what do you think of this body combo? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

what do you think of this body combo?

I hava a '74 camaro front end and I'm having this crazy idea of implanting it on my '81 ElCamino to make a custom ElCamaro.

I have made very bad photo montages of both cars and seems to look quite nice, is someone out there good with the photoshop and would like to do a nice picture of this frankesteined thing?

has someone ever done this before?

I'm even thinking of making it a tilt fron end, it would be cool.

the shape of the fenders at about the door is quite close so there will be no mismatch noticed, also the width of both cars is very close, nothing that a hacksaw and a grinder can't solve.

please tell me your thougths.

Augusto

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
REAL HOTRODS have FLAMES!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sounds like it might be neat gook luck and show us some pictures along the way of your EL CAMARO
Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Post some pictures of your "montages"...

Jason
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 AM

I tried posting pics but I think I'm not allowed to do so, can someone tell me how to do?

Augusto.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

I don't know if you tried posting yet in the art section, but some that hang out over there are good with photoshop, and could possibly help you. No idea how that front end might work, but anything is possible.
To post a pic, the easiest ways are to either put the picture on a site somewhere or start a photo gallery here and then when you go to post, hit the image button (rectangular box with mountains and sun) above where you type in your reply, and in the pop up box you put the url of the picture location. You should end up having image tags surrounding the url of the picture in your post area, and when you submit your post an image should appear if everything was done correctly.
Or else probably even easier, look further down from where you type your reply in your post for the manage attachments button, then you can search and upload a pic from your computer.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

I think its a great idea. and more importantly it sounds like you think its a great idea as well, do it. Remember, it's just metal...your the boss. I would like to see the photo shop pictures too.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Should look good
Shane
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't do it.
Not to mention the amount of work, those Elkys are going up in value and you would be better off doing a more conventional style custom out of it. Putting a Camaro front end on it would make it kind of freakish looking IMHO.
There's gobs of nice aftermarket body mod kits for that car that would make the job so much easier.

Just my 2 cents.

roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
I hava a '74 camaro front end and I'm having this crazy idea of implanting it on my '81 ElCamino to make a custom ElCamaro.

I have made very bad photo montages of both cars and seems to look quite nice, is someone out there good with the photoshop and would like to do a nice picture of this frankesteined thing?

has someone ever done this before?

I'm even thinking of making it a tilt fron end, it would be cool.

the shape of the fenders at about the door is quite close so there will be no mismatch noticed, also the width of both cars is very close, nothing that a hacksaw and a grinder can't solve.

please tell me your thougths.

Augusto
Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
I wouldn't do it.
Not to mention the amount of work, those Elkys are going up in value and you would be better off doing a more conventional style custom out of it. Putting a Camaro front end on it would make it kind of freakish looking IMHO.
There's gobs of nice aftermarket body mod kits for that car that would make the job so much easier.

Just my 2 cents.

roger

I see so much of this "going up in value " it makes me sick. Hotrodding is about building something you want. I don't believe most people are in it as an investment.

If a person is, that's fine but it appears as though Augusto wants to build something that I believe would look quite amazing and I think he should be encouraged to do so.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
I see so much of this "going up in value " it makes me sick. Hotrodding is about building something you want. I don't believe most people are in it as an investment.

If a person is, that's fine but it appears as though Augusto wants to build something that I believe would look quite amazing and I think he should be encouraged to do so.

Just my .02 cents.
Gosh, not to consider it as an investment doesn't make sense unless he is going to keep it for life.
Don't most of us sell our projects when we want to move on to something else?
Sorry I made you sick. Our 2 cents are obviously in disagreement. I respect your opinion, but it doesn't make me sick.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Gosh, not to consider it as an investment doesn't make sense unless he is going to keep it for life.
Don't most of us sell our projects when we want to move on to something else?
Sorry I made you sick. Our 2 cents are obviously in disagreement. I respect your opinion, but it doesn't make me sick.
I meant that "makes me sick" in a general sense of the way hot rods and classic cars are going in general. With all these cars going up in value and people looking at that aspect it has done nothing but drive prices up thru the roof for anything that may be needed to restore these cars.We are getting gouged for anything we need now in this hobby and its a direct result of the "value".
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM

I don't consider a hot rod "real state" and I think the labor and parts put on it will make it more valuable, but I'm only concerned on the final results, I'm after a one-off good looking car, very custom and unique, I could restore both the elky and the camaro and end up with 2 cars but I want something different, I understand this is what hot rodding is about.

what is worth more, a bone stock '49 merc or a ground scraping low roof ultra modified? I don't know but would opt for the second choice.

and this is just about a matter of very personal taste, it would be impossible to build a car that everyone will like, no way, and this would make our hobbie soooo boring.

thank you all for your opinions, please post some more to help me decide what to do.

Augusto.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Simply on apperance, I think it would look terrible. But, then again, I love the 80's g-bodys.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I can see it both ways, if it looks like an odd Bob it is going to be worthless. We do sell our cars someday, don't we?

The thing is, does it REALLY "work" or would it all be about shock value? If seeing an El Camino with Camaro front end on it makes people say "Hey, look at the El Camino with a Camaro front end on it" then it is a mistake to do.

I personally am a big "A Body" fan, I love those cars (and trucks as the El Camino is). I have seen many Olds "El Cutlessino" or Buick "El Lark" conversions where the sheet metal from another GM car that shares the "platform" is swapped on as well as the doors (all A body doors will bolt on the El Camino, window frame not withstanding) and they make very cool cars. But they have to be done well, so the person looks at it and says "Hey, I didn't know they made an Olds El Camino!"

That is the difference, will the Camaro front look right on the El Camino? I don't know, but it would reqire a LOT of work to make it happen.

Brian
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Can somebody tell my why everybody picks on the name Bob? From advertisements, movies, TV shows and radio my name gets beat up from every angle....LOL

As far as the front end sway goes I think you're in for a lot more work than initially appears but if that's the look you're after I say do it. Take your time and make it look like OEM would be the results I'd be after.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.