What do you think of all the new car related reality shows? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What do you think of all the new car related reality shows?

Last night I unfortunately stumbled upon one of the newest car reality shows, but hopefully it won't be on long. It starred a guy named Mark Muller. You probably have never heard of him, but maybe you have heard of his brother, who is the radio shock jock named Mankow(Erich Muller). He also appears on the show, but the show apparently is more about his brother's alleged auto sales business. The show has the over-the-top title "God, Guns and Automobiles". In the opening credits for the show, Mark Muller claims to be a huge gear head and car guy, and if course he supposedly owns a car dealership, which I guess sometimes sells classic cars. He must be in his early 60's, and he's a self professed car guy, so you'd assume he'd know something about classic cars of the 60's.

Well, what happened in the first few seconds of time that I had ever watched this show really illustrated the current state of "reality" shows in America, and helped shine a light on the credibility of these shows. As in all reality shows, they take the shows stars aside and have them sort of narrate what is just about to happen in that portion of the show. So Mark is telling us how he is visiting this classic car dealership, looking at a 1964 Ford Galaxy. Then they show him and Mankow in this shop looking at this, umm, 1964 Galaxy. Problem is, it's NOT a '64...... They don't really show much film of the car, but it appears to be a 1966. It's got the over-under dual headlights instead of the side by side lights of the 64. This might not have been that big a mistake, if the 64-66 Galaxy's shared the same basic body style, but they don't. Ford made a major redesign of the Galaxy in 65. So the later model Galaxy is a VERY different car than the 62-64 design. It amazed me that nobody on that show, including the 60 something year old "car guy", nor the alleged classic car dealer, nor the producers of the show knew the difference and at least edited the narration sequence so that the year of the Galaxy was cut out.

In my opinion, there isn't much if any reality in reality tv anymore, and these classic car buy and sell reality shows seem staged to me. That makes them difficult to watch when you know you're being duped. It's occasionally cool to look at the car pictured in these shows for a few seconds if you happen to switch by that channel, but I turn on something else soon after. I did like Pinks and All Out though.

What's your opinion on these shows?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I like gas monkey garage and the old american hotrod. I could care less about what he knows about what year and this and that. The first guy that got canned at the place I work at got canned cause he knew everything but couldn't do anything. He was a poser. He could tell you about every little option about every car that came in but simply couldn't do the work. Not sure what that means other than don't judge a book by the cover. He might not know what year that is but maybe he's a heck of a wrench.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

For the most part, they suck...I mean really suck. I saw a part of the episode that your talking about...and yes, they got the year wrong and that to me, makes them loose all credibility. What pisses me off is that sometimes they get big names in NASCAR that appear on the show...makes me wonder about NASCAR...is that staged as well, is NASCAR another reality show...I don't think it is but, why in Gods name would they bother with poorly constructed shows like the one your talking about.

another one that drives me around the bend and hurts the hobby and the trade is Counting Cars. There is no way that Count's Kustoms could do cars for the price that they do them for. On a recent episode they did a 1962 Chevy Truck for about $15 K...and the truck was rough. Or my utmost most hated and dreded shows about cars, "Fast and Loud"...why people would faithfully watch that dribble, I don't know. However they do and a few people that watch these shows want their car done and when I give them a price, they sometimes tell me "how come so much, I saw a vehicle that was in worse shape than mine and it was done for half the price"...I have to explain to them that it's television and that there are 2 things on TV that aren't real, car-shows and car-toons.

I rarely watch any of these supposed car shows...I can't be bothered...there's usually to much drama or the're flogging some product and not much about vehicles gets discussed or done...if they do work on a vehicle, they often get it wrong. I saw 10 minutes of "Trucks" a week or two ago. They where applying PPG's DP Epoxy Primer. The guy said that induction time was the length of time between coats when induction time is the 1/2 hour you allow the product to sit before it's applied, the length of time between coats is flash time. So what happens to the DYI guy that watches this crap, believes it and mixes up his Epoxy Primer and immediately applies it on his vehicle...chances are it will still work but, the information was wrong.

I could go on and on about the errors I've seen these television celebrity's make...will it change anything, no...just turn it to a different channel....I'm fortunate...when a lot of these shows come on TV early on Saturday morning...so does "The Rifleman", "Gunsmoke" and sometimes I get to watch "The Flinstones", in every opening sequence, Fred goes driving through Bedrock in his car, powered by his own two feet...much more real than the infomercial car shows that are on.

It's all about ratings, and there must be enough people that watch...these shows keep cropping up...it's like they've run out of ideas, when they haven't scratched the surface.

Just my opinion.

Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 09-17-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: I spelled my name wrong...LOL
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

what can you do we are the 1%, 99% of america doesn't know the difference or even care they learn some useless lingo and go about there day.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I like gas monkey garage and the old american hotrod. I could care less about what he knows about what year and this and that. The first guy that got canned at the place I work at got canned cause he knew everything but couldn't do anything. He was a poser. He could tell you about every little option about every car that came in but simply couldn't do the work. Not sure what that means other than don't judge a book by the cover. He might not know what year that is but maybe he's a heck of a wrench.
You like "Gas Monkey Garage" Henry, I'm surprised, I would have thought that you'd like the shows that would inteligently discuss technical issues...but, there are very few of those. I could see the entertainment value being comic relief. To each their own..."Gas Monkey Garage", (which if I'm right, is the same cast as Fast and Loud), just doesn't do it for me.

Just my opinion

Ray
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

of course I'd like more technical aspect but not expecting that on TV land. I just like the guy's one liners and humor mainly. I agree with the hack work on these tv shows. It's got a lot of people fooled. When they do show technical know how you can see the hackness of it. On the Chip foose show where they steal someone's car they stripped a car and didn't even really strip it. I always take pride in going over it a gazillion times to get out all the surface rust. Getting it done in 1-2 weeks is just not gonna leave you a good restoration.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I see your point about wanting a good worker, but there's nothing that says you can't have a guy/gal who is a good worker and knows what they are talking about. Everywhere I've worked for the most part, you had to work hard, but if you didn't know your butt from a hole in the wall you were just as useless as a total slacker.

But worker quality wasn't really the point of the thread anyway. It's about the quality of so called "reality" tv shows these days. The quality has plummeted IMHO. Not that it was ever wonderful anyway. The point I was making is that the producers of any tv show should do their homework so they don't look stupid to the primarily car guys who watch it(I guess it's primarily car guys but I could be wrong). It's also odd that a car dealer/self proclaimed enthusiast can't tell the difference in a popular car from the most popular US auto era.

Fast and Loud and Gas Monkey are more accurate with their facts in the few minutes I've watched, but its still mostly staged. I'd bet 25-50% of the people on those shows are actors. I'd also guarantee the car deals and the sales are almost all staged as well.

But if people enjoy it, then I guess it's kinda like pro wrestling. If its entertaining, then maybe it doesn't have to be real. So if people enjoy it, then more power to them. I used to watch wrestling as a kid, so there you go...
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
of course I'd like more technical aspect but not expecting that on TV land. I just like the guy's one liners and humor mainly. I agree with the hack work on these tv shows. It's got a lot of people fooled. When they do show technical know how you can see the hackness of it. On the Chip foose show where they steal someone's car they stripped a car and didn't even really strip it. I always take pride in going over it a gazillion times to get out all the surface rust. Getting it done in 1-2 weeks is just not gonna leave you a good restoration.
LOL...so true Henry...and I don't care how many techs they have...1 or two weeks...you still need to give product time to do it's job...Another show that I had to look at it a little cross eyed on the only episode I watched was "Car Warriors"...they brought a car into the booth with raw, un-primed filler all over it. They sealed the car and it appeared to be beautiful (with less than 4 hours remaining)...and they started color sanding it...right out of the booth...I don't car if they have a bake cycle...the car needs to cool down before it's handled.

These are the things I'm talking about, people see this and believe it...and this brings out questions from customers wondering why their car can't be done that fast...it's just wrong.

Ray
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster76 View Post
what can you do we are the 1%, 99% of america doesn't know the difference or even care they learn some useless lingo and go about there day.
I guess that^ explains why the reality show craze keeps getting bigger with more and more staged drama. You have to ask yourself, do you know of any standard business that experiences the non-stop drama these reality businesses do?

It's like the pawn shop reality shows. No pawn shop has people walking in all day long with super rare, extremely interesting and historical artifacts. In real reality, they deal with people pawning mid priced and cheap jewelry, power tools and electronic equipment all day long. Not Babe Ruth's rookie card or real 1966 AC Cobras!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

How many people live in North America? How many are members of this forum?

Which population would you cater to as an advertiser?

For most people, if you ask them what kind of car they drive, you'd get an answer like "its a blue one"

To be accurate with the facts presumes that the audience can tell the difference. Of the 400 million or thereabouts English-speaking people in North America, how many even know that a starter motor is required to start a gasoline engine?

And you want the sponsors to pay for space to attract THAT small an audience?

And as for the rest - it is somehow 'beneath them" to know anything about something smelly, greasy & dirty like an engine or a car.

Ever wonder how to improve the quality of car-based shows? Improve the level of smarts of the audience!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Total agreement! They are not written (yes... written) for hard-core car enthusiasts. Almost nothing to be learned on these shows, plus they throw in all of the obviously phony drama.

An example would be the "urgent deadlines" that show up way too often. No self-respecting business would even take those jobs, since the quality of the work should take precedence over some (made up) priority.

Another one is the personality clashes, in which somebody would be fired in real life scenarios! ...yet they will be in the next episode!

Here is another example... several guys following a lead on a car by peeking over a guy's back wall! No professional would do that! They would respectfully approach the property owner, instead of lurking around risking arrest! BTW.... there just happened to be a radical television-worthy car in the back! What a coincidence!

I'm done ranting... and done watching! I usually switch to "Are you smarter than a fifth grader". Maybe I will actually learn something! LOL!

Last edited by TucsonJay; 09-18-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I agree with what your saying Dave, the audience needs to be edified and taught before they can appreciate or even care about the difference between a 64 and a 65 Ford. However, that being said, if education is one of the keys needed to improve the level of smarts of the audience, wouldn't a good place to start be to get the information correct in the first place...like the year of the car?

To most people, it doesn't matter and they don't care but if somebody is going to go to the trouble of putting together a show on television and I don't care if it's a cooking show, a how to build a house show or a car show...the information should be more accurate, no matter how many people are watching. They must have somewhat of a following...I've never seen so many car shows on television before with new ones cropping up all the time. It has been said that information is valuable, just a little or wrong information can be dangerous.

Just my opinion.

Ray
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Total agreement! Nothing to be learned on these shows, plus they throw in all of the obviously phony drama.

An example would be the "urgent deadlines" that show up way too often. No self-respecting business would even take those jobs, since the quality of the work should take precedence over some (made up) priority.

Another one is the personality clashes, in which somebody would be fired in real life scenarios! ...yet they will be in the next episode!

Here is another example... several guys following a lead on a car by peeking over a guy's back wall! No professional would do that! They would approach the property owner, instead of lurking around risking arrest! BTW.... there just happened to be a desirable car in the back that was for sale! What a coincidence!

I'm done ranting... and done watching! I usually switch to "Are you smarter than a fifth grader". Maybe I will actually learn something! LOL!
Well said Jay, the personality clashes are ridiculous, not only would or should these guys get fired, no business would survive with feuding going on like that.

The bogus deadlines...give me a break, something goes horribly wrong on every episode (car warriors is the worst) and yet with 1.3 seconds to spare a tech magically pulls a solution out of his behind and saves the day. Things happen in every trade where sometimes for unknown and uncontrolable circumstances a commitment can't be made...I pick up the phone and explain to the customer...that usually works better than trying to find that Technician with the magic behind...LOL

I have stopped guys driving down the road to talk about cars, sometimes it's met with enthusiasm other times I've been told that I'm number 1 with a middle finger gesture...LOL. However, I wouldn't be brave enough to climb a fence, trespass on another persons property while wearing a Wife beater T shirt and a bandanna in the hopes of finding an automotive gem, especially in larger centers like Los Vegas. I think my excitement might eventually be met with a bullet or at the very least a large dog with an attitude.

Good Rant Jay

Ray
Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone View Post
I see your point about wanting a good worker, but there's nothing that says you can't have a guy/gal who is a good worker and knows what they are talking about. Everywhere I've worked for the most part, you had to work hard, but if you didn't know your butt from a hole in the wall you were just as useless as a total slacker.

But worker quality wasn't really the point of the thread anyway. It's about the quality of so called "reality" tv shows these days. The quality has plummeted IMHO. Not that it was ever wonderful anyway. The point I was making is that the producers of any tv show should do their homework so they don't look stupid to the primarily car guys who watch it(I guess it's primarily car guys but I could be wrong). It's also odd that a car dealer/self proclaimed enthusiast can't tell the difference in a popular car from the most popular US auto era.

Fast and Loud and Gas Monkey are more accurate with their facts in the few minutes I've watched, but its still mostly staged. I'd bet 25-50% of the people on those shows are actors. I'd also guarantee the car deals and the sales are almost all staged as well.

But if people enjoy it, then I guess it's kinda like pro wrestling. If its entertaining, then maybe it doesn't have to be real. So if people enjoy it, then more power to them. I used to watch wrestling as a kid, so there you go...
And I don't like pro wrestling either.

I have enjoyed a few of them like Monster Garage, but now honestly I can't take a minute of them. That guy with the head band from Pawn stars, OMG he is the biggest ****** bag ever! It's all about ego, it is BORING and childish and I don't even turn them on EVER.

Brian
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone View Post
I guess that^ explains why the reality show craze keeps getting bigger with more and more staged drama. You have to ask yourself, do you know of any standard business that experiences the non-stop drama these reality businesses do?

It's like the pawn shop reality shows. No pawn shop has people walking in all day long with super rare, extremely interesting and historical artifacts. In real reality, they deal with people pawning mid priced and cheap jewelry, power tools and electronic equipment all day long. Not Babe Ruth's rookie card or real 1966 AC Cobras!
Of course I know what a pawn shop is like and that these people with the Babe Ruth Rookie card and Cobra are waiting in line the day they are shooting the show while the rest of the month there are people there with an ipod to sell so they can get a nickel bag of crank. I know, I get that, but damn I like that show just to see those odd things. I know they study up on the item before the start talking, I know the experts who come in have studied up on the item too, but damn I like seeing the different things I get a kick out of it.

It's like "American Pickers" I love that show.....for what it is, not what is created.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.