Hot Rod Forum banner

What Do You Guys Think Of This?

781 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bigun 
#1 ·
I had a run in with a wholesale supplier today. I won't say who it is, but here is the story.

Last month, I purchased over $16,000.00 worth of parts. I use operating capital to pruchase my stuff, so I normally pay for it on a credit card. Some of my other parts I purchased via COD.

When I received a particular order about 4 weeks ago, It had a set of heads in it that were not the ones I ordered. I called my salesman and told him that I received the wrong heads. He said he would send out a UPS call tag and pick them up.

I had to substitute a different pair of heads for this particular customer, so my salesman told me I would just receive an account credit. I thought this was fine, and I would just have them deduct the $500.00 off of my next order.

Well, the UPS call tag never showed up, so I had to ship them the heads on my own dime. They received the heads, and my salesman acknowledged that I had a credit on my account.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ordered parts three more times since then, and I never received my credit that I had coming. Since things are always tight for me during the first 10 days of every month, I called my supplier, and asked if he would just put the credit back on my credit card and call it good. Since they weren't applying it to my orders, I thought that they should give me my money back.

Anyway, this company contacts me and says that they can't put it on my card, it's "company policy".

I was good and pissed by now, particularly since i've been spending fifteen thousand dollars a month with these jerks, and they won't cut loose of MY $500.00.

I chewed on the salesman's butt for a good long time, and I am unsure if I want to do business with them any longer. I thought that it was trivial of them to hang on to my money like that, particularly since I spend so much with them.

What would you guys do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Id go straight over his head to the main dude, tell emto look at the money you spend and ask if them screwin ya for the 500 is worth loosing a good customer. HG

#3 ·
I have had the same type problems with my supply house, I spend a lot of money a month with them. I had a good rep from there company (I miss him, he just moved to Texas) and now I have to deal with the owner as my salesman.

I have already had problems with "the owner" on other occasions. I pay my bill every Friday, well we all know what Fridays are like, and sometimes I just cant get a check out to them that day, so it may be the next Monday or Tuesday. Keep in mind that I have used this same company for the last 8 years and never missed a payment or never bounced a check ever. But it was a time the rep that I get along well with was on vacation and the owner called for a payment on a Monday morning at about 9:15am and the first thing he said was were the F is my payment, I just lost it and went off on him.

Well I didn't use that company for the next month or so until my rep called and made things better. At this time I said not to have the owner call on me or stop and see me ever again.

I had a few warranty labor claims for defective parts that totaled over $1300.00. I waited for 11 months for this money , I was calling at least twice a week to ask about it, just got lame excuses for why I had not received it yet,the last excuse set me off. "we can only pay out so much per quarter" keep in mind it has been over 11 months.
So from that day forward I stopped paying them for parts. Well they put me on COD.

The owner called me about 2 weeks ago and asked when the F he was getting his money, I owe him approx $400.00 at his point after my warranty claims were paid. I was paid $562.39 out of the $1300.00 that I should have had coming to me.
So I told him that I could only pay out so much per quarter and he will have to wait. He was pissed. I was happy, and now using another supplier.

As far as your problem. Can you use someone else or are they the only ones in town?

Steve

#4 ·
I can use somebody else, but I am not quite ready to burn the bridge with them.

I finally convinced them to cut me a check and overnight it to me. I can understand to a point that there are policies in place to protect large companies from fraud.

However, when I am paying making purchases like I have been and I have been more than cordial with the company. They want my money, I need their parts, but when the tables turn, and they are holding my money, I take offense to that.

I prepay on this stuff because I get a stellar price by pre paying it in bulk quantities. They want me to pre-pay on my stuff, but then want to place my credit in some "imaginary" account that doesn't exist. I do not have, and have never wanted, nor needed a charge account with their company. I use my own operating capital to make purchases. Money talks, B.S. walks in my book.

My theory on this is if I am putting up the green stuff up front, then they should do the same for me if they owe me. Don't tie up my dough in some red tape, blah blah blah crap.

Oh, and Steve, if somebody said "where in the "F" is my money to me, not only would I never buy from them again, I would show up on their door step with the money and personally ram it down that guys throat so he could choke on it, after he died, I would suggest that they use it in place of the cotton.

I would never take a verbal insult from anybody like that. As Mr. T would say, "pain"!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
I had a similar thing happen to me just this week. On a much smaller scale. I bought a performance torque converter from a local speed warehouse. Well the converter was bad. I called the owner of the converter Co. He said they would stand good for it. So I had to lay out another $ 200.00 on top of the last $200.00. I needed the new one to put in as I took out the bad one, all in one shot. Money is tight for me this month. So I was counting on the refund. I really didn't have the extra for the other converter but I was stuck I had to fix the car. And the salesman said they would refund the price.
I go out to the warehouse (15 miles away) Monday on my lunch hour. I was broke as a Joe no $$ I really needed my 200.00. When I got there the counter sales was gone to lunch had just left and wouldn't be back for an hour. Huge warehouse no one can help me and they didn't care.
So I left cussing under my breath the whole way out. I go back the next day even broker cars is on fumes. Counter sales guy was there. First thing he says " cant help ya on returns you need to talk to the rep that sold it to you on the phone the first time. I say "ok where is he?" He says "gone to lunch" Well I was smokin by then I wanted to pull that dude over the counter and shove that converter up his *****. But I needed the $ so I waited over 30 min for him to return. I told him I talked to the owner of the converter co. and that they would stand good for it. He said "ok we will give you a credit for it to buy something else" I said "NO I want my 200.00 Im already in over 400.00 in converters I need my money". He said I was " company policy" !!! I paid cash for both converters and they couldn't at least return my money. Words cant describe how mad I was. Calling it "company policy" is a BS way to take your money and It should be Illegal.

#6 ·
67 Deuce 4 Me said:
I had a similar thing happen to me just this week. On a much smaller scale. I bought a performance torque converter from a local speed warehouse. Well the converter was bad. I called the owner of the converter Co. He said they would stand good for it. So I had to lay out another $ 200.00 on top of the last $200.00. I needed the new one to put in as I took out the bad one, all in one shot. Money is tight for me this month. So I was counting on the refund. I really didn't have the extra for the other converter but I was stuck I had to fix the car. And the salesman said they would refund the price.
I go out to the warehouse (15 miles away) Monday on my lunch hour. I was broke as a Joe no $$ I really needed my 200.00. When I got there the counter sales was gone to lunch had just left and wouldn't be back for an hour. Huge warehouse no one can help me and they didn't care.
So I left cussing under my breath the whole way out. I go back the next day even broker cars is on fumes. Counter sales guy was there. First thing he says " cant help ya on returns you need to talk to the rep that sold it to you on the phone the first time. I say "ok where is he?" He says "gone to lunch" Well I was smokin by then I wanted to pull that dude over the counter and shove that converter up his *****. But I needed the $ so I waited over 30 min for him to return. I told him I talked to the owner of the converter co. and that they would stand good for it. He said "ok we will give you a credit for it to buy something else" I said "NO I want my 200.00 Im already in over 400.00 in converters I need my money". He said I was " company policy" !!! I paid cash for both converters and they couldn't at least return my money. Words cant describe how mad I was. Calling it "company policy" is a BS way to take your money and It should be Illegal.

That's not the way I do business. I have sold things to people, and I've had them call me up and tell me they didn't like it, or it wasn't what they really wanted. I always give them their money back. It's rare for it to happen, and i don't EVER want to do anyone an injustice.

I refunded a guy some money on a set of heads that I knew he had no business buying in the first place. The guy had just lost his job, and still purchased a set of heads from me. He had a family, I knew he needed his money, so when he called me and hinted around about returning the heads, I gave him his money ASAP. I sleep good at night.

I sold the heads to someone else, and everything is good.

#7 ·
Ask them to cut you a check. Some companies for some unknown reason won't credit your credit card but will send you a check.

You never know it might work.

#10 ·
I had a supplier I had used for years great people I could call the counter tell them I was on my way into town give them my order walk in pay for it and load it on the truck and be headed to the job site. The last time I was there I wrote a check like I always did before and was told that they would have to get it approved, I asked the counter guy "do what?" He said it was new policy that all checks had to be approved before they could take them. I have been coming here for 6 years and now you say you have to have my check approved, I'll tell you what I'll save you the trouble give me back my check and I'll go where they know who I am and you can keep your material. I haven't been back since it is a kind of a pain as they are the only electrical supply house that open 5:30 in the morning and say open till 6PM The rest of them open a 6AM and close at 5:30PM plus they are the only ones open on Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.