Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   What do you call "Pancaking" the hood? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-do-you-call-pancaking-hood-228502.html)

MARTINSR 01-17-2013 11:52 AM

What do you call "Pancaking" the hood?

There is a thread on here that was res-erected about "Pancaking" a hood on a 55ish Chevy pickup. I have always looked at "Pancaking" the hood as basically welding the hood in then cutting new smaller hole with rounded corners ala "La Jolla"

http://www.kustomrama.com/images/2/2...olla-satin.jpg

But these guys were talking about "Pancaking" that hood by sectioning it, I have always referred to that as simply "sectioning" the hood.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/...f1b94e60a8.jpg

Brian

crownver 01-17-2013 01:22 PM

Far from an expert Brian, but I always thought pancaking was sectioning. It's something I'm going to want to do when I start on my '50 F47.

NEW INTERIORS 01-17-2013 01:39 PM

Sectioning a hood is called pancaking...;)

496CHEVY3100 01-17-2013 01:43 PM

Sam Foose built a 56 Ford for his son Chip ,he pancaked the hood ,what he did was cut and remove a pie shaped strip out of the hood droped the nose lower then rewelding giving lower appearance ,He called it pancacking ,probably several ways ,depends who you talk to

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 01-17-2013 02:10 PM

Original pancaking was done on hoods that had a seam down the center that was covered with a piece of trim or chrome strip.''

The hood was welded together and filled/contoured as one piece with no center strip or trim/ornament.

NEW INTERIORS 01-17-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com (Post 1635972)
Original pancaking was done on hoods that had a seam down the center that was covered with a piece of trim or chrome strip.''

The hood was welded together and filled/contoured as one piece with no center strip or trim/ornament.

I never heard removing the chrome off a hood and welding the seam called pancaking..:drunk:

MARTINSR 01-17-2013 02:33 PM

I just wonder if it's a regional thing, often the same thing is called different names depending on where in the country you are. Maybe it's like that with the Pancaking? I remember something very well known like that, channeling or frenching or something that had a completely different name on the east coast from the west coast. Sectioning it makes sense, but I never called it that and I have been around customs and the custom scene all my life, that's why I ask, was I simply calling it the wrong thing all these years? Or is it simply the same thing, sectioning the hood and pancaking can be interchanged without an issue. But of course calling the La Jolla hood "Pancaking" when it isn't would be wrong. But maybe I have called pancaking sectioning and it worked, because it IS sectioning and no one made the distinction correcting me with "pancaking"? Hmmmmmmm

Brian

496CHEVY3100 01-17-2013 03:11 PM

As Martin said ,probably reiognal terms ,here we call removing chrome and filling seam shaving hood ? cuting pie shape on each side to drop height of nose was called nosing ,decking,or pancaking depending who you were talkink to ,

MARTINSR 01-17-2013 03:30 PM

Then what exactly is what they did on the La Jolla? It is a LOT different than sectioning the hood, was there a name for it? Someone may call it "rounding the corners" which was a common term (still is of course) but is the La Jolla just an extreme version of "rounding" the corners?

Brian

496CHEVY3100 01-17-2013 03:42 PM

I dont know what they called it i call it a mistake , may be reigon .age group,or who knows ,im sure they liked it and thats what matters in the end.I may go to Pugsy 123 site see what he calls his ,it is similar i think.

da34guy 01-17-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new interiors (Post 1635974)
i never heard removing the chrome off a hood and welding the seam called pancaking..:drunk:

x2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

da34guy 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Her's 1 I did a few yeats ago.
If ya have ever had a 46- 48 Ford hood apart you knoe they are 3 pieces.Rt side, left side and the center trim (which tapers front to rear)
First thing done was build a can under the hood and weld under the center, to keep everything symetrical.
Then flip it over and cut the center out.
Fab a filler piece to fill that area and weld in.
Next was to pancake, section what ever the sides.
Went from zero on the rear to 3 1/2 inches in the center front.
Cut that out and shoved the nose down and welded up the sides.
Ya still with me?
Next I extended the front down 6 1/2 inched to faded into the 46 olds grille.
Not for the faint of heart, had over 80 hours in that puppy.
On a side note, Guy comes in the shop the day I finished it and when he saw it he wanted me to do his.
All I said was
"Sure I'll do it, 50 bucks an hour @ 80 per, you do the math! "
He never did have me do it

Joe G 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

As far as I know, 'pancaking' is making a panel flatter. If you take some of the crown out of a roof or hood, you have 'pancaked' it.

Pancaked roof:
http://image.classictrucks.com/f/fea..._f100+side.jpg

496CHEVY3100 01-17-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da34guy (Post 1636001)
Her's 1 I did a few yeats ago.
If ya have ever had a 46- 48 Ford hood apart you knoe they are 3 pieces.Rt side, left side and the center trim (which tapers front to rear)
First thing done was build a can under the hood and weld under the center, to keep everything symetrical.
Then flip it over and cut the center out.
Fab a filler piece to fill that area and weld in.
Next was to pancake, section what ever the sides.
Went from zero on the rear to 3 1/2 inches in the center front.
Cut that out and shoved the nose down and welded up the sides.
Ya still with me?
Next I extended the front down 6 1/2 inched to faded into the 46 olds grille.
Not for the faint of heart, had over 80 hours in that puppy.
On a side note, Guy comes in the shop the day I finished it and when he saw it he wanted me to do his.
All I said was
"Sure I'll do it, 50 bucks an hour @ 80 per, you do the math! "
He never did have me do it

Love that car ,one of the best use of colors interior and exterior i have seen in a while ,I had a 1959mplymouth Fury painted this color ,or very close in mareitta ga in 1967 got car finished on Thursday,my school teacher hit me head on and totaled the car on sunday ,after i left the drag strip on my way home.tropht straped to rear veiw mirror ,the were on top of dash neon headlight are cool

NEW INTERIORS 01-17-2013 05:22 PM

Last time I checked I think Foose is on the west coast... He used that word on the west coast,, I have seen it used on the south coast,, And also on the east coast... Not sure what shop's your hanging out in... But it has been used ever since I could remember..

Taken the chrome of a car and welding the seams up was called shaving the hood,, Some even called it dechroming a car..

Section is when you take a section out the car in make it shorter..

Just like some say channeling a car body,, It's the same as a body drop,,

Pancaking is when you flatten something out...

I really don't think it's a regional thing...:D It's been said on to many coast for a long time..:D