"What do you mean, KIT CAR!" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

"What do you mean, KIT CAR!"

Yup, any of us building or owning a fiberglass repop has heard that word along with 1-800-hot-rod, "catalog car", Visa Rod, when used to descibe our babies. I never really cared about it, but it does kinda sting a little. But it is what it is and to each his own. Is it a kit because all the pats came from one manufacturer or is it a kit because all the parts are new and not original? Again, doesn't seem to matter to me.

A guy I communicate with by phone told me that in his opinion, if the guys in the "old days" had had the modern tech that we have, they probably wouldn't have searched all the junkyards looking for stuff. They had to search the boneyards because that's all there was available.

Now, there is a certain joy in finding something at a meet or whatever, especially when you were really needing it. That will always be cool, but is it wrong to buy a repop part from a company off the internet when you can't find it local? I don't think so. I think it's a matter of convenience.

So, today, I'm going t install some coilovers on my hot rod/kit car. It's going to be a hot rod when I'm finally done with her. I guess it depends on what side of the fence you're on.

I'm sure this has come up here before, but I love coffee rants in the morning!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My experience has been that those who disparage "kit cars" are usually folks who have never built ANY car of ANY kind. They've heard or read somewhere that kit cars are an easy way out and the builders somehow deserve a bit of scorn for not being true rodders.

Whooey. Any rodder who builds a car, no matter where they get the pieces and parts, is undertaking a massive challenge. And I salute every one of them no matter if they put together their stuff from a bone yard or from a Speedway catalog.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,144 Posts
Well, first off, ones "perception" of your car is only limited to ones "exposure" to the building of a car like it. If the guy hasn't a clue about what goes into building a car, how can he make an informed thought or comment?

In other words, take it for what it is worth. Most of us are self proclaimed "experts" and "know it all's" about cars. Just walk around a big show and you will hear guys telling their wives, kids, dads, non car nuts they drug along, all about the cars and their finer or rougher points. All about the flathead in that one and why that motor is different to how this guy has the wrong tail lights on his 67 Camaro because the car isn't an RS but an SS. He will explain to the unknowing how this candy paint is done, how the top is chopped, you will see him motioning with his hands to the "student" showing him cutting points on the roof posts. You know what I am talking about, you very likely saw ME doing it at a show with MY wife or son or daughter, or friend. We are no different than the sports fan at the ball park who thinks they know more about middle relievers and the scouting report of the next batter than the manager of the team does!

When I first drove my 1948 Chevy pickup to rod runs back in the late seventies I had people PISSSSED at the gate for letting me in! It was a pre-49 event and I had people one after another telling me how my truck was a 53 or 51 or what ever, they wre PISSSSEEED that I was there. Their ignorance in that this truck design (called an Advanced Design by Chev released right after WWII) came out in 1947.

My Brother has a 1922 Buick Roadster, there is next to NOTHING on that car "out of a box" it is completely hand made by he and I. I don't think I need to tell you, there is nothing "repro" available for this car. It was built totally with good old hot rod in the garage ingenuity. Yet I have heard people calling it a "Kit car" and "Fiberglass". I have seen people knock on the body with their knuckle to see if it is fiberglass! I saw George Barris walk past it as his buddy Stan Betz points to it for George to check it out only to hear Barris say "Aw, another T with it's roof cut off"! No kidding, it is a REAL Buick model 22 three seat roadster and this guy is calling it a Ford model T with the roof cut off! LOLOLOL

You will see people like me here on the forums critiquing cars like yours and mine and every other cars styles and quality of their build.

None of them (us) own your car. None of use know the time or money you have or the skills or for that matter, we don't know your DESIRES or expectations. They are certainly different than ours, or every rod run would have rows of identical cars! We ***** about rat rods (though we secretly thank them for keeping the hobby interesting and alive with new blood) we ***** about Billit cars though if it wasn't for the big money pumping spectators into the shows the manufacturers wouldn't be making a lot of the things they do to make the hobby as strong as it is. We ***** about the events and how big they are and how the Greedy Guys can make all this money, yet we pay the money and enjoy the chance to walk among the rows of vendors looking at parts to buy for our car.

Don't sweat it guy, enjoy your car with a smile on your face. There is NO WAY you are going to make everyone happy. Make ourselves and our family happy, that is all that matters.

Brian
Old 06-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,144 Posts
This is one of those times where I have to ***** about something of my own, if you don't mind. Being this thread is all about "feelings".

I have seen the poor misinformed and misguided make comments about people posted thoughts like I just did. I have seen these poor confused souls make the comment like "Didn't Cboy just say that?" or "Then the guy posts what I just said and acts like it is his idea". No kidding, I have read people saying ignorant stuff like this.

To all you those who would think such a thing. First off, unless a poster says the EXACT words that another did, he is simply speaking his OWN mind. Secondly, did you ever think that one guy was writing his post WHILE the first guy was posting his? This is what happen here, I was writing my novel while Cboy wrote his concise, to the point comment. Did you ever think that the second or third poster wanted to elaborate on the idea?

You see Fred, people have ideas, conceptions about a lot of things that are WRONG or "none of their business". But we will go on flapping our jowls.

So for all those who find it necessary to knock what other people write on the forums, let me replace my previous post with "Yeah, what Cboy said".

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-16-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Last photo:

I hate the term . my glass car is no more of a "kit car" than any steel bodied resto hot rod with the same mail order parts installed. I agree with Brian, the people who use that term are totally clueless and have no concept of what it takes to build a car. Then there are those with steel bodied cars who disparage glass cars like theirs are original or something with all the mail order parts and a crate engine .

We are all rodders and need to get over the steel vs glass childish argument.

Vince
Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

And while all this was going on this morning I was out in a junkyard 50 miles from home climbing over rusted hulks and fallen trees, swatting mosquitoes by the swarm and reciting in my head over and over "leaves of 3, let it be" to find stainless rear window moldings for a 2nd generation Monte Carlo that everybody told me I'd never find. I not only found them but I found TWO sets!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Look guys, this hobby is a mixed bag, And there are no rules as to what makes a cool ride. But, like it or not, Ford did not make any fiberglass cars in 32', so what are we suposed to call them? Some call them kit cars. Kit car is just a short term for " yea, its not a real 32 ford, its a repo " That said, dont get your painties in a wad. You do also realize, it takes way more effort to restore old Iron, then it does to build new. I do not knock anyones car they build, old iron or a new build all take skill and have their own challanges. Guess we can just call them all Hot Rods.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I saw George Barris walk past it as his buddy Stan Betz points to it for George to check it out only to hear Barris say "Aw, another T with it's roof cut off"! No kidding, it is a REAL Buick model 22 three seat roadster and this guy is calling it a Ford model T with the roof cut off! LOLOLOL
Brian
Man, Barris lost my respect at a show a couple years ago, when he acted like he was doing me a favor by SELLING me his damn autograph! He wouldn't answer me when I spoke and even looked away when I asked a question. So, that doesn't surprise me.

What made me bring this up is that a guy who had seen a glass '32 called it a hot rod and then called mine a kit car. Like it had to do with what year or model it was. I know it takes a heck of a lot more effort to do a '32, but in the end it's a repop, just like 75% of all the cars at a meet. Maybe it's the size of a T Bucket or something or maybe this guy just doesn't get it. The thing is, there seems to be a lot of guys that don't get it. It stung for a bit, but it was easy to get over it. I actually chuckled when I thought about it.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
What made me bring this up is that a guy who had seen a glass '32 called it a hot rod and then called mine a kit car. Like it had to do with what year or model it was. I know it takes a heck of a lot more effort to do a '32, but in the end it's a repop, just like 75% of all the cars at a meet. Maybe it's the size of a T Bucket or something or maybe this guy just doesn't get it. The thing is, there seems to be a lot of guys that don't get it. It stung for a bit, but it was easy to get over it. I actually chuckled when I thought about it.
Fred,
Unfortunately, T-buckets get that rap. I got sick and tired of having mine labeled as such. I just was very nice and pointed out to them quite strongly that it was a component car. That the bits and pieces came from many sources and that a kit car was one that for the most part, everything was supplied by a single manufacturer, i.e. Cobras. Most folks just don't know any better.

Dave
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Kit~cars or model cars

Remember when we where little kids and we built model cars and we wished that they where real and now that we are big kids we build model cars that are real.......... So I guess some wishes do come true.

Last edited by 23 bucket-t; 06-17-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 bucket-t
Remember when we where little kids and we built model cars and we wished that they where real and now that we are big kids we build model cars that are real.......... I guess some wishes do come true
You hit the nail on the head, bro. Sometimes I wish mine had come pre-painted and snap to fit!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I don't have enough space for real versions of the models I built!!

I probably did one a month for a couple of years. They lasted long enough to show off to a couple of friend before my little brother "just had to play with them" and destroyed them.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
My experience has been that those who disparage "kit cars" are usually folks who have never built ANY car of ANY kind. They've heard or read somewhere that kit cars are an easy way out and the builders somehow deserve a bit of scorn for not being true rodders.

Whooey. Any rodder who builds a car, no matter where they get the pieces and parts, is undertaking a massive challenge. And I salute every one of them no matter if they put together their stuff from a bone yard or from a Speedway catalog.
I don't post or reply much here but I can't resist this one. I think cboy is right in what he said. I believe the ones who criticize the most and the loudest are the ones who have never built ANY car nor EVER will. I have been working my *** off on my car and of those who come by to see what I have done the biggest critics are the ones who think building a car is buying one and polishing it and a long cruise is from the hotel parking lot to the fairgrounds. The biggest supporters are those who have built cars, drive them, offer help, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and beer. Now, to the kit car issue. If a car was built in '32 it is a '32. If it wasn't its a replica. There are incredible examples of both out there.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I get it all the time. Most of the questions are about the motor since the engine change last year. Is it a kit car? Is that a 427? How fast does it go? Does it wheelie? What do you do if it rains?

One time a guy asked me if it was a kit car while I was pumping gas. I calmly responed "yea, slapped it together in a couple weekends" I realised that was pretty sarcastic so I said I was only joking and came clean. Got to remember the general public are pretty nieve when it comes to hot rods. Funny thing is, kids and mechanical misfits are always the ones giving me the thumbs up, but that's ok.

Came up with a new one for "how fast is it?"

It's so fast the top blew off!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead

Came up with a new one for "how fast is it?"

It's so fast the top blew off!
You driving it to Louisville this year?

Vince

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.