What to do?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 09:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to do??

Am running a 408cid sbc in a 1983 Chevy 4x4. It has a Scat crank, Scat 6" rods, KB 2-valve flat tops, World Products S/R torquer heads, Comp Cams 282/286 .510/.520 hydraulic roller, Weiand X-celerator port-matched intake with a 1" 4 hole spacer and a Demon 750VE carb. Due to some of the guides being bad, I was going to have the heads redone along with a port and a 5-angle valve job. The heads already have 1.46 springs with 10-degree retainers and locks with Crane 1.5 rollers. I also have an Edlebrock Performer Rpm intake on the shelf also. I have to run stock-style heads and pull 15" vacuum to run in my class. I thought about going vortech heads but having to change so much, I thought about bare Sportsman II's and putting the valvetrain from the S/R's in them. The Mrs. will let me spend about $750 so i'm looking from you guys what you would do with a limited budget.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would defantely go with the Vortecs, the assembeled heads able to support .525 lift are $ 650 from scoggin dickey. Other than that all you would have to buy in an intake manifold and valve covers. If you sell your heads and intake, it will be cheaper in the long run. The Vortec heads will make more hp than the S/R's anyway.

Good luck
Adam
Old 10-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Check with Scoggin, GM had a Vortec Oval Track head on display that has both intake bolt patterns so would have to change, just a little matching.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.