What do you think? Worth looking at?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 02:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What do you think? Worth looking at??

Hey Guys,

I'm by far a 4x4 Guy, I currently own a F-150 4x4 and am building a Bronco II.

Now my neighbor has this car sitting in her yard thats been there for a couple years. A 1966 Coronet 383. From what I've heard the entire drivetrain (motor,tranny,rearend) was rebuilt a couple years before it was taken off the road. It was in a accident in which someone put it in the ditch. Front passenger side took the hit and it looks like the bumper is pushed up, not sure if frame is bent. It was fired up a couple years ago by her "new husband" and they got it running and did a burnout with it and broke the driveshaft.

So it's been sitting there ever since. THere is a parts car further back in the yard, i think it has decent quarter panels on it. From what i know the car is complete.

My question is do you think it is worth pursuing for a first project car, or should I look for something with parts easier to find?

Whjat do you think this car is worth??

Here is a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coronet.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	3511  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 02:48 AM

Last photo:

If you are willing to spend some time on it go for it...

Eric
Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

If the price is right, go for it
Old 01-02-2005, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This car, if properly restored, will be worth 3 times the money of most muscle cars. That said, in order for it to be worth the time, effort and money that it would take to turn this beast into a reasonable investment, you'll need to take a very close look at it.

You have to modify your thinking when looking at Mopars because they're not like your typical Ford and Chevy muscle cars. The value of a Mopar is based on it's originality more than how fast you can make it. If its an original car (big block, 4 speed etc) then returning it to original condition is where the the "money" is. Restored it would be worth two to three times what it would be if heavily modified. On the other hand if it was originally a small block car then doing a GTX clone or resto mod into something like a pro-touring cruiser wouldn't ruin it's value. As a clone it would never be worth what an original would be but it would be comparable to any of the big block Ford or Chevy muscle cars running around now days.

As an example, a fully restored 71 Hemi Cuda sold last year at Barrett-Jackson in the high 6 figures, where the hemi "clones" of the same type sold for $50-$60K. The wedge cars of course were 25-30% less, but still sold for prices comparable to the Chevelles and Mustangs.

When evaluating the car, check the frame very carefully. If it has significant rust out run, don't walk home. With a rusted out frame all it's goint to be good for is a parts car. If, on the other hand it's in fairly good shape then the car is probably worth, in the condition its in right now around $3000-$4000 providing it is "complete". If you can get it for less then you're that much ahead.

Good luck

Centerline
Old 01-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

They all seem to demand a pretty good price. If you don't telling...how much can you get it for?

$60,000.00

$20,000 with different engine

$5.600.00

$15,000.00

$12,500.00
Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

I could pick up the car for about $1500 CDN including the parts car.

Looks like it could be a good deal. I'm not really interested in restoration just for the money, more for the fun to drive, an maybe resale sometime down the road.

I haven't looked really close at it, but it seems complete.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 09:34 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Even though you didn't show us a picture of the damaged side I will still say that $1,500 Canadian is an absolute STEAL.

Buy that car.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

that could be a sweet ride, i agree with centerline. make sure you check that frame the top of the front fenders were also a problem spot on mopar too. if it all checks out go for it
Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

I've never been a big mopar fan, but that sounds like smart money, even to me.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Seems like a deal.. Mopars are cool, but harder to find parts for, the fact that there is a parts car with it seems like a dream come true!

Centerline mentioned Barret Jackson. I cant say that I trust the "auction method" of placing value on a car. Just because some NutJob w/160k pays that much for a cuda, is it really worth that much? It reminds me of the "hot wheels" market almost 10 years ago. Almost every hot wheel was getting sold at ridiculous prices on ebay, which caused a false "inflation" of the prices, which eventually "crashed'".. Action figures, and Disney collectable, and most collectables in general, have experienced this kind of flucuation at some point. And indeed hotwheel collector books reflect this change now.

This is not to say that there are not "true" collectables. Some Cars, like their 1/64th scale counter parts indeed have "true" collectablilty. But I have noticed this is usually based on legitimate things, like limited production, limited engine/tranny combo, rare paint color/scheme, all original etc... While I do enjoy watching the cars at barret jackson (speed channel showed last years over the holiday) I can say that they have appointed themselves, "the barometer" of cars prices, and by doing so, they can set the prices, and in turn make higher profits based on their inflated prices.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

heck worse comes to worse buy it and give it to me
Old 01-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by crazygutgut
Centerline mentioned Barret Jackson. I cant say that I trust the "auction method" of placing value on a car. Just because some NutJob w/160k pays that much for a cuda, is it really worth that much?
On Saturday I watched a few hours of Barret Jackson auto auctions at my moms parents house. It seems every selling price is about double the actual value. A 34 Ford went on the block and sold for some insane amount (100,000?) One of the narrators said something to the effect that "this kind of selling price makes hot rodders squirm because on the real market that car wouldn't bring half that."

The way the bidders are pushed into bidding higher and higher by those goof balls Jackson has working the floor is nauseating.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
On Saturday I watched a few hours of Barret Jackson auto auctions at my moms parents house. It seems every selling price is about double the actual value. A 34 Ford went on the block and sold for some insane amount (100,000?) One of the narrators said something to the effect that "this kind of selling price makes hot rodders squirm because on the real market that car wouldn't bring half that." .....
I'm going to attempt the impossible and defend Barrett-Jackson, at least a little bit anyhow.

You have to remember that the people who are buying the high end, top dollar cars at places like Barrett-Jackson aren't buying them to drive. Most are purchasing a collector car for an investment. Sure it might be driven occasionally but it will wind up stored in a climate controlled garage 99% of the time. These people can afford to pay upwards of 7 figures for an original hemi Cuda or Charger Daytona or Superbird just as easily as they can spend that same amount on a 1926 Pierce-Arrow or 1935 Delahay.

The problem with the TV coverage is that they don't show the average cars purchased by the average buyer because viewers aren't interested in seeing someone pay $15000 for a 66 GTO that may need a paint job. This gives people a skewed view of what really goes on there. Also the TV commentators don't know a damn thing about muscle cars or "hot rods". They're expertise is in antiques and formula 1 racing so half the time what they say when they're looking at a "hot rod" or muscle car is outright wrong.

OK, I'm done defending them.

Centerline
Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

I wouldn't call that defending, more like stating the obvious.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Hey, I wish I had 160K to overpay on a car! WHen I was collecting hot wheels, and I bought "expensive" ones or traded with others, there was always that "did I pay too much" doubt. I came to realize, that if you are not comfortable with the price, you never will be, so then you should probably not buy. This is the same with most purchases I think..

My problem with Barret-Jackson, is they DO represent themselves as the "barometer" of classic car prices. They are trying to affect prices of cars, so they can earn more profit. In my opinon this hurts people like us on this board, because it makes some cars "unobtainable". Sure some cars will always be that way. As much as I would love to own a 38 Zephyr, I know that will probably never happen unless I buy a deco rides! or do the 38 ford "conversion" method! I think for me I am just annoyed that its all ready hard to get some decent cars, based soley on their nameplate, then to see the price being driven artificially up, because of an auction price.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.