Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What does "383 stroker" mean?

53K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
OK, I've been around enough to know 383 stroker is some version of a standard displacement engine with the piston stroke changed to increase the displacement. What I don't know. . is this a common term for what kind of engine? 327 chev? 350 chev? And does it mean the stroke is changed with a new crank, new rods? both? I'm looking at buying (actually been looking at buying for months :rolleyes: ) a 32 where the engine is listed as "383 stroker"

#4 ·
To get into how it was come up with.
For starters, rod lenth doesn't change the stroke lenth or cubic inches.
With that out of the way, lets start.
Guys back in time was looking for a way to get more cubic inches out of a 350. So they got a crankshaft out of a 400 small block.
Now, this had one problem, the 400's crankshaft has a 2.650 main journal size and a 350 has a 2.450 main journal size. They simply had the mains ground down to 2.450 so it would drop right in to the 350 block. Now, what the 400 and 350 had in common was, the compression height of the pistons was the same at 1.560, the rod lenth was different. The 350 used a 5.703 inch rod, the 400 used a shorter 5.565 inch rod. So they installed a 350 piston on the 400 rod, and since the compression height of the pistons were the same, this brought it right back into specs. It's called a "stroker" because a longer stroke crank was installed that increased cubic inches.

#5 ·
DoubleVision said:
To get into how it was come up with.
For starters, rod lenth doesn't change the stroke lenth or cubic inches.
With that out of the way, lets start.
Guys back in time was looking for a way to get more cubic inches out of a 350. So they got a crankshaft out of a 400 small block.
Now, this had one problem, the 400's crankshaft has a 2.650 main journal size and a 350 has a 2.450 main journal size. They simply had the mains ground down to 2.450 so it would drop right in to the 350 block. Now, what the 400 and 350 had in common was, the compression height of the pistons was the same at 1.560, the rod lenth was different. The 350 used a 5.703 inch rod, the 400 used a shorter 5.565 inch rod. So they installed a 350 piston on the 400 rod, and since the compression height of the pistons were the same, this brought it right back into specs. It's called a "stroker" because a longer stroke crank was installed that increased cubic inches.
Ayuh,.... Excellent explanation,...

I'll only throw in there that is also takes a .030 over-bore to reach the 383 inches...

#8 ·
You won't necessarily have to buy a new crank or connecting rods. Those really only need to be replaced if there is something wrong. You may even be able to reuse the pistons if the block doesn't need to bored again. Even if any of those parts did need to be replaced you can find 383 cranks and pistons easily through mail order companies like Summit, Jegs, etc. and can probably order them just as easily through local parts houses just as easily.

As far as it being a "stroker" I kinda think that term belongs in the automotive history books being a "stroker" really doesn't say much. As far as I'm concerned, it's a 383. Calling it a stroker just sounds cool. Suppose you have a 327 (same bore as a 350 or 383) and you put a 350 crank in it. You stroked your 327 to a 350 so does that mean it's a stroker or just a 350? Or what if it was a new block and a new crank built as a 383? I just think it's an outdated term.

#9 · (Edited)
There are two version of 383. The first one is a home brew version where a 4.00" 350 block is bored out 30 over by 3.75" stroke from a 400sbc.
A 383 home brew is really bored and stoked.
The second version is a crate 383 from over the counter Chevy. That is a 4.00" bore by 3.8" stroke. It uses 5.7" connecting rods.
This is a true stroker where the bore stays the same.
A 307 is a true stroker from a 283. from a 3.00" to a 3.25"

#13 ·
I know I'm not one of the Chevy "gurus" around here, but having built hundreds of 383s over the years, I do have some pertinent input.

First, when refering to the small block Chevy "383", the word "stroker" is redundant. That is, no need to say it since there were no "factory" 383s. If it's a small block Chevy, and 383 CID, it IS a "stroker". And the 3.8" stroke being used with "standard" blocks has been around a long time, as well, making a "412" at a .030" over bore.

GREAT combination. When properly executed, IMO, the BEST small block "street performance" engine using "stock" parts. We started doing it when the 400 blocks wre dropping "out" (not the best block Chevy ever came up with... Just stretched TOO far, IMO), it seemed like a waste throwing those nice nodular cranks away. Since we'd (engine builders) been been using 4" stroke cranks in 389s since the early '60s, and 283 cranks in 327 blocks ("301", the "original" Chevy 302, along with the .125" over 283), etc., making cranks "fit" where they weren't intended, it seemed like the logical thing to do., I believe the first one I had my "fingers" in was in summer of '71. It went in a '66 'vette and really made an impression! Dick Latona (RIP) in San Bernardino ground the mains.

We shipped a 383 to Holland for a Cobra "kit car". The man said he wanted 500 HP. I tried to explain the issues with driving a 500 HP car, but he wanted what he wanted... So, he got a 500 HP 383. It took he and his brother a couple years of "light" practice before they were really comfortable driving the car "in traffic". Now they LOVE it. At the old "Dutch Grand Prix" track, they open it for street cars and ammetuers. They had a BALL! And the car "cracked" 180 on the long straight (3.23 gears, OD). Later that day, it "broke" the brake in a Mustang 500 HP dyno. Argh! Argh! Humor... Those Dutch boys are getting a real "taste" for American V8s!

We've also learned, if building a real performance version, it's best to use either a Chevy nodular crank or an aftermarket forging. The circle track crowd had us use the "cast steel" versions when they first arrived (CHEAP). They failed quick and often. Beat #2 and 4 mains out (flexing like crazy). We keep the imported castings ONLY for 'pickup" and show car stuff (5,000 RPM "limit"), not for anything remotely serious.

The "flip side" is the 377. After we started building all these torquey street motors, we had parts "left over". Like a 400 block, a 350 crank... HHHHMMM... My first 377 build was in '75. Talk about a rev MONSTER! The big bore really woke up those 2.055" valved heads! We started using the 2.08" valves because they just kept flowing more. Amazing what boire size can "do" for a cylinder head...

Okay, I've rambled about the past enough. Just know, even though I'm a "Pontiac guy", I have some really good "war stories" involving some of my small blocks, especially the 383s and 400s. You'll never hear ME "bad mouth" the small block... except that MAYBE, there's just too damn many of them "out there"... Wonder why... :)-

Jim

#14 ·
Mr. P-Body said:
I know I'm not one of the Chevy "gurus" around here, but having built hundreds of 383s over the years, I do have some pertinent input.

First, when refering to the small block Chevy "383", the word "stroker" is redundant. That is, no need to say it since there were no "factory" 383s. If it's a small block Chevy, and 383 CID, it IS a "stroker". And the 3.8" stroke being used with "standard" blocks has been around a long time, as well, making a "412" at a .030" over bore.

GREAT combination. When properly executed, IMO, the BEST small block "street performance" engine using "stock" parts. We started doing it when the 400 blocks wre dropping "out" (not the best block Chevy ever came up with... Just stretched TOO far, IMO), it seemed like a waste throwing those nice nodular cranks away. Since we'd (engine builders) been been using 4" stroke cranks in 389s since the early '60s, and 283 cranks in 327 blocks ("301", the "original" Chevy 302, along with the .125" over 283), etc., making cranks "fit" where they weren't intended, it seemed like the logical thing to do., I believe the first one I had my "fingers" in was in summer of '71. It went in a '66 'vette and really made an impression! Dick Latona (RIP) in San Bernardino ground the mains.

We shipped a 383 to Holland for a Cobra "kit car". The man said he wanted 500 HP. I tried to explain the issues with driving a 500 HP car, but he wanted what he wanted... So, he got a 500 HP 383. It took he and his brother a couple years of "light" practice before they were really comfortable driving the car "in traffic". Now they LOVE it. At the old "Dutch Grand Prix" track, they open it for street cars and ammetuers. They had a BALL! And the car "cracked" 180 on the long straight (3.23 gears, OD). Later that day, it "broke" the brake in a Mustang 500 HP dyno. Argh! Argh! Humor... Those Dutch boys are getting a real "taste" for American V8s!

We've also learned, if building a real performance version, it's best to use either a Chevy nodular crank or an aftermarket forging. The circle track crowd had us use the "cast steel" versions when they first arrived (CHEAP). They failed quick and often. Beat #2 and 4 mains out (flexing like crazy). We keep the imported castings ONLY for 'pickup" and show car stuff (5,000 RPM "limit"), not for anything remotely serious.

The "flip side" is the 377. After we started building all these torquey street motors, we had parts "left over". Like a 400 block, a 350 crank... HHHHMMM... My first 377 build was in '75. Talk about a rev MONSTER! The big bore really woke up those 2.055" valved heads! We started using the 2.08" valves because they just kept flowing more. Amazing what boire size can "do" for a cylinder head...

Okay, I've rambled about the past enough. Just know, even though I'm a "Pontiac guy", I have some really good "war stories" involving some of my small blocks, especially the 383s and 400s. You'll never hear ME "bad mouth" the small block... except that MAYBE, there's just too damn many of them "out there"... Wonder why... :)-

Jim
I've put just a few engines together in my day, but info like this reminds me that I don't know squat compared to what you guys know about engines. Great historical info on the origin of 383.
So would the seller's claim of 450hp with dual quads and some sort of mild cam be realistic?

#15 ·
jdsaengine said:
I've put just a few engines together in my day, but info like this reminds me that I don't know squat compared to what you guys know about engines. Great historical info on the origin of 383.
So would the seller's claim of 450hp with dual quads and some sort of mild cam be realistic?
Ayuh,... It's Not Unrealistic,.....

#16 ·
stroker

A stroker is a 350 Chevy engine with a 400 crank shaft installed. that gives the 350 engine a longer stroke than the original 350. that's how it got the name "stroker". You CAN NOT!! just put a 400 crank shaft into a 350. the block will need to be modified to accept the 400 crank.

#17 ·
jdsaengine said:
That's a very believable HP rating with the right heads, cam, and intake/carb setup. It doesn't even have to be a radical cam to reach that HP rating at the crank with a 383 SBC.
On a sidenote to the "stroker". We've come to think of a stroker as an engine that's stroked to get more cubic inches and torque, but it also can be the reverse with a destroked engine like the 377, or the old 301 (327 with a 283 crank).
Seems most rodders want the lowend torque, longer stroke, and larger cubic inches these days, but it used to be the opposite in the 60's when rodders wanted high revving engines with short strokes.

#20 ·
1971BB427 said:
Yeah! I bet it is a rocket! What did you have to do to keep it cool?
I don't have access to pics wile here at work, but what I did was fabricate a serpentine belt setup that runs dirrectly on a machined damper. then mounted a pump (from an iron duke) alongside the engine and plumbed into the stock water passages on the front of the block. this gives the needed clearance between engine and frame rail (engine sits sideways ya' know ;) ). custom 3 core rad is in the stock location up front. runs 180* on the hottest summer day in traffic.

Russ

#22 ·
1971BB427 said:
Good stuff Russ! Do you have a link to a build thread anywhere? I'd love to see more of this Fiero project!
Thanks BB427,

That car was built 7-8 years ago, so many of the pics are dead links now, but there might be a couple interesting engine shots still active here:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20090907-2-086758.html

I still own the car, but don't drive it as much since I got old, and the car got harder to get in and out of. :D

I was "Russ544" when I lived at the above forum btw. ;)

Russ

#23 ·
jdsaengine said:
OK, I've been around enough to know 383 stroker is some version of a standard displacement engine with the piston stroke changed to increase the displacement. What I don't know. . is this a common term for what kind of engine? 327 chev? 350 chev? And does it mean the stroke is changed with a new crank, new rods? both? I'm looking at buying (actually been looking at buying for months :rolleyes: ) a 32 where the engine is listed as "383 stroker"
It is worth noting that, while GM never installed a SBC 383 engine into a production vehicle, GM does sell (under the GM Performance Parts or "GMPP" banner) a new 383 cid SBC engine. It is based on a 4" standard bore block along w/a 3.8" stroke crankshaft, instead of the traditional 4.030" overbore and 3.75" stroke. This is because they use new blocks, and there's no reason to bore it oversize, so they use a slightly longer stroke crank to get the 'magical' 383 size.

One of the main reasons the SBC 383 is referred to as a 383 stroker, is because Mopar had a 383 cid engine as far back as the late '50s (RB version), and the Mopar 383 B version was a staple in Chrysler products from the early '60s until its demise. A lot of guys got acquainted w/the 383 B engine in the Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Super Bee in 'the later '60s.

So when the SBC 383 was first created, there needed to be a designation for them that separated them from the Mopar- hence "383 stroker".

Dual 4-barrel 383 D-500 engine w/long ram intake. Old enough to use a generator instead of an alternator.

#24 ·
Northstar T said:
I love seeing 383 builds. that means more parts for me to build a good combination with those "left over" parts (377ci). I have one that I built with alum heads and moderate cam, in (still mid engine) an 86 Fiero. a true pocket rocket. :)

Russ
Funny a buddy of mine and I were just talking about the 377. Him and his dad build tons of these when they were dirt track racing. High revs, as in setting the limiter to 8000! Cheap because everyone would strip the 350 cam and junk them, and junk the 400 blocks after taking the cam. He said literally they built hundreds in a few years. Everyone had a "Gold Racing Engine" he would buy em cheap, build em cheap, and sell them like hot cakes!

#25 ·
JMSTOY said:
Funny a buddy of mine and I were just talking about the 377. Him and his dad build tons of these when they were dirt track racing. High revs, as in setting the limiter to 8000! Cheap because everyone would strip the 350 cam and junk them, and junk the 400 blocks after taking the cam. He said literally they built hundreds in a few years. Everyone had a "Gold Racing Engine" he would buy em cheap, build em cheap, and sell them like hot cakes!
I assume you meant "crank" when you said "cam"? Cams wouldn't change much to make any engine a different cubic inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.