What did your Garage Cost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question What did your Garage Cost?

I have been thinking about building a garage on my property. I live on a farm so zoning issues is not a problem. I was wondering what it cost for you guys to build your garage start to finish. I am thinking of going 50X60 with 14foot ceilings. I would also have the whole floor concreted. What do you guys think a ballpark figure would be on a garage like this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

What I would do...

Is write up a little spec list with a basic floor plan drawing, and started sending it out for quotes.
You're going to have to figure on the electric install, ventelation, OH doors openers if you want them, plumbing for water ( and air). Basically put it all togetherr and ask for quotes. Get those together, see if your ok money wise , then pick at least the 3 best ( much more than that gets confusing) and get an apples to apples bid from each.
Mine ended up at about 45k and I did the electrical work.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Rich is right. You should first get some idea of what your dream garage is, as well as what your minimum requirements are. List them and get some quotes. If you can do some of the interior work yourself, you can save quite a bit, but it wil take longer to get completed. Since you live in a rural area, check out some building packages like those from Agway and Morton. You might have to change your specs a bit, but since these are factory planned and cut, they wil likely be less expensive than something stick built. You should also keep your eye out for farmers putting up new buildings and finding out who their contractors are.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:52 PM
56 Thunderbird,68 Harley

Last photo:

I live in semi-rural Colorado so zoning was not a big issue for me either. I went with a 40X64 w/12' wall pole barn. All total so far I have about $26,500. in it. The building is up, floor is in with drains and pads for the hoist. I had the site work done and I did my own electrical ( 220V, 100 A) Now I have to wait for my wallet to fatten up to finish it.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I had 12 grand in mine but only have 8' ceilings (big mistake) and I did everything (Weimer & I ) myself except for the concrete work. That and the driveway amounted to half the cost. Mine is a 28' x 36' with 6' overhangs in front and on the side.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a 30x40x12, one roll up door, one entry door, steel skin and I beam frame, R19 aluminum insulation. I have right at $7000 in mine. I got a weld up building with insulation for $5100 and did all the fabrication myself. I also did all the concrete work with the help of family and friends for $1200. My father-in-law did the electrical for parts cost only at $600. The benches are made out of material scraps and some discarded flat 9' hardwood doors from an office building.

Later,

Chris
Old 02-04-2004, 06:55 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I figure my 30x40x12 Pole barn will cost me millions over the years. $12,000 for the building, concrete (placed) , wiring, (2) O/H doors, man door. No insulation or interior finishes. Where do I get "millions" for my cost? All the toys to fill it !!!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Mine was very expensive, but they threw the house in for free...(sorry, couldn't resist...)
Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Garage Cost

I agree with those who stated look for a competent contractor and arm yourself with a set of specs.
That being said I built my own shop. It is 36' X 40' with 14 foot eaves. The shop was not insulated but I did put in a four inch thick concrete floor with a 36' X 20' apron entrance. I built a paint room of 14' X 28' on one back wall and put my office above in the mezzanine. The building has one 12' X 12' door and one 12' X 8' door. I did all the work myself with the help of a neighbor who happened to be a concrete finisher. All the framing, siding, roofing, painting, and electrical I did. I have about $18,000 in it as it stands now.
If you choose to do this yourself make sure you check into the code requirements for your State. At a minimum you will have to produce drawings to get a building permit unless you can convince the building department it is an agricultural building In my state I had to have a professional engineers stamp on the drawings because the eave height was over 10'. Good luck
Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I got lucky with my garage. My brothr-in-law need to tear down his perfectly good garage to build a bigger one for his heavy equipment. He said if I tore it down I could have it. So I did. Took off the roof sheating and rafters the tore out windows and doors and siding. Took walls down in for sections and loaded it on a big flat bed trailer and hauled it home. Had someone do the concrete and I rebuild it with a little help from my other brother-in-laws to set walls and rafters. The rest I did by myself. Cool!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Contracted it to a Home Builder needing the work.

$57K. 40x60 inside. 10x60 outside covered extension. 8" fg rienforced concrete slabs with rebar in the bays. Insulated Bloc & Brick veener (matches my house). 16' osb board ceiling. 2-12x12 ovhd doors, 2-3' entry doors, 2- dbl hung side windows. Lotsa flourencent lights. Mfg'd wood trusses (2ft off) with painted metal roofing. 200amp service & plumbed. Woodstove heat.

Was cheaper than the metal bldgs I priced finished including Morton's bid. Do your homework, shop around, amd good luck.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:36 PM

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.