Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - what do you use for lights in your shop/garage?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use florescent lights and I paint everything in the garage white; ceiling floors and walls. It helps with reflectivity.

I have no windows for a couple reasons. One is, no one looks inside. Second, on bright days your eyes adjust to the bright window and make it difficult to see inside. Skylights might be a better solution but I have a drop ceiling and not ready to put roof windows. I have a hard time getting the bathroom vent to seal.

A problem people often do not realize is the florescent lights like I have, can limit the wave length of light. While everything is well lit, it can still be difficult to see what you are looking at. This can strain the eyes or make you tired when you don't even realize it.

One way to see this, go to your tap set. Pick up a medium size tap and read the shaft. Now go to a smaller tap till you cannot read the numbers. Now take it outside and see if you can read it. I can easily read a tap in natural light when I couldn't even see writing on the shaft under the florescent light.

I am not suggesting not using florescent. I use it for obvious reasons (size of the shop, large lamps, etc) but I do have a light tree I point on different projects from time to time. When the light tree on I can feel my eyes relax and it is just easier to see things.