What to do at Car Shows? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to do at Car Shows?

I'm still a million miles away from finishing my car, but I'm already planning what to do at car shows

Since you guys are far better at this sort of thing than us Brits, I was hoping you could give me some pointers on what to do to ensure I get the attention my car (hopefully) deserves

Should I put it on a mat?
What about mirrors?
Do I need a write-up?
Should I jack it up, or put it on ramps?

As you can tell, I have no idea what's good, bad, and indifferent

What's going to be beneficial in showing the car and winning me some points, and what are the over the top things that I should avoid?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,057 Posts
Well, I have been building street rods and custom cars for 40 years and I can definitely give you good advice.

Do not buy mirrors, posts or a mat to put it on. Instead find out where the local cruise ins are and where the guys gather with their cars on monday night or wednesday night or when ever.

You will have a whole lot more fun driving your car and hanging around with like minded people than you will going to a show trying to compete for a 3 dollar trophy against people who have more money to spend and then having to deal with the politics of show car judging. Bottom line is drive it and enjoy it. Most car guys are great people that is where the fun is.

If you just have to be a car show guy, go to the closest World of Wheels Car Show or other indoor show and you will get all kinds of ideas for a display. The sky is the limit. Mirrors, Platforms, turntables, stantions, etc, etc etc.

John L
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Well, I have been building street rods and custom cars for 40 years and I can definitely give you good advice.

Do not buy mirrors, posts or a mat to put it on. Instead find out where the local cruise ins are and where the guys gather with their cars on monday night or wednesday night or when ever.

You will have a whole lot more fun driving your car and hanging around with like minded people than you will going to a show trying to compete for a 3 dollar trophy against people who have more money to spend and then having to deal with the politics of show car judging. Bottom line is drive it and enjoy it. Most car guys are great people that is where the fun is.

If you just have to be a car show guy, go to the closest World of Wheels Car Show or other indoor show and you will get all kinds of ideas for a display. The sky is the limit. Mirrors, Platforms, turntables, stantions, etc, etc etc.

John L

Agreed, The way I see it there's no point in having a car you can't drive and enjoy. Plus I agree that the fun is the people you meet and the ideas and information you share etc. Good luck on the build post up some pictures if you get time.

Kelly
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Amen John L, Amen!

At 52 years of age I have participated in 1 car show. That was the one and only show I have attended. I did so with my 82 year old grandfather. He was a Model T guy. We went to the show, paid the registration fee, parked my A-bone, and then proceeded to hit the swap meet area and walked through the "show car" area. Then we drank a root beer and left.

He passed last year. I still remember the smile on his face as I rowed through the gears as I left the car show. He was looking out the window, obviously thinking about days gone by.

Do the cruise in's. That's where the guys that built their cars hang out. Car shows... that's where you park your car on the street, check out what's there, and then head home for an oil change, or a tune up, or merely to park your rod and get ready to go to work tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John L
So very true...

This right here is #1.''politics of show car judging''.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Drive to the show , Have a beer or two, Eat dinner , B.S. about cars , horsepower , make some new buds, look around, check the girls out, jump in and pull away with class. Then smoke up the tires 2 or 3 blocks away. Enjoy when your ready!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Drive to the show , Have a beer or two, Eat dinner , B.S. about cars , horsepower , make some new buds, look around, check the girls out, jump in and pull away with class. Then smoke up the tires 2 or 3 blocks away. Enjoy when your ready!!
Danged if you aren't making me anxious for spring killeratrod.

John L
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Not to brag! But i am on the Gulf of Mexico in sunny Florida. More cruz nites then i can make in a 100 mile radius. And only 1 hour or so to the other coast Daytona. Today 79 degrees!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Not to brag! But i am on the Gulf of Mexico in sunny Florida. More cruz nites then i can make in a 100 mile radius. And only 1 hour or so to the other coast Daytona. Today 79 degrees!!
Now you are being just plain mean.

John L
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

cruz nites are much more fun then any show..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Sorry not intended !! I can send you one of them Sunshine in a can things!! Think about the trade off, soon it will be 100 outside and you will be 68. Perfect horsepower weather. And i will be lagging and stuck in AC or doing 100 in the 50 mile per hour zone!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys

I've taken every bit of advice given to me by this forum so far, so I'll do them same here too

Once the car is freshly completed I'll enter one show, then spend the rest of my time enjoying it
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u View Post
Thanks guys

I've taken every bit of advice given to me by this forum so far, so I'll do them same here too

Once the car is freshly completed I'll enter one show, then spend the rest of my time enjoying it
That sounds like a plan ant_8u. You can take lots of pictures and it will always be fun to have them of the car on display. What ever you do, I hope you really enjoy the car. Thanks for letting us have a little fun.

John L
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I've got lots of pictures of the build so far
It'd be nice to have some when it's finished too

After that I'll get it out on the road where it should be

Thanks again
Ant
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

how about showing us some of them pictures?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.