What to do, what to do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What to do, what to do?

Hey guys. So, I need some advice, as I might have taken a decent, drivable car and turned it into a worthless pile. Car in question is my 88 Cutlass by the way.

I have everything stripped, interior totally gutted, and and I'm ready to pull out the motor and tranny and then lift off the body. I am currently working at a smaller resto shop, which just oppened a new shop for collision repair. I was going to do a full blown restoration, using the shop to store and make all the repairs and paint.

Work has totally died down, so I have made maybe a couple hundred bucks in the last month. I do not have a daily driver, because I cant afford one yet, so Im driving my parents gas-guzzler ford pickup. If work stays this terribly slow for much longer, Im going to have to find another shop to work at. Apparently, shops around here which allow you to work on your own stuff after hours are a rareity.

My girlfriends parents are moving into a smaller place, so she has to move out once their current place sells. So, I will be moving in the next couple of months. With housing so ridiculously high right now, I cant afford a house, let alone one with a garage,so I will have no where to keep the car.

Big problem lays here....as I said, my car is in total pieces. What do I do? I will feel like an idiot putting everything back together, leaving rusted floorpans, rusty roofs, and an uncoated frame and stuff like that. Do I just do the body work and call it done? Or should I forget about the car and wait until I have a house of my own and have been settled down.

I dont know guys, sorry if this sounds like a whining thread, Im just lost, and feeling like a moron.

For those interestedHeres what my cutty used to look like

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 PM

Last journal entry: Change of Plans
Last photo:

Sounds like a tough situation but hang in there. I'd suggest you look for a storage only place, putting the work on your project on hold for now. When things stabilize and your funds are more reliable then work it. You may be able to rent a storage spot for under $100/mo but unlikely you can work on it for that. Something's bound to shake loose for you, just put the word out you are looking for a new job and cheap car storage. I wish you all the best.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 AM

Last photo:

Nice looking car. Forget about feeling like a moron. Ain't gonna do you any good to think like that... You had no way of looking into a crystal ball and foreseeing what was about to happen... Any friends that would let you store the '88 on their property with a decent looking car cover over it for a few months until the "dust kinda settles" and offer some work in return for storing the beast... Whenever things go a mite bad, think of others with BIGGG time problems down south in Galveston / New Orleans with nothing left at all . Good luck!! T.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Welcome to the beginning of adulthood...This is the first step that many of us take, putting aside our toys in order to make room for the new responsibilities we take on...

Moving out with the GF, making sure you can pay the rent, lot's of things will become new priorities. Next thing you know you'll have some kids, then it'll really be hard to finish your car.

You can find someplace to store it, spray the bare metal with drain oil or something to keep rust away, but be prepared to drag it to various places as your welcome wears out, or pay storage fees for a while.

I've been dragging my 69 mustang around with me since 1988, that's the last time it ran. My wife's 70 mustang is in storage, it's progressed very little since '04, when I took it apart. I never seem to find the time or money for them now...

Set your priorities, car vs family/relationships, then follow through with them.

Later

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

NOT I miss the cars I started & was not able to finish.

55 Caddy
65 BURB
70 Chevy BURB
70 GMC BURB
76 Scout
58 Chevy P/U
59 Chevy P/U
2 57 Bel Air Chevy sport sedan's
57 Bel Air sedan
65 Catalina
48 Dodge E iac
71 LeMans {still holding}
79 F~250 {still holding}

If I were you I would Hold onto the job @ the body shop until I could finish that car but as you have figured out time is @ a premium.
& so is a shop to work in!

If your able to do it & do it now, go for it ,if not it might be a long time before you can get back to it. every time you have to move it things will get lost.

Anywhere it sits & its not secured things will get stolen.

If you can afford a storage unit 9 out of 10 will not let you store unless it is void of any & all liquids gas oil battery... {tank out}
& most places do not let you work on them there either.

This is also the type of thing that will strain a friendship .

I think you have 3 choices;
put it together.
store it.
sell it.

IMHO

It's a tough choice no doubt.
I hope it works out the way you want it to.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Well guys, thanks. My girlfriend won't let me sell it (yeah, she's a keeper ). Looks like Im down to 1. Do the body, reassamble and drive it until I can feasibly restore it or 2. Store it as is and wait.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.