What do pro trans builders do with rebuilt 700R4 planetary bearings? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 09:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What do pro trans builders do with rebuilt 700R4 planetary bearings?

I just tore into a '91 core that is going to be rebuilt and put in my truck.
I found the input carrier ring gear support bearing chewed up. i will replace the whole front planetary with one out of another trans.
But what do you do about the trapped bearing? How do you know if its any good? Just do a feel test?
I could be wrong but I wouldn't think that all rebuilt 700's get new planetaries.
Do all the top rebuilders use the old planetaries or is there a rebuild procedure, or do they put in new ones?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

these front planet torington bearings are seldom trouble.

When they go bad , obviously they can take out the pinion gears of the carrier and the outer ring gear too. The needle bearings get looose & into the gears and they chew themslves up.

The captured bearing can only be replaced if the planet is rebuilt where the pins are pressed out. I am not aware of a fold up type of bearing that can be easily inserted.

I see more rear planet torrington bearings bad than the front planetary bearings. This generally is a lubrication problem easily corrrected with the proper clearances in the bushings, end play, sealing ring land areas and drilling out the lube feed hole in the stator

I have a custom mandrel I use to check the bearings. I put pressure on the bearing while spinning it.

Tony

Last edited by Crosley; 09-06-2003 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply
So thats all thats typically done is a thorough inspection of each plantary and it's captured bearing and these are reused in the high performance rebuilds?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

700 bearing

after enough time at rebuilding you learn how to check bearing for wear. not to many transmission re-builder replace or should I say dismantle planets to check the bearing inside unless the bearing will come out without pressing out the pin and gears. thats too much time wasted the bearing failure is always noticeable if you have the experience
Old 09-06-2003, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Airworld, I'm sure I can make a dowel to test the bearing and feel for roughness, I've done it before on loose (accessable) torrington bearings and felt roughness, pryed it apart and seen pitted races.
I have just always wondered what builders like B&M, TCI, Hughes, Bowtie overdrives, etc do it. I know they all don't rebuild or replace the planetaries.
I want to be sure my rebuild is up there with the pros
I want it to be reliable, I just built a couple of th400's and found all three main bearings pitted on both, luckily they can be visually inspected and replaced for cheap.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I thought we were talking about the front planet only.

We install new rear planets in all HP units. usually 4 pinion, sometimes 5 pinion units front and rear.

Tony
Old 09-07-2003, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

700 bearing

jason cant be up with the pro if you arent one, one time rebuilder doesnt make you a pro makes you a want to be rebuilder 700 tranny are not the easy pro built tranny many mods are made to make them last.......
Old 09-07-2003, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Re: 700 bearing

Quote:
Originally posted by airworld2
jason cant be up with the pro if you arent one, one time rebuilder doesnt make you a pro makes you a want to be rebuilder 700 tranny are not the easy pro built tranny many mods are made to make them last.......
I'm not sure if that comment was necessary. I've built more than one transmission. I've built transmissions for almost every friend i have and sold a few in the newpaper classifieds.
The first 700 I built back in '97 got a transgo 2&3 kit and ran 13 flat behind my 406 in a '75 nova, that's not that impressive but I wanted a manual trans again so I sold the 700 to a guy who, to this day, has it in a 55 chevy nomad wagon that he uses to tow a pro street vega around the country.
I've also built the th400 in my friends bosses '89 silverado with a 540 bbc pushing well over 800 hp. And I've built the th400 in my nova, the 700 in the s-10 I used to own that ran mid 12's.
I figure if I can do all that than I can handle building another 700 for my own truck.
No I'm not a pro and I'm not up to all the ATSG update bulletins or whatever the hell.
And no I'm sure thats nothing compared to what experience you have.
But can't I ask a question? Why don't you default all your answers to 'you're not a pro transmission builder so thats the problem'. What the hell is this forum for?
I have a book made up of printed out modifications, etc from pro builders who are nice enough to give advice.
All I know is the transmissions I've built have worked for the applications they were built for.

So let me guess, all you do is build transmissions, you can't do tune ups because your not an engine mechanic, you can't do improvements around your home because you're not a carpenter, you can't fix your computer because you're not a computer tech?
Lets see, I bet you've done some of each sucessfully even though you work as a transmission builder. So why can't the non transmission builder step over that line and do something he was not formally trained for and doesn't do everyday?
What the hell is the problem?
Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

700 bearing

Jason the board is about all things , your statement was you want to do all the things the pros do..... my rebuttal was stating that your not a pro when you do it 1 or even 2 times . Ive read your post and have given input on some I can do a tune up and can do home repairs but that doesn't make me think I compare with those in that field as if I where a pro in that area.... you ask for words from the pros don't whine when you don't like their words.... I ve been transmission repair for many years and seen many who think ohh its so easy Ill try it.... come back when you have been rebuilding transmission for 23 years and tell me what you know. I'll help anyone I can but don't take the words I say to harsh... advise is not always postive here

Jason I re-read your last post your the big time builder what are you asking for knowlege for!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by airworld2; 09-07-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

Re: 700 bearing

Quote:
Originally posted by airworld2
Jason the board is about all things , your statement was you want to do all the things the pros do..... my rebuttal was stating that your not a pro when you do it 1 or even 2 times . Ive read your post and have given input on some I can do a tune up and can do home repairs but that doesn't make me think I compare with those in that field as if I where a pro in that area.... you ask for words from the pros don't whine when you don't like their words.... I ve been transmission repair for many years and seen many who think ohh its so easy Ill try it.... come back when you have been rebuilding transmission for 23 years and tell me what you know. I'll help anyone I can but don't take the words I say to harsh... advise is not always postive here

Jason I re-read your last post your the big time builder what are you asking for knowlege for!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
I want to be sure my rebuild is up there with the pros
I guess that rubbed you the wrong way? All I'm asking is what to the professional transmission builders do with that one peticular part. Why does it have to turn into this, just because you took offense to that one thing said.
Sure then I take offense to being called a rebuilder wanna be, sure I don't like those words who would. Sounds like we're back in high school shop class or something.

Quote:
Jason I re-read your last post your the big time builder
More of this grade school bs.

Quote:
come back when you have been rebuilding transmission for 23 years
Thats a good one, pat yourself on the back some more.
I know I can do it and if it blows up guess what....I'll build something else, I love to build transmissions, all the transmissions I've sold in the newspapers have been in my car running, didn't like the manual so I tried a 700, got tired of that and sold it, used the manual again got tired of that, sold it, put in a th350C, got tired of that sold it, put in a th350, tired of that sold it, now it's got a th400, why? I don't know I just like doing it.
I have 12 cores I bought from my local junkyard, why, just in case I need something to do I guess
Face it, it's not brain surgery. It's not easy either and not everyone can do it but you don't know everyone on this board and you don't know what each of us is capable of.
I came here to ask for a pro's advice not a lecture. Thanks for showing what an ashole you are
Old 09-07-2003, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

700 bearing

what you say maybe true but your here asking for help not the other way around ....... I'm the guy the rebuilds transmission 5 days a weeks 52 weeks a year for the past 23 years I think I can find the trouble where others fail too, but thats because I was at one time a wanna be re-builder if tranny are what you want to do for a living put your best foot forward and find the answers for yourself thats the best way to find what will from what wont work. I haven't be in high school for many years but trannny school is in for me everyday never too smart to learn more. transmission change fast in the world you have to be on your toes or someone will put you out of the business
Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I haven't be in high school for many years

LOL
Me neither, I chose to do something non automotive for a career so I wouldn't get burned out with it and stay happy doing it as a hobby.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

I've done a lot of different things over the years for a short while. Always come back to tranny work. Must be a sickness

I am gathering information on HVAC stuff so i can hang some a/c inside my home shop. I gotta figure the size needed.

I was just up in my attic of my house fixing the drain system on the catch pan for my 4 year old air handler. When the drain line runs up hill , it does not drain well.

Why it never over flowed & run down the interior walls till now is beyond me.

I guess some folks can learn, others can't.

I had an electrical guy add power steering fluid to his brake master cylinder years ago. he blamed the brake problem on us tranny guys that had just rebuilt the tranny in his GM van.......

Tony
Old 09-07-2003, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Why it never over flowed & run down the interior walls till now is beyond me.
Seeing how it runs uphill means it runs very slow, a slow running drain will build up slime inside the line, I've seen some closed up like a bad artery.
Got to get the a/h raised up enough to get good pitch on the drain line. Then put as much pitch to it as possible.
If it's bad enough the pan inside the a/h may be full of slime and blocking the drain opening. Hopefully you have an emergency pan under the unit.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

700 bearing

This is not directed toward anyone
Transmission repair is all I've ever been involved with since I was out of school and it been good to me and my whole family. yep I have one big chip on my shoulder I have seen many of my customer's that have said{ The guy down the street fixed it for in his garage didn't know what he was doing now I came here} thats bad for anyone spending there money and then get well I don't know whats wrong. doing yourself sometimes is penny wise but dollar foolish. when it comes to transmission repair I eat sleep and dream about its my life that dedication

Last edited by airworld2; 09-08-2003 at 05:43 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.