Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What to do at Car Shows?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I have to say that the high end indoor car shows with the mirrors and near perfect (there is no such thing as perfect) cars up on pedestals have their place, and those people who do it aren't evil, and you can find the same comradery as you do at the burger joint drive-in on Friday nights.

Having only done it a few times I don't have much experience, but I found that it was darn interesting and I have respect for those people, not contempt. They are doing something they love with cars just as anyone else. Yes it takes a lot more money, and I understand how they can seem high brow or something like that, but they are really just like any other car nut. And many, MANY of them are showing their street car, their very nice street car only once or once in a while just like any of us may do (I don't have that nice of a car these days, but the time will come again).

Yes there are a few of these cars that are CRAZY high dollar ($250K+ is VERY common) but these guys are often old car nuts that had "common" cars that now have piles of bucks to build something super amazing and detailed down to the inside of the glove box, they can afford it and they do it just as many of us would if we hit the lotto.

While spending the day there on set up day, it really is a neat experience and you meet all kinds of people. You will see the near perfect cars come in out of closed trailers with plastic over their tires so they don't get dirty, and you will see nice drivers that get driven to the show and then the guys spend the whole day cleaning them up.

Is there politics, heck yes there is, just like at any event that is "judged" by someone. I was a boxer, one of the sports that is judged, and I have told all my kids not to do it, get into sports that have a clear and defined winner. It is always easier with a clear and defined winner like in a drag race. But if you don't take it too seriously, and understand when the guy wins over you who's car may not be as nice, he has shown cars at that show maybe for years, he has earned money for the promotor being ticket buyers come in to see those cars, and he is known, you are going to be more forgiving to someone you know and like, it's only human nature and most of us would he damn hard pressed to over come it, it's human nature.

Like I said, it's different, and I personally being a detail nut love them, I love those crazy detailed cars. And I loved showing them with waxing the underside of the floor and frame and all, mirrors, carpet under it, display goodies, yes even the fence. It's just a different kinda show, and a knockout to be a part of a few times like I have. But I honestly could see getting hooked on it real easy.

Brian