What do you think about Tech High Schools? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What do you think about Tech High Schools?

I've been taking AutoBody classes through a Community College. The teacher was telling some of the students during a break that the High School he teaches at is going to be shutting down his program in 4 years. I guess the expense to keep the AutoBody program just isn't worth it. (They will keep the Auto Repair program though.) The Diesel program will also be shuttered along with some other programs.

In there place there will be Air-Traffic Control, and Homeland Security! I guess for some crazy reason they assume more kids want to sign-up for those courses!

My teacher said that most of the people who run the county schools hate the words "Tech School!", which I don't understand. I would have loved to go to a Tech School! I would have loved to spend time in school learning about cars!

Well I've had some interesting conversations about this with people. Most think it's unfortunate that they are shutting down programs for ones that nobody will sign-up for! However they think that Tech Schools and Magnet Schools (for art or music) aren't giving kids what they need. They believe kids should have a well-rounded education before they pursue those fields of interest so early. I don't agree! Most kids don't care about what they are taught in High School! If you know there is a job you want to do... why not pursue it?

I was wondering What do you think about Tech High Schools? Would you have liked to have gone to one?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I graduated NCOC in the automotive technology course ( No autobody available ) in 2007.. it was worth it.. last year the school came very close to being shut down.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Hey Mr. Gold

Hey Bud, I think more high schools should offer technical training because it's becoming a lost art in the United States. People who enjoy what they do and make a living of it, is one of the things that founded our country. I will never forget the lessons that I have learned from both teachers in high school tech classes, vo-tech classes and also the guys that took my dumb *** under their wings and taught me from a practical stand point how to get the job done. If your school is not doing enough for you, please ask your parents to put you into something that is more. A good mind is not something you want to waste, we need more guys like you to keep our country what it is and what it was. I respect you Man. olnolan
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

High schools seem more interested in turning out drones who can score high on tests than people who can actually work.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I am for it. I believe teaching tech in high school such as mechanics auto body carpentry and so on would help kids stay in school and try. I went to a college prep high school and done enough to get a b or c. I really cared less and barely tried. I am in tech school for diesel mechanics and am trying my best and actually studying. I believe tech school in high school would be great so when they graduate they could get a good job instead of a job at mcdonalds
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Autobody was long gone by the time I got to the votec,It was kind of a joke all in all,alot of what we learned in many of the classes was self taught.
Shane
Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott
High schools seem more interested in turning out drones who can score high on tests than people who can actually work.

Seems the only goal is to teach the kids how to pass the SAT tests.
Does not matter in the least that they cannot add/subtract/multiply or speak english at even a 3rd grade level.

Just pass the state tests so the schools can get more money
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

we are gona need someone to fix our cars as long as we have em. i also agree that the schools are all goin for sat scores.alot of students are gettin bored and drop out because they find nothin at school to draw their intrest.they cant all be pencil pushers. someone is still gona have to work for a living.im not knockin education at all.but we need the tec classes so our kidos can learn a craft that they are happy with.as long as there is students who want the auto repair classes,we should have em for them.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

"knowledge is all good, whether you use it or not"
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:

School, any school, is what you make it. Those teachers that got your attention, that made something stick, should be higher paid than most CEO's, it's a gift, they passed a little part of themselves over to you. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan, at the end of the movie on the bridge, Tom Hanks is dieing and tells Ryan to "Earn It". The fact that you as a young adult are interested in actual learning, rather than skating or being handed everything for free is what life's about, learning is fun, that's what's going to set you apart from the herd. Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

tech school.

Most school board members look down on the trades. I've taught a few tech courses over the years. Look at the numbers, post high school students in tech programs have the highest completion rates in the local community colleges. I've taught apprentice classes . Look at the money earned vs the cost of schooling. High cost student loans Etc It takes about 20 years for the average college grad to catch up financially with someone that completes a tech -apprenticeship program.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I loved all shop classes in high school I took all of them,Metal ,wood electricity,printshop,I learned a lot and enjoyed every one.After that I took two years of electronics (half a day)at a program called B.O.C.E.S....through the high school.I quit school before I graduated and two years ago I got my GED at 46yrs old and took welding and pipefitting.This year I plan on taking physics and computor graphics.I been in the body and paint biz all my life and might even start instructing an autobody class they are planning to start up for the same tech school...All I can say is GO FOR IT !!! You cant lose,knowlage is power.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 10-14-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I agree with.

No matter,stay in school,Try and get a job sweeping at a body shop,You'd be surprised how much you learn sweepin a floor.If you watch,and ask at breaks you might find a dude who does it on the side.We called that moonlighting.To some of us the need to learn outweighed the need to be a Geek.Seems they are everywhere.But ask one about fixing his car and watch his face.Learn all you can and read all you can cause nobody can take away what you learn.You may not have to be a metal man but most people that think Barris was one never knew about his brother.One thing we do have in America is schools and I stay in one and always will.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
It takes about 20 years for the average college grad to catch up financially with someone that completes a tech -apprenticeship program.
I haven't researched this, but it's obviously True! My uncle works as a very successful architect for a well-known firm. He didn't pay off his student loans until he was 50!

Kids get hammered with the idea that going to college=better pay always! That isn't true though! I won't deny that having a College Degree is good. Most people that don't see the need for Tech schools... probably don't realize most of the kids in those programs will earn more than them!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd like to make two points ...First of all ,just do what you love doing ...getting paid is just a bonus....second... We are the one's who build the world ,everybody else just profits from us...If all your doing something for is money you'll never be a master of anything except greed....The money will come naturaly,

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.