What do you think? street motor- - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What do you think? street motor-

Hey guys Rookie builder here. What do you guys think this engine will do or produce? What do you think of the combo? .30 over 350, srs flat top pistons (11:1). scat h beam rods,eagle forged crank,aluminum angle plug heads-205/165 valves-215 runners, cant remember exhaust runner.roller rockers,elgin solid lift 499/499 lift cant remember duration, but has a rpm band of 2000-5600. choice of street dom intake or dual plane air gap. under intake oil deflector, 7 quart pan,crank scraper,windage tray. ATI balancer. msd pro billet dist. dual msd 6al boxes ( set up off of procup car) Have the option of a 250 adj shot of nos. Can't decide what size carb or brand I want to use. 10 inch 2800 tci converter,tci tranny th 350,don't know what gear yet but for a 9 inch. oh yea going in a 68 camaro rs. Please feel free to add your comment! Cant learn without criticism!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

What's the intended use of this motor? I can tell you one thing, the cam is too short for 11:1 and with your intended rpm range, the heads are too big.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

I'm assuming this is going to be a strip motor, with the info given it's not going to behave well on the street. Why the dual MSD boxes? My understanding of the reason for running two boxes is in case one craps out you can switch to the other one. At least I think thats why the Nascar guys do it. Please tell me if there is another reason or benefit to doing this. Compression is a lil high for pump gas. I really think you should either go bigger on the cam or smaller on the heads to balance things out a tad. Your going to have issues filling those cylinders sufficiently with the .499 lift. The semi-dual plane airgap should give you a little bet better bottom end performance but this motor is going to want to breath. If you can find more cam specs it would be helpful, I'd like to know the dynamic compression. It would also help with picking the best rear gear.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM

what size cam?

The cam I mentioned is the biggest cam that I had around the shop. I can go bigger but how much bigger without having to buy another converter? Heads to big? This is a weekend warrior, street/strip,showboat, a big boy toy, so what do I need to change or do to get it even witout respendng gobs of money? Thanks for reading my post by the way,you guys are great.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSouthWon
I'm assuming this is going to be a strip motor, with the info given it's not going to behave well on the street. Why the dual MSD boxes? My understanding of the reason for running two boxes is in case one craps out you can switch to the other one. At least I think thats why the Nascar guys do it. Please tell me if there is another reason or benefit to doing this. Compression is a lil high for pump gas. I really think you should either go bigger on the cam or smaller on the heads to balance things out a tad. Your going to have issues filling those cylinders sufficiently with the .499 lift. The semi-dual plane airgap should give you a little bet better bottom end performance but this motor is going to want to breath. If you can find more cam specs it would be helpful, I'd like to know the dynamic compression. It would also help with picking the best rear gear.
You are right about the boxes, to be able to switch over if one kicks the bucket. I recieved them from a friend on a trade. They both work and look very awesome in a package together like that. It looks like alot of ignition if you don't know alot about it! Other than that ,yep they work one at a time. If I could hook them both up to work at the same time and it did not melt my ignition system it would be like awaking frankinstien!LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSouthWon
Why the dual MSD boxes? My understanding of the reason for running two boxes is in case one craps out you can switch to the other one. At least I think thats why the Nascar guys do it. Please tell me if there is another reason or benefit to doing this.
You know NASCAR limits the electronics on the cars, but sometimes an auxiliary box will have a different rev limiter chip in it that can be used to adjust for changing racing lines and/or track conditions. You see this used more in practice.

But I agree that the primary reason is just as a back-up.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

This is the type of cam you need if you're going to use a hydraulic flat tappet.
http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...tType=camshaft
Now, I'm not sayin' use THIS cam in particular. I'm just sayin' look at the specs given here. Read the cam card completely. Look at the timing events at 0.050" shown at the bottom of the card. Adding 105 and 115 together and dividing by 2 tells you that this cam is ground on a 110 degree Lobe Separation Angle.
If this were my motor though, with the bottom end built, good heads and 11:1 SCR, I'd be thinkin' solid flat tappet, the size of this Crane or a little bigger, ground on 108 or even 106 LSA and wind the snot out of it. Something like this, except with a narrower LSA.....
http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...tType=camshaft
You screwed up by choosing the converter before the cam. Hopefully it will work out for you.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM

what would....

the motor do on the cam i have,I found the specs.ELG-E1133p,solid lift,498/498,280 dur.(@50 246) 108 lobe center +2 degrees 2000-5000 range. Thats why I said the 2800 converter. I do have a 3200-3500. Id have to gear the **** out of it to run 7000 around these country roads. I was trying for alot of tourqe and power around cruising speeds. 2000-5500 or something like that. But hey thats why my title says what it says.When I learn more ill change it to novice builder!LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

"I was trying for alot of tourqe and power around cruising speeds. 2000-5500 or something like that"

Then you should not have built it 11:1 SCR and used humongous heads.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 AM

Ok

So if I went with a cam you mentioned would that help solve my mismatch?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

Other than just saying yes or no, I'll try to explain what the problem is. Big valves, big runners, big carb, a single plane intake manifold all want lots of rpm's, lots of fuel, and lots of air. You've got all that covered up until the opening and closing of the valves and the amount of time that they are opened and closed. Your cam controls this. If you think of your valves as doors that are controlled by the cam, you could look at the doors on your engine only opening part of the way for a short period of time. A higher lift cam is going to open those doors wider, and a longer duration cam is going to hold them open for a longer period of time. Thats what you need to fill your cylinders with air and fuel sufficiently, efficiently. Vacuum plays into this scenario a lot, and at low rpms your setup probably isn't going to have much vacuum to suck air and fuel through the carb. But as your RPM's increase so will your vacuum. That's one of the reasons your engine operates better at a higher RPM band. Low vacuum also creates other issues such as poorly performing power brakes, but I'm trying to stay focused on the engine.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie builder
ELG-E1133p,solid lift, 498/498, 280 dur.(@50 246) 108 lobe center +2 degrees 2000-5000 range.
Usually a cam w/these specs would have a higher RPM range, wouldn't you think?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Oops, yeah. I confused his cam info with one from another post. The cam actually listed in this post (thanks cobalt) is not going to have much bottom end torque. Hey it's 9:00 in the morning I'm not awake just yet, lol. Sorry. I do how ever think that he could go with a little bit higher lift, and make this a strip engine. I don't think it's gonna be a great performer on the street with out some significant changes to the internals.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM

That's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Usually a cam w/these specs would have a higher RPM range, wouldn't you think?
I have had this cam for some time, I recieved this cam from a friend of mine, He bought it and ever used it ( sold the engine before he got to put it together). I have had this cam for 4 years now and didn't know what to do with it because mainly I didn't know what it was ( no cam card). I called Elgin andthe nice man overthe phone(NOT) like I was wasting his time,gave me these numbers. I should really use a degree wheel and see for myself I guess. I was looking at the firs cam you showed me and it has a smaller lift than this one has. The specs are not far off. The second cam was muc bigger and I a looking into that now. I now know that big is not better, I tried to go big and keep everything close but I'll learn. So tell me what is a good street motor combo? I think I can make this work ,I think.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie builder
So tell me what is a good street motor combo? I think I can make this work ,I think.
techinspector1 is da man for this.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.