Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what do you use for lights in your shop/garage?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a small garage, and have been using it pretty much since I was a kid. It has five lights in it, and some windows.
This picture shows four of the lights.

Closest, is a six foot fixture, it has two HO (110Watt) T12 tubes. This is an odd lamp, and I have to go to a specialty lighting supply to get new lamps for it.
Over the cluttered bench, is a 4 foot, "shop lamp", that uses T8 32 watt lamps. Just your normal "home depot" type shop light.
On the back side of the garage, is an old two tube four foot fluorescent fixture. This was made from parts salvaged from an old fixture, and is so old, it uses a starter, the little can about the size of a turn signal flasher. This fixture takes about 4 seconds to warm up, and come on, but it has always come on, and I do not think I have put new lamps in it since about 1980?

Over the bench, by the windows, are two 6" 500 watt theatrical Fresnels.
This is a close up picture.

These fixtures are on gimbals, and can be pointed anywhere in the garage, and focused from a fairly narrow spot, to a wide flood. They are wired into dimmers.
These lights can also supply a bit of radiant heat. In fact, I have taken these lamps down, mounted them on a stand, and used them to help cure gelcoat and fiberglass in cold weather. The picture is taken around around 50 or 60 percent of full output.