what to do with my 307 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what to do with my 307

guys
I am a new member to this site but have been reading it for a long time and have found that your answers are very informative. So I hope you can help me decide. I have a super clean 1970 RS Camaro that should be out of the paint shop in about two week. Its being painted hugger orange with white Z28 stripes. When I bought the car it came with a correct date code 12 posi rear end ( one year only 69's will not fit 70's and gm when with a 10 bolt onlt in 71 ) a rear sway bar option, and a 8000 tach ( z28 option only ). The car has a/c power steering power brakes full gauge opton and center consle. Someone installed rear disc brakes on the axle. I could pull the 307 and put a 350 in it but i really dont want to spend the money on a 350 and lose the # matching engine and 350 auto tranny. I want to make the car a drive but so nice that it could be a quality car at a show. i have the protect a plate that shows it is a 307 10 bolt true RS. Its a nice car. I would love to have the original engine in the car and build it with EFI on it to be drivable. i really dont want to lose the heads either. I do sometimes think of pulling the engine and keeping it and putting in a LS1 or LS2. Iwould love to hear your ideas.
Thanks Pete

Advertisement

Last edited by ztechhd; 07-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

If the 307 needs rebuilt you're in for a disappointment. Decent quality performance pistons are NLA. You're best bet is to store the 307 in a dry place if it's that important to keep it but having a numbers matching "307" isn't going to get too many people excited and it sure won't make much difference in value if you decide to ever sell it.

You'd be much happier with the car if you swapped in a more performance oriented engine and it would actually increase the value to anyone looking for a '70 RS.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

As Hippie said, a #'s matching 307 just doesn't excite folks, yank it and store it. Go to the "Year One" web site and look at their 383 crate engine that is dyno'd at 400 hp and 400 ft lbs. for $2995. OR buy a 350 vortec roller motor out of a truck and build it...or???? your options are endless. I will ask you, why would anyone buy a nice clone Z-28 with Hugger orange paint and the stripes with a 307.....ain't gonna happen. Good luck with your build.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

The real interest and value is in "all original" cars. Value depends heavily on correct restoration parts and documentaion (like protect-o-plate) that verify originality.

For you that ship has sailed: The 12 bolt rear is great, but date code correct doesn't cut it as "original" especially since your protect-o-plate says 10 bolt. Also, the rear disc brakes are great, but they would have to be "original" equipment. I don't have any data on rear disc brakes for 70 Camaro, so I don't know if they were even available as an option.

The good news, the '70 Camaro is a great car, fairly rare and they make great drivers. Keeping the 307 for a future correct restoration is not a bad idea, but the value of keeping it requires restoring the car to correct "original" configuration. Unless your car is a Z/28, the tach and 12 bolt don't belong (could there be documeted exceptions? do you have the documentation?)

For me, trying to build a 307 into a performance engine is a non starter. Limited success can be expected, with more cost and less performance than most of the other small block engines that you could use. In fact a more modern stock vortec 305 would outperform most 307 builds.

Get to work on a good 350 or 383 build, use aluminum heads and modern EFI for a screamer with street manners and reasonable fuel economy.

My personal preference for show, chrome/billet has been done to death, focus on good detail to make your engine bay show worthy - check my journal, my engine has zero chrome (will have a fuel line and bracket in chrome when done - not intentionally chrome).
Old 07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I would store the 307 it's not going to do alot for that 70, But if you build a 350 or 400 for it then it would be sweet.JMO Post some pics for us also.

Cole
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

307 ?

thanks guys you all have said the same thing in different words. I had a # matching 71 Chevelle 454 365hp M22 car with all the paperwork. I loved the building of the car but it was show quality and you really couldn't drive it without spending a day cleaning it. It now sits in a collection in CA. this time I want a car that I can enjoy and drive. I must be still hung up on # matching as that was important with the Chevelle. I guess now do i do a 350 or a LS motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02236.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	46684  

Last edited by ztechhd; 07-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

"I guess now do i do a 350 or a LS motor"

I don't know BUT that car just says Big Block all over it.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Being you want a driver, than I don`t recommend anything with high horsepower or anything else that may temp you into nailing on it at the risk of twisting the body. I recommend getting a 1996 and up Vortec 350. You can put very little into these engines and get alot back. With the right pieces it`ll give you plenty of low end torque to get the car moving with decent mileage. You don`t have to have hot rod pieces to enjoy a driver. The route I took on my last driver builds was to keep everything mild and focus on the low end torque the engine made since on the street I wasn`t looking to race or attract attention, I was just looking for rock solid transportation that would get up and go when I needed it to yet have good manners.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Personally I like the Vortec option. You can build a mild 1 Pc. rear main roller cam 350 or 383 with mostly factory parts that your Grandma could drive to church but could easily put that Camaro in the high 13's on 87 Octane. Back it up with a built 200-4R and 3.73 gears and it would run as good as any real 1970 Z/28 but get a lot better mileage. I think Shiftworks makes a conversion kit to adapt your factory shifter to a 200-4R or 700R4 shift pattern so you can keep the factory console and stirrup shifter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.