What to do with these headers? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to do with these headers?

So I am building my 48 chevy with a brand new zz4 crate engine and I have new coated sanderson headers. It says not to break a new engine in with them but I figured since it was a roller cam I should be able to start it and shut it off after 30 seconds and let them cool. I was going to have a timing light ready to go as soon as it starts. It will just be tough to reinstall them on a fresh car if I try use other manifolds. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM
WrenchingAce

I've broken in plenty of engines with ceramic coated headers with no ill effects. All you need to do is jet the carb as close and you can and get the timing in the ball park, preferably slightly advanced, before you start the engine. You already have the timing light hooked up and ready to go and you do have a roller cam so most of your problems are taken care if right there. Just start the engine and get the light on the timing asap and you should be just fine.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

ceramic headers

Okay, so I'm naive. What the heck is the (potential) problem with using ceramic headers on a new engine?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
WrenchingAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38mike
Okay, so I'm naive. What the heck is the (potential) problem with using ceramic headers on a new engine?
Some people say that it might "dull" the finish. I say big deal...after years of use the shine will go away. I think that's the issue anyways. Maybe others have had different issues.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Most flat-cammed engines need to stay at fast idle for 20 minutes. If the jetting is off or the timing isn't perfect the headers get screaming hot. Ceramic coated headers get their final cure from exhaust heat, so if it gets too hot it can damage the ceramic coating.

Its not a given that they will be damaged, but its a common enough problem that it voids the warranty.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Ya I think I will just try that then and have thetiming light ready to go. Should be ok. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
....but I figured since it was a roller cam I should be able to start it and shut it off after 30 seconds and let them cool.
I think you'll be fine, as you say the roller requires no break-in so if the engine starts to get a little warm just shut it down and let it cool off.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

If you have an IR gun you can monitor the header temp; If header temp starts climbing above 1000F then you can start to sweat.

Do your home work and try to get carb preset close. You can quickly adjust idle mix screw on the rich side; careful not to foul plugs.

Quickly verify timing as others said.

I set fans in front of radiator.

I open radiator drain and have a steady stream of cold water going into radiator.

I mist radiator fins with water.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The fans are a good idea if you were going to do a flat tappet cam break in. But since it`s a roller you have no worries. I bought jet hot coated hooker super comps for my cutlass in `07. I didn`t have to do a break in either being it had a roller cam, no matter, after a month you could see the rust under the nice shiny finish. almost 500 bucks for a set of headers and they still rust, can`t win.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
The fans are a good idea if you were going to do a flat tappet cam break in. But since it`s a roller you have no worries. I bought jet hot coated hooker super comps for my cutlass in `07. I didn`t have to do a break in either being it had a roller cam, no matter, after a month you could see the rust under the nice shiny finish. almost 500 bucks for a set of headers and they still rust, can`t win.
Mr. Vision,
I sure would love to see a picture of your damaged jet hot ceramic coated header damage. I have worked with ceramic coatings and they are tough. Takes forever to remove with aluminum oxide blasting media. I understand rust popping out near crevices. Did rust pop through the smooth surfaces? So far so good with my JBA ceramic coated SS headers.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Mine discolored when I used them on a 454 break-in, but I didn't care about looks. I was more concerned with longevity of the coating. The outsides of the downturn right after the port got chalky. About 20k later the ceramic started to show little hairline cracks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.