What do you guys think. . . '56 Fairlane - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What do you guys think. . . '56 Fairlane

Hey, I have a friend who's a semi-pro roadrace (vintage SCCA) mechanic who desperately wants to sell me a car for $150. get a load of this.
1974 Merc Zephyr (basically a fox Mustang with a larger body and ugly upholstery) He'd just finished the hotrodding of it when a civic smashed in the driver's door about 8"s. He's offered to sell it to me at the insurance's buyback price of $150.
Parts list:

Parts with less than 1000 miles
-modest stock rebuilt 4v 302
-rebuilt AOD w/larger towing-style friction surfaces, shift kit
-rebuilt 8.8" rear, 3.73gears, narrowed 3", ford racing 5-lug large drum brakes
-Ford racing 5-lug front disc brake conversion
-Cragar 5-spoke crome wheels, 8.5" and 7.5" width, new tires
-Mustang GT sway bars

Parts with less than a week's driving time.
-BBK shorty headers, full mandrel-bent exhaust
-BBK race-spec coil springs

Now, I can't take it right now because I have to get rid of these stinkin vans, or I'l have to pay huge fines and lawyer bills. Argh!!! Tell me I'm crazy for not taking it and paying to store it until I can strip it.

Now, my real question is the feasablilty of installing that 8.8" in our 56 fairlane project. I don't want to irreparably chop up this car, especially b/c it's my first hot rod project. But how would I deal with the issue of springs?
Is the width about right? I can't seem to find any spec's on the original width of mustang 8.8"s. I only know that this one is narrowed 3"
Now, what about the front end? Five lug discs would be awesome, but the styles of suspensions seem to be too different to just bolt on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

This is a joke, right???????????????????????

Hock the kids, sell the TV,

buy it quick... how could you go wrong. ........ for $ 150........

56 Ford rears should be 56 to 57 1/2 wide wheel flange to wheel flange/ where the wheels bolt on. Measure the one in the wrecked car. It should be OK if its in the Zephyr. Leaf spring pads are NO problem to put onto any axle.

Front disk brakes, spindles and all, from the 77-79 mid size T-bird/Cougar bolt right on to your 56 ball joints.

if it wasn't 700 miles I'd come get it myself.
Junk the dam vans... quick......
write me, I'll help ya do the 56.

Last edited by xntrik; 09-30-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:05 PM

No Joke,

Thanks xntrik! I appreciate the advice. Where did you get that info on 56's? I would like to know more about bolt-up style Frankenstein work, as I don't want to permanently alter the car. And does that mean that the front end stuff off the Merc will fit too? that would be just ridiculously lucky! Do you maybe know about tire sizes? I need to get some cheap tires that will hold air so I can roll the car around, later I get some serious meats. I have some 15x7.5 smooth alum. rims that I think will look good buffed up, with either stock Ford or Moon hubcaps.

The guy is my TIG welding class Teacher's Assistant. My friend and I are the the only other people that he has met that got a 97% grade on a weld. This teacher holds that no weld is perfect, and thus, if it is good enough to do the job, you get a 90, and higher up to 97, depending on how good it is. So, I guess he thinks of me as a protege, an heir if you will. I just wish that some nosy woman hadn't turned us in to the county on that silly zoning reg. I can't telll you the hardship it's caused, having to do this stuff in a rush, and not being able to do it right.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:10 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Oh man you better get on that deal!

You can make an easy $1500 selling some of the good parts.

Or fix it yourself, it just needs a door right?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabstorey
Thanks xntrik! I appreciate the advice. Where did you get that info on 56's? I would like to know more about bolt-up style Frankenstein work, as I don't want to permanently alter the car. And does that mean that the front end stuff off the Merc will fit too? that would be just ridiculously lucky! Do you maybe know about tire sizes? I need to get some cheap tires that will hold air so I can roll the car around, later I get some serious meats. I have some 15x7.5 smooth alum. rims that I think will look good buffed up, with either stock Ford or Moon hubcaps.

The guy is my TIG welding class Teacher's Assistant. My friend and I are the the only other people that he has met that got a 97% grade on a weld. This teacher holds that no weld is perfect, and thus, if it is good enough to do the job, you get a 90, and higher up to 97, depending on how good it is. So, I guess he thinks of me as a protege, an heir if you will. I just wish that some nosy woman hadn't turned us in to the county on that silly zoning reg. I can't telll you the hardship it's caused, having to do this stuff in a rush, and not being able to do it right.
Where, hhmmmm? How about,,, I am 3 times as old as you, and I have been around the hot rodder's block a few more times?....... LOL That 56 was the old cars we had in high school.!!!!!!!

Rebuild kits for your front suspension are readily available. Yes on the Cougar, and I think also the LTD II, and the Torino's. Memory tells me the T-Bird Cougar had bigger brakes though... The front suspension is pretty decent. It will never be a Corvette, but it will be good. The front A arms don't have the camber gain geometry that some people prefer, but they are very good for lowering the car and/or using air bags because of the minimal suspension alignment change with ride height.

Holler anytime.

cruise the site www.readershotrods.com and click drag cars/ click Ray at George's
Old 08-19-2006, 08:28 PM

56 Wagon

I know this is an old post, but I could sure use your advise too xntrik. I just purchased a 56 wagon and I haven't a clue what fits that old long roof.

Here's my short list of questions:

What are my choices for innexpensive off the shelf front disks?

Will the '66 fastback 8" rearend that I was given work?

What about the wiring... where can I get the best new harness or should I just make up my own duplicating the old one?

Any idea what late model seats with leather as a factory option will fit this old beauty?

I plan to tub it if I can so I can get some 17 or 18" wide wheels and tires in the rear, and go with 16 or 17" American Racing Torque Flight 505s in the front too. Vintage Air, 302 with the new 351/302 alum heads, roller cam and rockers, etc.

Any other ideas on what will work best with this '72 block that was given me?

C4 or C6... I am getting different stories on which one will fit the 72 block?

TIA,

Tom

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.