What to do at Car Shows? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

And I was thinking you should go and find a car with a Flathead Ford V8. Go stand close to it, and see how many people ask about the V-6 engine, because it only has three exhaust pipes per side.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
Thanks guys

I've taken every bit of advice given to me by this forum so far, so I'll do them same here too

Once the car is freshly completed I'll enter one show, then spend the rest of my time enjoying it

That is a good way to go. Or, keep the car nice and do a quick detail job on it and show it any time you want. High end cars shows have a place, just like cruise nights. I love them both.

Brian
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I go to a few shows a year with my car, mostly the small church type of shows, the monies collected stay in the community. I think of this, this way- We pay, usually 20-25 bucks to enter our cars. They want us there around 7-8 a.m. and stick around til 3-4 in the afternoon. They give out a few trophies, which have never interested me very much, we're putting on the show yet we pay for the right to do so. Something wrong here, it makes for a very long day, that's what makes the cruise nights a lot more fun. I do like dash plaques, I plan on making a board someday of all the shows I have attended, it will probably hang in the garage.

I like to look at albums, usually in the trunk of the car, that show what the car looked before, the after, and what it took to get it there. I like to look at a build sheet or plaque, of the engine and trans type, options, customizing pieces. I am a bit like Brian in the aspect of looking at an engine with the hood up, I don't care and it ruins the body lines. If someone wants to see the engine, I lift the hood for a bit.

What makes a car show fun for me: Friends to hang with, 50/50 raffles, hourly raffles, door prizes, a decent lunch, car and crafts booths to look at, it can make a long day a bit shorter if you have something to do. Of course, there are the cars to look at also.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
I go to a few shows a year with my car, mostly the small church type of shows, the monies collected stay in the community. I think of this, this way- We pay, usually 20-25 bucks to enter our cars. They want us there around 7-8 a.m. and stick around til 3-4 in the afternoon. They give out a few trophies, which have never interested me very much, we're putting on the show yet we pay for the right to do so. Something wrong here, it makes for a very long day, that's what makes the cruise nights a lot more fun. I do like dash plaques, I plan on making a board someday of all the shows I have attended, it will probably hang in the garage.

I like to look at albums, usually in the trunk of the car, that show what the car looked before, the after, and what it took to get it there. I like to look at a build sheet or plaque, of the engine and trans type, options, customizing pieces. I am a bit like Brian in the aspect of looking at an engine with the hood up, I don't care and it ruins the body lines. If someone wants to see the engine, I lift the hood for a bit.

What makes a car show fun for me: Friends to hang with, 50/50 raffles, hourly raffles, door prizes, a decent lunch, car and crafts booths to look at, it can make a long day a bit shorter if you have something to do. Of course, there are the cars to look at also.
What you are calling a car show Dinger is what we refer to as a rod run. I go to a lot of those in the summer and have a good time. Yes they do have a few trophies but you are still among car guys and with a few exception they are not there for the competition or the trophy. 20 dollars to support the local high school band or local church is money willingly spent.

I was referring to the indoor car shows which are full of cars that have never been on the road and are built strictly for the car show with no expense spared. Some of those guys have a small fortune in their displays.

I go to those shows as a spectator and enjoy looking at the cars but have zero interest in participating in them. I can not drive my car and maintain it to those standards. Not to mention the fact, I have never enjoyed laying on my back with soap suds dripping off my elbows.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
dinger (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'll do the cruise-ins mostly - and there are several each week within 25 or so miles. I'll also do smaller local shows plus two big ones. Usually car shows for me is just a place to park while I wander the rest of the show. I will return back to the car regularly, but wont stay more then a few minutes and that's just to check on it. As far as prep and contrivances - I only make sure the car is as clean as possible(it always is) plus print off my fact sheet of major parts as someone always asks what something is - and since CRS set in many years ago, drag that out if I can't remember.

There is one thing that does gripe me - a gathering of a bunch of folks right at the back of the car (often 2-3 cars) that are so close that you have to walk through or into their group to look at those cars. I wont. While I don't have any problem with these people gathering, just move away a bit so spectators can take a good look at your cars without breaking into that group.

Mirrors and ramps - this usually says to me that the person is thinking "I have LOTS of money and and PAID this big buck shop many dollars to build my car and now I want to show off" plus it conveys an 'attitude'. And is often a trailer queen car.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
how about showing us some of them pictures?
Not too much to show just yet

The car's at the bodyshop whilst I learn about the mechanics and rebuild those

My original plan was to do the bodywork myself, but you guys talked me out of it

I wanted to do it myself, partly to keep the costs down (the car isn't worth much money) but mainly because I wanted to be able to say I'd done it myself

But, I posted some pictures of my welding and got told I needed a lot more practice

Since I need to get the car finished, and I have very little time to myself (self employed) I decided I needed to get a bodyshop involved

(I'm still practicing my welding though)

Anyway, here's where it stands so far

Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Never entered a car in a show. Mainly because I've never had a car w/a paint job.

But if I were to enter one, I'd do a total retro look deal, complete w/the fiberglass floss, mirrors under the tipped up car (w/a wheel off to show off the upholstered fender well and chrome wherewithal), lights, the whole shlekhtly deal.

My thoughts are, old timers like me would get a kick out of it and the younger guys who may well have never seen such a thing would get a dose of how it used to be- and be all the happier they "missed out" on it.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-14-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

From the way this thread is shaping up all you need is.....

A local meet
A build spec sheet
Photo album

Then spend the rest of the time enjoying the day
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

and make some friends.

A few years ago I was at the Cow palace show in San Francisco Hobbling around with my cane, and ran into Blackie in his Walker.and some one else on crutches. I asked . Well guys "Do we still drive fast" I stopped to look over the home built cars in the basement and Ron Covell stopped to look and ask a kid about the Zephyr front on his Rat truck. After Ron left I said to the kid Ron gave you a pretty good compliment. and he asked who?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
A few years ago I was at the Cow palace show in San Francisco Hobbling around with my cane, and ran into Blackie in his Walker.and some one else on crutches. I asked . Well guys "Do we still drive fast" I stopped to look over the home built cars in the basement and Ron Covell stopped to look and ask a kid about the Zephyr front on his Rat truck. After Ron left I said to the kid Ron gave you a pretty good compliment. and he asked who?
Sad, Ron is a class act for sure. But to give the kid a break, I don't think I would recognize Blackie and I have met him, but that was 25 years ago and between him changing and my mind failing, I don't think I could pick him out of a crowd. Not unless he was driving his golf cart with the Lincoln grille on it. I think it was a Lincoln grille that it had at least, again, there is my memory.

Brian
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Refresher

L to R: Fennle, Winfield, Barris, Blackie, Sam Foose (Chip Foose dad). I learned while looking for this photo that Mike Fennle passed away just recently.

Ron Covell, fairly recent.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
From the way this thread is shaping up all you need is.....

A local meet
A build spec sheet
Photo album

Then spend the rest of the time enjoying the day
Absolutely under no circumstances forget your cooler!

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
dinger (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

john long put it well. truk has never been to a car show; a multitude of cruise in's and 2 hot rod power tours, but never a car show in 15000 miles.
any time i see a car on mirrors showing off a spotless undercarriage and polished exhaust, i see a zero mile, zero fun trailer queen.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Last journal entry: Finally got some done
Last photo:

I'll put my two cents in. I live in the middle of no where, there are almost no cruise ins, but over the spring/summer months there is a car show every weekend within an hours drive. All of them charity sponsored. I did thirty four shows last summer and enjoyed every one. I appreciate the trophies but that is not what I'm there for, any way the one I get is usually due to not enough entries so we all got one (even better). But the main thing is this...the very first show I went to when my hot rod was ready was where I met a guy who has become a very close friend and then I made even more friends and we all rod in together when we can. That's what it's about.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

Did one car show right after finishing the car. Salt Lake Autorama. Fun to do it once, but probably never again. Got my 10.00 plaque, met lots of people, then got in and drove it 3000 miles that first year. I like to go to the local cruise ins, but just long enough to walk around and look at everyone else's car. Driving is a blast. I even use it to do my daily pick up and delivery's for my business. This spring I will get the air conditioning in so my wife and I can do some long hauls. Also want to get it out to Bonneville this Summer, not to race, just to watch and get some great photos out on the SALT.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.