What to do about S-10 Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to do about S-10 Project

I have a big decision to make about an S-10 project.

Truck is a 1988 S-10 short box, RWD, standard cab and the origional 2.5L engine went out on it. I decided to throw a Chevy V8 into it. Origionally it started with just putting a V8 engine into it but as projects go, I tore it down farther and farther. I even took off the cab to replace the cab mounts.

I started this project 2-3 years ago, last year I didn't have any time to work on it.

This year (because I work in landscaping business) it would be great to have a truck that I could actually use day to day in the summer.

I am wondering if I should keep the 88 s-10 or go with a newer 94-97 S-10

It is a hard decision to make right now and I am looking for opinions

I bought the V8 chevy with 350 trans
Motor mounts
Radiator from the corvette
Lowered suspension (bell tech 2" drop spindles and 3" lowered leaves) plus new springs for the front

Rebuilt the front suspension

However it still needs a lot of work done to it.
It has rust holes in the corners of the cab and the fenders are not in good shape. There is also a dent on the box. It needs body work over all
needs break lines
I don't have the custom drive shaft made for it.
All the electrical stuff is riped out of it
So there is still work to be done to it.

I am wondering if it would be worth just buying an extended cab truck so it would be more usable and more comfortable...

What I am thinking of doing is just pulling all the parts (V8 and other swap stuff) out and later put them into the newer S-10 when I have the chance.

I don't know though. I like the older style S-10 and I put work into it but it still needs more work. Plus it will still be a Short box and cab
New S-10 would be more workable because I could start using it and do the Swap in the winter time...

What do you people think? I will answer any question to help make the choice easier.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Its sometimes hard to get back into a project. When you look at the big picture it looks like a lot of work and there just doesn't seem time to do it. If you need a truck now then I think I would get one that runs and fix it up later but if you have an attachment to the truck you have now then that could come back on you.
I had a chance to buy a newer Fiero with a motor swap done. The only thing that didn't work on the new one was the AC. But I have an attachment to the one I have now and just work on it when I can. Now if I need a car to go to work it would have been gone.
My car is still a work in progress but thats why I got it. I don't need it for work. I actually have another that I'm working on right now and a third that I drive to work. I think I may have some brain damage or something lol I cant quit buying cars.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Well kind of made the decision to part out the truck and find a newer truck. I looked on ebay and chevy S-10s are a dime a dosen and cheap with V8 swaps. I need a small running truck right now more then I need a project veicle. I will probably keep all the S-10 swap parts plus the V8 and trans and when I have time swap them into the new 1996 S-10. It looks just as easy to do as a 1988. I can probably find one fairly rust free as well. Looking budget wise also, it will be cheaper in the long run. That was kind of the decision maker. I budget it out to see how much more it will take to get the truck running at it will take another 2000-3000 more plus time getting the body restored... maybe not worth it...

I just read the "new project? get organized" thread. Good thread! I should have followed it more

I was going on the project for 2 years then the timing belt went on my Eclipse and I had to pull the engine, replace the head and it took all summer. Now it is kind of hard to look at the S-10

So out of curiosity will any of the suspension parts that I bought for an 88 s-10 work in a 1996 S-10? Or should I part them off?

I also have the problem of buying too many cars and having too many project cars...

1993 Eclipse GS DD
1990 Eclipse GSX Sporty drag
1988 S-10

I need a truck, 4 cars are way too much plus my dad want me to help him fix up a 1967 Oldsmobile 442 and a 1955 chevy truck. I think that would be worth my time to fix up rather then the S-10.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Hindsight is 20/20. For anyone else wanting to do this V8 into an S-10 swap, go to www.v8s10.org All the information you'll need for the swap is there. A 350 engine/TH350 trans with a 9" tailshaft and the right engine mounts from JTR, it's a simple weekend swap with no driveshaft cutting.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

buy a newer s-10 to drive and drive it, work on your older s-10 when you get time and when it's done, sell the newer one that is unmolested. The unmolested truck will probably be worth more in stock form anyways and this way you get to keep the truck you like more in the long run. I think if you try to drive the new one, then do a v8 swap again, you may end up in the exact same position.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.