Hot Rod Forum banner

What to do with current sender after gauge install

784 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  66GMC 
#1 ·
I am running some mechanical gauges and was wondering what you guys do with the factory senders? I am replacing my oil pressure and water temp gauges and am going to be using the current fittings.

Do you guys just leave the current senders hanging, cut it, or tap another spot for the gauge sensors?

#2 ·
I try to "T" into oil connections and keep the sender/light. With coolant temp, there is usually another spot on the intake to put it and keep the light. Gauges are great but all of us get inattentive on occasion and what about if someone else drives your car? Keep the lights.

#5 ·
Yes, use thread sealant like Permatex. T's work well for oil pressure but, IMO, not so much for coolant temp. I would find an alternate on the intake for that. If you don't have one close, some aftermarket Tstat housings have a fitting that works OK for a hot light, after warm-up, since they're usually on the wrong side of the stat.

#6 ·
x2 on having both lights and guages.

My 454 is going to have both. In fact, I have plumbed in a dual (hot / cold) temperature switch with a blue light for cold.

I'm running forged pistons that run fairly loose when cold, and want a reminder to let it warm up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.