What do you think of HID headlight kits? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
The authorities state it is illegal to change the color beyond 8000 kelvin as the headlights become a blue color. Only emergency vehicles can have blue lights.

The HID used is the stock GM 35wt not 55.

It is illegal to drive in the city with the brights on. Hid or not.

Most kids have the clear alteeza? headlight housings, this changes the bulb location and sometimes has a reflector system. They also look cheap.

The integra has the factory projector headlight housing without mirrors to reflect the light sideways or whatever.

It is the same brightness as my neighbors audi or benz on the other side.

If you get a bulb out , and you want to replace it with HID kit, it is legal. Just follow the limitations of the law. The cost is very similar to halogen now.

NOT MORAL, your kidding right?
kits are illegal period!!!!!!!!!!! your car is not set up for them.. you will blind oncoming traffic..
enjoy your tickets and fines and tow/storage bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
kits are illegal period!!!!!!!!!!! your car is not set up for them.. you will blind oncoming traffic..
enjoy your tickets and fines and tow/storage bill
Not according to current federal law.

If you can provide a link , I would like to show it to a police officer .

They are not any brighter than the other hid projectors.

You, continuing to claim they are illegal period (or that they are blinding bright) without federal .gov link, is only creating a perpetuated myth.

Intresting topic the higher you go in kelvin to make the color shift to blue(blue is illegal, and for emergency vehicles only) the dimmer they get. The brightest are around 4k and as you go to 6k or 8k it gets dimmer.

Last edited by spinn; 03-29-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Do the lights say DOT approved ?? If so lets see the paperwork.

Customs Seizing Imports of Illegal HID Conversion Kits | Specialty Equipment Market Association

This is from Washington state... All 50 states must comply with this law so in other words they are NOT legal ANYWHERE in the USA. If you want to call it a myth go ahead but at least look into it.

Are high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits legal?
No, in order for a headlight to be legal for use in Washington State, it must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements for headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS 108.
Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion kit's light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS 108 Section S7.7 (replacement light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast).
NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum candlepower by over 800 percent.

Last edited by xxllmm4; 03-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xxllmm4 For This Useful Post:
LATECH (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Okay, im passing this along to the officer I talked to.

I think this is what my search came up with. This particular standard deals with "not enough" lumination. As some kits go up in K the lighting dims too much. It is also the rule that requires vehicles to have headlights.

108 standard states-by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility

Always verify the headlight alignment and pattern. Always show courtesy to other motorists.

Last edited by spinn; 03-29-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Okay, im passing this along to the officer I talked to.

I think this is what my search came up with. This particular standard deals with "not enough" lumination. As some kits go up in K the lighting dims too much. It is also the rule that requires vehicles to have headlights.

108 standard states-by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility
it's not the bulb "brightness" it's your cars lens that wasn't designed for these controlling the beam..
the kits are not d.o.t. and are for off hyway use..
I'm not telling you not to use them... thats your choice..
but they WILL tow your car.. once the officer finds out you where not just driving with your hybeams on.. as thats a ticket.. but non d.o.t .aproved parts is tow.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

That does sound serious.

Not a towable infarction. Check your local.

If this is true I have a ton of questions.

DOT ratings are not on the old bulbs, How would they know if it was a stock halogen 9006 system, How would they know the bulbs design specs, Sylvaina makes multiple bulb types already that are oe replacement and break those guidelines. You can open any hood and say it does not list information.

The original connector is used and the filament goes in the same place and is roughly the same size. The voltage source is the same.

Last edited by spinn; 03-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

My truck has halogens too. Crap.

My old bulbs have nothing. No numbers or raised dot mold. None of my 3 vehicles have numbers on the bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldblubs.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	72736  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Cheap bulbs/ projector housings are illegal because they are not DOT rated, tho there is no law that officially states they are illegal, but without the proper projector housings they are too bright and will blind other drivers ( not dimming for a cop will get you pulled over ) Aiming them down a bit helps, but defeats the purpose of the HID ( projecting the beam farther ).
Parts do not have to have a DOT stamp directly on them as long as they conform and are certified. the lens itself is usually marked with the DOT cert.

I have been blinded more than once by miss aimed HID's, one of those times did almost cause an accident. and I will NEVER install one of those kits. The only upgrade I do to some of my vehicles is 4000K Halogens. FWIW, I drive everything from my '51 Chevy at night ( 6v ) and used to drive the '74 Beetle I had nightly to work and back, and never had any trouble seeing with only low beams. My truck is my current daily, and it just has stock sealed beam halogens in it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

My response was,

The beam pattern from a low beam projector system is a legal low beam beam pattern.

That is from the man.

I am agreeing with your point. Because this is only working in my application.

Honestly had no idea you could not change from incandescent to halogen. The pattern and spread on the old sealed beam flat sucks. My truck s housing are 4x6 Sirius, and the box says sae and ecc street legal. No dot on the housing front. My convertible has hella housings. Altered wiring, connectors, and charging system.

Im not changing them. My integra is keeping the DEATHRAY HEADLIGHTS.

Last edited by spinn; 03-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

If I understanding this correctly , any longlife LED would be illegal as well.

Here are the flat polished lens halogen housing on my convertible. They work real nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sasd4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	72738  
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Here in California the basic law is you can't make any modification to anything. I am not joking, if you were to dissect the California Vehicle code book what it basically comes down to is most any modification is illegal if the cop wants to take the time to ticket you.

A turn signal lens on a 2003 Blazer are amber.

The AM ones which are clear are illegal, it doesn't matter that you can put an amber bulb in it, it is illegal.

This Lexus with clear lenses is legal, because it came from the factory that way.

I don't know the legality of the HID light conversions but I have to believe they are illegal.

I understand that may not make sense, I an talking about the law and nothing else.

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

In a private discussion with a cop and a lawyer, these codes were arguably able to work for you and against.

Codes for everything. A very real thing.

Tire contact patch
speed rating
ride ht
lights
bumpers

and taxable horsepower

Last edited by spinn; 03-31-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
And VERY often the cop you ask doesn't even know the law! I have asked cops things or been pulled over for things only to find out they were wrong when I went to the vehicle code book.

So just asking a cop doesn't mean much really. They aren't perfect. And among the urban hot rod myths, they have been rapid for years. Here in California at least "The windshield has to be 12" (make up a number) high" Wrong, the tail lamps have to be a certain diameter, wrong, it goes on and on. How's this for an interesting one on hot rods here in California, you don't need headlamps mounted on the car during daylight, but you do need wipers at all time, now that is the law.

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

pretty soon in CA, they might as well make you mount your check book and wallet on the outside of the car for the pillaging.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
pretty soon in CA, they might as well make you mount your check book and wallet on the outside of the car for the pillaging.
Also NY State as noted on the Fox news website many times recently

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.