Hot Rod Forum banner

What to do with nails when replaceing wood

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mutt's37Buick 
#1 ·
I'm just starting the process of replacing the wood in my 37 Buick Roadmaster with steel. After removing the wood there are nails through the sheet-etal that joined the sheet-etal to the wood. Some of these came loose as I removed the wood and some are still intact. Some are along what appears to be seams between two sheets at the corner.
1) Should I leave remaining the nails alone and just prime and paint them before covering up.
2) Are these seams welded in some way or do I need to weld in the inside to replace the joint they formed with the wood?
See pictures.
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think removing them would be better.
They are probably a different material than the sheet metal,
maybe not, but if so that could promote rust.
Plus they are apt to crack the finish and let moisture in
if left in place and just painted over.
It may last fine if left in, but if it's not to much trouble removing
them then why chance it.

#3 ·
I'm also thinking they should be removed. Did determine that when the nails are removed, the two perpendicular panels are loose from each other. In other words, the nails are passing through the two panels at a lap joint. I'm planning on MIG welding the two panels together.
1) Does anyone have any added pointers they can share on how you have handled these loose joints between panels?
Thanks

#6 ·
Yeah remove them. When I did a twenties Buick Roadster they were simply welded up and the braces were welded in along the edge. Wish we had taken more pictures than we did darn it.

Brian

Reactions: Mutt's37Buick
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.