what to do - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 01:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what to do

I have a 72 long wheel base chevy pick up. It's gonna cost me $250 to get the block ready. I can get a rotating assembly out of JR Motorsports for around $700, or so. It would have 9.7 compression with 64cc heads. I really don't know what the rear gears are, but probably somewhere between 3.08, and 3.73. So if I bought a 2,200 stall, and a 280/480 comp cam, what would be my best bet on a good set of heads. World Products 67cc straight plug 194/150. Dart 72cc 194/150, or a redone set of 76cc heads. I want to spend no more than $2,000 on the engine. The Dart heads completely assembled are $700. If I go this route, I"ve spent about $1,650. What I want to do with this truck is run with the new type stock camaros, and firebirds. They have 325 hp, and it's hooked up. I'm figuring about 375 hp, and maybe somehow run 13.50 in the 1/4 mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

You are trying to fly a loaded boxcar against the wind. I think with the stock type shortblock and that cam I would go for the reworked stock heads. The aftermkt heads are great but they are not being used to their potential with the cam and engine combo you have. Plus you are going to need some low end torque to move that square block off the line.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:57 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would go with the shortblock you are looking at, vortec heads, comp cams xe268h cam, and a performer rpm intake manifold. That should put you right about 375 hp, 400 tq in a 355. You can get a set of assembeled vortec heads with the machine work needed to run a cam up to .525 lift for $635 from scoggin dickey. I had this motor in a 1972 nova, and ran really well. Whatever you do, unless you are using a set of heads with a good port job, I would stick with a dual pattern cam. An unported set of heads will need all the exhaust help they can get.

Adam
Old 03-30-2004, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

I like the vortec idea, but I don't want to have to buy a different intake. Is it possible to run low 13's in this truck?

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
You are trying to fly a loaded boxcar against the wind. I think with the stock type shortblock and that cam I would go for the reworked stock heads. The aftermkt heads are great but they are not being used to their potential with the cam and engine combo you have. Plus you are going to need some low end torque to move that square block off the line.
That cam is just one off the top of my head. Which one would you go with?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would go with the XE268H cam from comp cams. It worked really well for me. As far as the intake manifold goes, if you use a stock intake on a motor with higher flowing heads, it will greatly hurt your performance. If you go with Vortec heads, you are going to be spending around $100 less than another aftermarket iron head, a performer RPM intake is only $173. So you are really only looking at around $70-$100 over a set of the other heads using your stock intake. Another good thing about the Vortecs is that they come with 64cc chambers which will give you the compression you want.

good luck,
Adam
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by firestone
I would go with the XE268H cam from comp cams. It worked really well for me. As far as the intake manifold goes, if you use a stock intake on a motor with higher flowing heads, it will greatly hurt your performance. If you go with Vortec heads, you are going to be spending around $100 less than another aftermarket iron head, a performer RPM intake is only $173. So you are really only looking at around $70-$100 over a set of the other heads using your stock intake. Another good thing about the Vortecs is that they come with 64cc chambers which will give you the compression you want.

good luck,
Adam
You are forgetting the cost of either new valve covers or adapters.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.