Hot Rod Forum banner

what to do about the dash?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rayzorsharp 
#1 ·
Hey fellow rodders, I got a 47 mopar That I started gutting the interior. I am am quite the green horn rodder. How should I approach the dash and staying within a blue collar budget? I want to modernize the gauges and some of the old ones will not be used. Do I fab a new one, keep the old one or is there after market ones? Any tips would be appreciated thanx!
Rayzorsharp

#2 ·
If you are on a blue collar budget you will want to keep the old one and modernize it. There are probably (although I haven't checked it out) aftermarket gage panels available for your 47. If not or you don't like them remove the old gages and fill in the holes. Buy a gage package (aftermarket, swap meet, etc.) and design a cluster that you like. Cut holes and make mounting brackets and install your new gages. All ot his work is much easier with the dash out of the car.

#3 ·
Some guys make guage panels out of brushed aluminum, others use engine turned stainless steel, and then there is the old school way......take the old instruments out of your dash...then cut out whats neccessary...then weld in a sheet metal filler piece or patch panel. Grind all your welds down and smooth up with filler and sand smooth and prime. Cut out new holes for new instruments.. paint dash and install the new instruments.

#4 ·
Dash

Just like home brew said. I have a 46 chev and I filled in all the original guage holes and openings and then drilled holes to fit the guages I am using and then filled all the welding areas with filler, smoothed it all out and painted the dash and it came out very nice....GlennK

#5 ·
Thanx guys. it sounds like a dumb question but this 47 is a totally different ball game ya know? 6 knobs, the clusters are different sizes than I have seen replacements for it has a manual cowl scoop on it, not for the engine but I quess before there was air conditioning. I am learning a lot from this tear down. I really appreciate your tips. rayzorsharp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.