What is the difference between 5/8 OSB and 5/8 sheatting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 08:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What is the difference between 5/8 OSB and 5/8 sheatting?

Can OSB be used in the roof to patch bad areas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 PM

The OSB is (oriented strand board) made from chips--the sheathing should be like plywood.They say the OSB is better,but if I was fixing a place on a roof I'd use whatever the roof was done in before.I did roofing in my younger days(don't miss it) It was always easier to use whatever the original roof used--same thickness.Older roofs used 1x6 decking or plywood.Newer roofs are OSB,--1x6 decking would break the bank, so would plywood now.Good luck --I don't envy you the task.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Yeah osb and bc sheathing do different things when they are wet as far as swelling and warping. BC tends to curl and delaminate. OSB just swells a lil and will keep its basic shape.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

osb, up here i believe they call it aspenite.

chip board is used, not because it is a better product, but because it is CHEAP.

plywood is much better. grab a corner of the osb and try and break it off - you probably can. you can't do that with plywood.

JB
Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 AM

dont get the cheap Osb, in few years, moisture/heat will make the Osb fall apart, all the chips tend to seperate! make sure you get the OSb that is meant for roofing.. or you will be up on the roof again sooner than you think!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicamaro
dont get the cheap Osb, in few years, moisture/heat will make the Osb fall apart, all the chips tend to seperate! make sure you get the OSb that is meant for roofing.. or you will be up on the roof again sooner than you think!
That's quite true. Roofing OSB will have one side that has a very small waffle texture and the other side will be smooth.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info, other thing about roofing materials, there is product that you put over the roof, that is made of thing like rubber that you torch down
with torch,
Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM

NO! Dont use A torch! LOL!! Its Ice and water sheild, and its like Instant super glue! Once you its on, its there for ever!, I would NOT do a roof by my self, Cause there would be more ripples than a ****! And dont out that stuff on the roof if,
Its 85*F+.
Sun is beating Down on the side you are repairing, and you break and easy sweat.
Or if roof it wet.

Thats mostly common sense, but if you never used Ice and water Sheild you have no idea what its like! anyway.. I used ice and water sheild, on the floor pans of my 1983 Camaro T-top, and the pickup truck, anyway, its a very fun task to do! especially in the hot sun! because that stuff will stick to anything in a split second! Even your you! and it wont come off without a fight!!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NutCase
Can OSB be used in the roof to patch bad areas
Lots of good advice here. OSB is called wafer board here in the midwest and although the advertising associated with it claims that it is better than plywood my experience is don't use it on a roof. The nails have a tendency to back out over time (don't ask me why I have just seen it) and it becomes a little like a trampoline over time. Stick with regular plywood for the roof. I will use it for wall sheating as there isn't a rain or snow load on it.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

The nails back out because when osb gets wet it swells up and pushes the nail up a lil then it drys and shrinks and the nail is left. OSB is the standard down south. It is much more durable than bc/cd ply when wet. I don't know what kinda stuff you Yankees use on your roofs. Probably something smarter than OSB!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
That's quite true. Roofing OSB will have one side that has a very small waffle texture and the other side will be smooth.
Just make sure you put the right side up. On a roof the textured side goes up. If you put the smooth side up you had better have some coarse grit sandpaper on your butt for gription.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:10 PM

OSB is the better product for any exterior sheathing, be it roof or walls. It has a substantially lower perm rating (the rating of water absorption) than plywood. It does have to be installed with the proper side up, which is stamped on the OSB itself. 5/8" on the roof won't sag between the trusses, and if you install your paper, ice and water shield, and shingles appropriately,the OSB or plywood shouldn't get wet. There are some great new(er) products available in place of normal roof paper, or felt. One is called tri-flex, and another is called titanium something or other. If you are not going to be able to complete the job quickly, these products are great, because they are made to keep the roof watertight even without shingles. Plus it's great extra protection! Good luck.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.