Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   What do you think of HID headlight kits? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-do-you-think-hid-headlight-kits-231267.html)

spinn 03-28-2013 08:44 PM

What do you think of HID headlight kits?

2 Attachment(s)
They have come down in price in recent years. Making it almost cheaper to convert to HID headlights than replace the halogens. I got 4 bulbs and 4 igniters at a cost of 50 bucks. plug and play.

The big question is are they cool?

I went with 3k yellow hi and 8k blue low. My car is green and if you step back the yellow and blue blend to green. Here check it out.

Custom10 03-28-2013 09:47 PM

I cant see the colors that well :smash:, but wondering how the current draw compares to the halogen ones?

spinn 03-28-2013 10:25 PM

Less power consumption and less heat emitted.

The bulbs color is really subtle.

Custom10 03-28-2013 11:40 PM

Well seems like they throw a fair bit of light, thats what I think.

xxllmm4 03-29-2013 01:16 AM

I think they suck and blind everyone on the road, ps conversions are illegal.

Custom10 03-29-2013 01:22 AM

I think the idea is seeing in the dark,,,What does the law have to do with it? I would hope he runs only low beam and then has the candle power to light up the back roads with deer blinding HID.

Custom10 03-29-2013 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pic swap, too lazy to find that thread,,,

AutoGear 03-29-2013 08:13 AM

Those of us on HR.com from Europe would find this laughable as American cars arent bright enough by comparison.

I dont mind the factory HIDs; I don't even mind a well installed 'kit' that is PROPERLY adjusted, but I get really bent when some tunerkid or dork in a jetta with a roof rack rollin on 15s is driving around with HIDs installed and not aligned. Someone in CNY almost lost their life because of a jackhole blinding them in oncoming traffic with improperly installed HIDs

Moral? Legal or not, make sure they're aligned properly

tech69 03-29-2013 09:57 AM

I think those kits are for kids trying to trick out POS cars. No offense to anybody but more often than not it seems like kids are the ones into upgrading their head lights. Hey, more power to them. I personally think normal head lights are fine.

spinn 03-29-2013 10:00 AM

The authorities state it is illegal to change the color beyond 8000 kelvin as the headlights become a blue color. Only emergency vehicles can have blue lights.

The HID used is the stock GM 35wt not 55.

It is illegal to drive in the city with the brights on. Hid or not.

Most kids have the clear alteeza? headlight housings, this changes the bulb location and sometimes has a reflector system. They also look cheap.

The integra has the factory projector headlight housing without mirrors to reflect the light sideways or whatever.

It is the same brightness as my neighbors audi or benz on the other side.

If you get a bulb out , and you want to replace it with HID kit, it is legal. Just follow the limitations of the law. The cost is very similar to halogen now.

NOT MORAL, your kidding right?

spinn 03-29-2013 10:22 AM

So they died because the headlight were too bright . That is awesome.

No disrespect meant. The story is not believeable. The momentarily blinded driver CAME BACK TO LIFE to issue the complaint that the lights were bright?

Did they hire a psychic to communicate with the dead to find out what caused the accident ?

Did the involved/passengers speculate on what the problem was, I think so.

It is a good story. There is an investigation team who finds which party is at fault. Then the party at fault has to blame it on something.

spinn 03-29-2013 10:57 AM

My friend Dan is just the opposite. He will only turn his headlights on if the streetlights are. He drives a dark colored car, and in the city the lights are timed. They don't have photo sensors. He has been creamed twice. It just isn't right.

LATECH 03-29-2013 11:22 AM

HID conversions are ILLEGAL in all 50 states. The reason is that An HID requires a projector style housing to focus and clip the light beam as they broadcast a flood of light .
Now if you have projector style housings then nevermind.
An HID in a standard housing floods the area in front of the car, you can see well but oncoming traffic is Dazzled with light and cannot see.
Try them and see. The Cops will let you know. rolly better to stop one and ask before you get the ticket.

spinn 03-29-2013 12:29 PM

Yes they are projectors.

Do you have a link to the federal 50 state law targeting hid conversion ? I would like to show somebody. When I enquired they decribed color as the illegal factor.

66GMC 03-29-2013 12:51 PM

I believe we had similar concerns and conversations when halogen lights came into favor in the 70's ... remember cibie, hella and bosch conversion kits?

It was really easy to spot a cop car coming towards you on a secondary highway, as they were the first, it seemed, to install them. :D

Hmmm, I wonder if they also had this conversation when "motorcars" first adopted "electric lighting"? :mwink: