and the stamped edges are of course very rounded so I'll work within those.

#19,587 ·
DANG, those quarters look like a cake walk... ;)..:rolleyes:

Nice to see the truck recognized as a 10..:thumbup:
If you are MIGing that quarter you about have to change the wire spool in the middle of the job and hope your Argon lasts. LOL What a weld, holy crap.

Brian

Reactions: idrivejunk
#19,588 ·
I am thinking about prepping both qtr repairs then epoxying everything inside and out then just welding almost constantly by bouncing around. Theres five yards to weld, pick a spot! As long as I don't get greedy that might be the most efficient way to go. What I haven't decided is whether to join the halves before installation or not. Might be best off if I was to plate and screw that on the outside, until I'm butt welding the long seam. In the pic, the new panel is shoved behind the old along the top for the moment.

#19,589 ·
Pulled a pedal hanger bracket out of a 71 Nova today. Melvin had another car with the brake pedal but the car had really stinkey wet carpet. I will go back with a plastic tarp to lay on and get the pedal.

John
Sounds naastttyyyy :p and that is not a fun part to remove. Watch yersef and stay healthy, John :)

#19,590 ·
the last quarter I did with a seam that long I recall going into it with the idea of one tack and skip, then as I began it became 2 hot tacks and stagger, then 3 hot tacks and stagger. You'll be under the hood for a second. I don't drink pepsi much but might be a good idea to have a cold one waiting so when you lift up your hood you can chug a nice cold pepsi before grinding. :D

#19,592 ·
I am thinking about prepping both qtr repairs then epoxying everything inside and out then just welding almost constantly by bouncing around. Theres five yards to weld, pick a spot! As long as I don't get greedy that might be the most efficient way to go. What I haven't decided is whether to join the halves before installation or not. Might be best off if I was to plate and screw that on the outside, until I'm butt welding the long seam. In the pic, the new panel is shoved behind the old along the top for the moment.

How did this come out ?? You still welding ? Been over 24 hours, should close to done by now...:D
I didn't see this until now. I would've been very tempted to flange the repair panel and leave it behind the old. It wouldn't look good in the trunk though...:( and difficult to work around the rocket wing in the front. Any curves would need to be cut down and butt welded.

#19,594 ·
YAAAAAAAAH, finally something positive to lift the spirit...:D
Thanks.
I will do something really easy tonight.
Oil change, or can I screw that up too?...ha....

I bought a can of dye for the a/c and an installation hose.
Eventually, I will figure out the a/c issue.

#19,595 ·
I would re-attach the supply tank and see if the compressor is actually running. I've had cases where the supply pressure was too low to get past the limit switches and run the comp. I then hot wire the comp momentarily to see if it will start charging. Might need to shock the TX switch into opening.
Supply can/tank in a bucket of hot water raises the pressure and can help charge faster too...:cool:

#19,596 ·
I would re-attach the supply tank and see if the compressor is actually running. I've had cases where the supply pressure was too low to get past the limit switches and run the comp. I then hot wire the comp momentarily to see if it will start charging. Might need to shock the TX switch into opening.
Supply can/tank in a bucket of hot water raises the pressure and can help charge faster too...:cool:
Thanks.

If the TX valve is screwed, so am I.
The whole internal unit would need to come out.
Don't even think I can tap it.

#19,597 ·
How did this come out ?? You still welding ? Been over 24 hours, should close to done by now...:D
I didn't see this until now. I would've been very tempted to flange the repair panel and leave it behind the old. It wouldn't look good in the trunk though...:( and difficult to work around the rocket wing in the front. Any curves would need to be cut down and butt welded.
Ha! Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mitch. I am taking care of business behind the patch still, and refining the patch's fit. I made a kinda sloppy piece yesterday, you can click any pic to go see. The wheelhouse patching comes after the quarter fitting. Once its like I like everywhere else, I'll make the lip.

Spent this morning doing a couple Chevelle things. Back on the Biscuit now... I will wait to make that long cut until theres nothing else but that to do. It is tempting to flange there but naaawwww, not my style brother. I may use some temporary tabs. These adventurous repairs are the ones I like best.

Pepsi is the best cola but I gave it up a few years back. I'd rather be able to chew! I was thinking I would get both quarters ready to weld, but the body became too flexy for my liking when I cut the qtr. I'll opt to tread lightly and do one at a time instead.

#19,598 ·
I got the patches to fit OK with a few screws and marked my edge with 60 Chevy Orange (?). Then made this part in about a dozen five minuteses. Have not trimmed the rusted lip away yet, but this is screwed to it and fits tight. I may extend this a little in the center where the pitting goes higher. The patches fit the old lip nicely so I should have a sportin' chance at pulling off this part of the job.

#19,599 ·
I got the patches to fit OK with a few screws and marked my edge with 60 Chevy Orange (?). Then made this part in about a dozen five minuteses. Have not trimmed the rusted lip away yet, but this is screwed to it and fits tight. I may extend this a little in the center where the pitting goes higher. The patches fit the old lip nicely so I should have a sportin' chance at pulling off this part of the job.

Most of the time no one posts how they fixed the inner areas.

Good work and thanks for posting.

John

#19,600 ·
Again, not me, I'm not doing crap unless you want to hear about the Chevy Volt, Ford Transit 150, Audi A3...etc... that I am working on at work.

But how about a few tease shots of the Tommy Ivo dragster my brother is involved with. I am not kidding you, this thing is so sensual I feel dirty looking at it with my wife in the room.

Brian

Attachments