what to do!?!?!? sbc rebuild on a buget - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2002, 06:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool what to do!?!?!? sbc rebuild on a buget

I HAVE A '87 THRU '92 350 STOCK. THE MOTOR HAS SET FOR A WHILE AND NEEDS TO BE REBUILD. I'M PUTTING IT IN A '86 MONTE SS, AND WANT A LITTLE EXTRA POWER WITH OUT SPENDING A S**T LOAD OF CASH WHAT CAN I DO CHEAP??

MY CAR HAD A 305H.O. AND I LOVED IT CAN'T WAIT TILL I PUT THIS 350 IN!!

THANKS JDDREN

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2002, 02:35 PM

Power is money sir. What is your budget?
If you don't have GM L31 Vortec heads, this is a great addition for low bucks. You may already have them if yours is a truck motor. You will want to change the cam in the rebuild anyway. So if you are willing to spring $450 for the heads, $200 for the intake and $150 for rocker arms on top of the rebuild cost, you can have 325hp motor pretty easily. Spend another $300 for a stroker crank and you could be in the high 350 to 380 hp range with a top tune.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:17 PM

MY BUDGET IS ABOUT $800. BUT THIS IS FOR EVERTHING FROM BATTERY TO U-JOINTS AND FROM AIR CLEANER TO MOTOR MOUNTS. I HAVE THE HEADS FOR THE H.O. 305 THE ARE IN GREAT SHAPEAND HAVE BIG VALVES. THE HEADS THA CAME ON THE 350 ARE NOT A NUMBER MATCHING SET AND LOOK VERY BAD VALVES SET LOW IN THIER SEATS.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:07 PM

those 305 heads will bump your compression and if you are willing to live with 5000rpms they will be good,match the ports to gaskets and clean up the pockets a bit,get some chevy brown valve springs(about 55bucks a set).these heads have 184in intakes and ports slightly smaller than stock 350, the combustion chambers should be around 60cc. these heads will build low end torque and will probably max out around 5 grand,the small chambers will give higher compression so watch your duration when picking your cam.when picking your cam keep these things in mind... power from idle to 5000,full duration around 262,moderate lift(440 to 460)and use small dia headders,500 to 600 cfm carb(smaller the better
Old 07-09-2002, 05:32 PM

Budget: Check Summit racing at www.Summitracing.com they have a number of packages that are all matched. Dave E Shank
Old 07-09-2002, 06:50 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Rebuild the short block stock w/ high vol oil pump & moly rings. Have a 3 angle valve job done on the 305 heads w/ springs to match the cam and new seals.Select a mild cam.I had this motor w/ a cam 280/290dur 214/224dur @ 050 .443/.465lift 112sep. This motor run like a raped ape!!
Toms right keep it to 5000rpm.Also your stock intake & carb should work fine to 5000rpm.Get 1 5/8" headers.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:16 PM

THANKS A LOT !!!
MY INTAKE IS STOCK ALUMINUM WITH A Q-JET ON IT. I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE CAM,DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM OTHER THAN HOW THE WORK. WHAT ABOUT A SET OF UNDER DRIVE PULLEYS OR MAYBE A HOTTER COIL .
ANY GUESSES ON HOW MUCH HP. AND TORQUE

THANKS FOR ALLTHE HELP
Old 07-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I'd have to agree with 78 monte except for the oil pump. A high volume oil pump actually drains quite a bit more power than a stock oil pump. And not to mention, they are not even necessary unless you are regularly turning above 6000rpms.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

I recommend the edelbrock performer package. Intake #3701@$141.00, camshaft #3702 @ $123.99. 1 and 5/8 inch tube headers about $200.00 and their performer 600 cfm carb @$181.00. This group is a recommended street/strip combo for sbc. There's a lot of research money invested in this combo, and the price is right. Best of all, THEY MATCH. You wont have too much of one thing and not enough of another. Much better than a shot in the dark. I plan to go this route on a future build up. Good Luck and the prices are JEGS as of today.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.