What do you do if you get mud in your engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2002, 11:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post What do you do if you get mud in your engine?

I have a 350 in a full size Jimmy and I went through some mud pits. Somehow mud got inside my engine. I have since pulled my engine because my oil pressure was very low and my gear drive was very loud. I have since dicovered that silt is everywhere. What all is required to fix the problem? Is a complete rebuild neccessay on a relatively new engine?

Any info would be appreciated......I havn't found any reliable info on that sort of problem yet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2002, 12:57 AM

well, I don't think any auto engineers ever planned on having mud in the engine, so there are no simple provisions for that. I would suggest that you start by checking your rod and main bearings. If they show any sign at all of being scratched or mamed in any way, I suggest you do a basic rebuild, with new bearings and the like, or you are going to destroy your relatively new engine.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:47 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Don't they make snorkel kits for that type of operation?

At the least you are going to have to disassemble, clean and inspect.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:31 PM

I pulled my main bearings today and they still looked perfect with no grit in the oil at all. What do you think if I just replace my oil pump and clean everything with brake clean and call it good. I don't really have the space to do a complete rebuild.

I think my oil pump clogged up and prevented oil from getting to my gear drive. I did find dirt on top of rocker arms. I'm not sure what to do but I'm interested to hear what you think. I might just clean and replace the oil pump and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Check out everything from top to bottom. Doesn't sound like dirt got into to many places. I go mud boggin a lot in the summers and I have yet to see mud IN the engine. You turn it over or something? Clean the hell out or the engine then clean it some more. Than repeat and consider it done. As on as the bearing s look good and the walls look good.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:10 PM

I would say take it to a pro. If your gear drive lost all lube then the mains had to of. I would at least get it tanked while you have it apart.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:13 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i agree, esp. since it's out of the vehicle now. better safe than...not
Old 11-25-2002, 06:45 PM

anudder one bites the dust... that motor is gonzo....
Old 11-25-2002, 07:13 PM

My main bearings looked perfect, the oil was grit free, slick, and no scaring on any surfacing. It's almost like the mud got dumped in from the top and didn't have a chance to go anywhere because I didn't run my engine after I noticed the problem. I bought another high volume oil pump and am currently cleaning the engine. The timing gears look good too......no wear.

What do you think?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:22 PM

When you asked us what we thought before we told you while it's out to get it hot tanked. What is it with this board????? I see guys that ask questions and then get answers and then just keep going about how they think they should not paying abit of attention to those who have offered help. Let me ask you this from the oil pick up then the oil goes through the pump and then where does it go?? All I can say is GOod Luck.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:20 PM

then let me say this smart a!s.....don't write if you don't have any f!@king answers to a problem that isn't very common.

-no offense to anybody with answers to a situation I've never dealt with.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

pull the heads and plant an herb garden in the cylinders.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:37 AM

I don't see where anyone has been a smart a!? to you, but then again what do I know. I used to get my truck really dirty, so I know what you're going through. First off, it stands to reason that you did NOT swallow (as in through the carb) water or mud, because your cylinders are whole. This is good. The bad part is, if you had low oil pressure, than your mains and rod bearings were oil STARVED at least for some time, because oil goes from the pump through them to everywhere else. This doesn't mean that it would show, but they probably are damaged. I know when one of our racing engines experiences "low oil pressure" it gets pulled and rebuilt, and most of the time the bearings are shot, sometimes they look ok, but check them with a mike (or Micrometer, way more accurate than plastic crap). Bottom line is no oil pressure = stressed parts that WILL fail. If you have the engine out, tank it to get any leftover crap out, inspect everything, replace the bearings, and reassemble it. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there are no cheap or easy solutions, other than to stay out of the mud or weatherproof your engine. These guys are RIGHT ON with their advice, use it or not. I dunno about the herb garden, I like my parsley and basil without IRON. :-)

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Airport Towing ]</p>
Old 11-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Okay 85JIMMY, I agree with you on the hot tanking. There is just no use on what you said is a relatively new motor. No one has mentioned that the true way to test all your bearings and see if there is any damage is to plastigauge them. If you have not done it before, your local parts shop should carry the stuff. It is a thin plastic strip that you put between the crank and bearing surface and then torque it down. Then, you remove it and check the thickness. It will come with a gauge. If they all check out your motor is fine.

As for everyone else saying that if the motor had low oil pressure it must be hurt, that is just not true. If the engine did nt see much rpm and was not run long, it will not hurt anything for oil pressure to be low. An engine can survive on 1 lb per 100 RPM. So 3000 RPM cruising home needs only 30 psi and for short periods probably less will not hurt.

If there is no scoring on the cylinders and the bearings check out. I would replace the timing set and oil pump, get a set of gaskets and button it up. Should be fine.

Chris
Old 11-26-2002, 11:32 PM

Thanks Chris, I checked my bearings out,cylinder walls, and pistons and everything is fine. Tonight I'm just cleaning some more and taking care of my gasket surfaces, and a little repainting. Tomorrow I'm going to put everything back together and prime the engine...maybe drop it in....depending on the light outside, more than likely thursday though.

Thanks, OC

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.