Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What to do at Car Shows?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
I go to a few shows a year with my car, mostly the small church type of shows, the monies collected stay in the community. I think of this, this way- We pay, usually 20-25 bucks to enter our cars. They want us there around 7-8 a.m. and stick around til 3-4 in the afternoon. They give out a few trophies, which have never interested me very much, we're putting on the show yet we pay for the right to do so. Something wrong here, it makes for a very long day, that's what makes the cruise nights a lot more fun. I do like dash plaques, I plan on making a board someday of all the shows I have attended, it will probably hang in the garage.

I like to look at albums, usually in the trunk of the car, that show what the car looked before, the after, and what it took to get it there. I like to look at a build sheet or plaque, of the engine and trans type, options, customizing pieces. I am a bit like Brian in the aspect of looking at an engine with the hood up, I don't care and it ruins the body lines. If someone wants to see the engine, I lift the hood for a bit.

What makes a car show fun for me: Friends to hang with, 50/50 raffles, hourly raffles, door prizes, a decent lunch, car and crafts booths to look at, it can make a long day a bit shorter if you have something to do. Of course, there are the cars to look at also.
What you are calling a car show Dinger is what we refer to as a rod run. I go to a lot of those in the summer and have a good time. Yes they do have a few trophies but you are still among car guys and with a few exception they are not there for the competition or the trophy. 20 dollars to support the local high school band or local church is money willingly spent.

I was referring to the indoor car shows which are full of cars that have never been on the road and are built strictly for the car show with no expense spared. Some of those guys have a small fortune in their displays.

I go to those shows as a spectator and enjoy looking at the cars but have zero interest in participating in them. I can not drive my car and maintain it to those standards. Not to mention the fact, I have never enjoyed laying on my back with soap suds dripping off my elbows.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
dinger (01-14-2013)