what is the difference btwn 200r4 and 700r4? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

what is the difference btwn 2004r and 700r4?

I am looking to swap out the 305 in my 87 Monte SS. It's got a bad knock and I don't want to sink any money fixing a 305. I'd rather just get another one.

My car came factory with a 2004r. There is a 1985 chevrolet 305/700r4 motor and tranny combo for sale for $350 locally. My friend told me that is about right.

For this car, I'm not particulary a purist. It would just be my car to go to work and back and the odd weekend on the highway. So, for those in the know, which transmission would you install and why?

Last edited by pigjamelectric; 11-24-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:

I would go with the 200-4r only because its there, its working (right?) and you would only need to install the motor.
No fooling around with crossmembers or cutting driveshafts.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
I am looking to swap out the 305 in my 87 Monte SS. It's got a bad knock and I don't want to sink any money fixing a 305. I'd rather just get another one.

My car came factory with a 2004r. There is a 1985 chevrolet 305/700r4 motor and tranny combo for sale for $350 locally. My friend told me that is about right.

For this car, I'm not particulary a purist. It would just be my car to go to work and back and the odd weekend on the highway. So, for those in the know, which transmission would you install and why?
to me, its a no brainer. keep the 2004R in the car, you know it works, and the fact you wont have to have the driveshaft shortened like you would need to do if you use the 700R4.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The 700R4 has a 3.06 first gear, which leaves a big gap between 1st and 2nd. There is a larger RPM drop between these gears than there is with the 200 4R. The 700 is also longer and requires modifications to the cross member and drive shaft. The 200 4R can be built stronger than a 700R4.

Does your car have the HO 305? Is it the original engine?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Thanks guys for the info. I sure wouldn't want to be doing any modifying. I already have too many things to do to get this project streetworthy, so I'll keep the 200-4r in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head

Does your car have the HO 305? Is it the original engine?
As far as I know it's the original motor. I've had the car about 15 years and it only has 115 000 km (69 000 miles). The car was written off because it was a second theft and recovery. The way I understand it, in Manitoba if a car gets stolen twice, it gets written off. Maybe there are some exceptions. 4Jaw if you read this, do you know if that's true? Anyways that rule would seem to make sense because the car was smacked up a bit but not enough to write it off IMO.

In any case, I got most of it straightened out and changed fenders, welded in new floors and did body work on the quarters and doors. The bigger problem was rust, but I got rid of a lot of it. And a bigger problem is, when I moved to my new home, I had no shop to shelter the car. Monte's been exposed to a lot of prairie weather, which means really cold and snowy to really hot and humid. I'm going to have to redo a lot of the body work

About ten years ago, I got a rebuilt 4 barrell for it, got the dual exhaust redone and a few other things. I have a bit of money in the car, but mostly time. Sometimes I just want to dump the darn thing. The only thing I did to it this year was change the headlights that had water in them. (And you thought headlight fluid didn't exist) All four actually work now! and repaint in black the metal frames that hold them in place. I can't believe the big difference that little cosmetic touch-up made. The car doesn't look so much like it needs a shower anymore. Still lots of work left to do though.

But when I want to dump it over some other car, I do the math. Whatever money I'd spend on another car or potential project, I could just put into this thing to finally get it driveable. That's what I mean about not being particular. At this point I just want the thing to drive it without worrying too much about it being the orginal motor.

But who knows. In twenty-thirty years from now people might read this post and cry about committing what they may see as a mortal sin to swap out a HO 305 for one out of grampa's oldsmobile, unless it's already considered insane to do that. What do you think, Big Gear Head? Should I sink some $ and save the HO 305?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
Should I sink some $ and save the HO 305?
Just been doing some research and I think I can answer my own question...

On rebuilding:
"The 350 is the cheapest,
the 400 is just slightly more money,
the stroked 350 (383) is costly,
and finally the 305 is the most expensive."

On cost:
"Rebuilding your 305 H.O. (L-69) engine back to stock, (...) you'll spend up to $350 on block work. Rebuilding the heads and then being machined will run up to $450. Reconditioning the rest of your bottom-end could cost $250 and up depending on what options you go with."

From http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/engine.html

Where's grampa's olds again?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

The reason that I asked is becaue those HO 305 heads are pretty popular around here and hard to find. It looks like you are a little too far away for me to drop by and pick them up.

Putting a TH400 in your car would require as many modifications as the 700R4.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 AM

sorry to get off topic here but can i ask u why the HO heads are popular ?
cause i have an 83 with a 85 or 86 305 in it.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Smaller combustion chambers than the 350 and larger valves than the standard 305 heads.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM

o i got ya but i thought they didnt flow to well
Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

That may be true, but people around here are still looking for them. They run in a calss that requires stock heads and they figure that the raised compression is better than higher flow.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.