What does everyone do about Fuel Tank Vent Smell? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What does everyone do about Fuel Tank Vent Smell?

Not quite certain how to title this Thread, but I am in the throes of upgrading my Fuel System and thought (after reading some Threads here) about not wanting a "fuel smell" in my garage when my Car sits, so,

I have thought of the Charcoal Cannister thing (and if I used this option I don't know who's/what Cannister to use), but my understanding is that you have to hook it up to your Intake, which I cannot do given my configuration-if I'm wrong about this, please let me know!

I've also heard about using a shut-off valve, which I can, but I'd hate to forget to open it!

What is everyone using on their non-factory build to deal with this? There has to be a trick here that I don't know-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

installing the vent to the charcoal canister so the tank vents through the canister will help..use anyone you can find at the pick a-part..factory install will run a hose from the canister to the intake but oh well maybe we can't do that..

Sam
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Put a PCV on the vent line
Old 06-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Craig - I ran into that problem when I first put gas in my car. I had suggestions from fuggedaboutit, it's a hot rod to install the GM vacuum canister/return system. What I ended up doing is mounting the roll over/vent valve on a 4-5 inch extension on the tank top which raises it well above the fuel tank level. I then ran a piece of fuel hose as high as possible in the trunk behind the upholstery with a couple of 360* loops and then out of the car body and bracketed to rear fender brace with another loop - all out of sight. Is it 100% - dang close. Any condensate that settles in the line loops is then sucked back into the tank when running as I'm using an unvented gas cap.

Also - one drop of gas will stink up a shop and if the system has the tiniest leak, tough sometimes to find, it will be a problem as well - and I went through that too

Dave W
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
installing the vent to the charcoal canister so the tank vents through the canister will help..use anyone you can find at the pick a-part..factory install will run a hose from the canister to the intake but oh well maybe we can't do that..

Sam

Sam,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into that, and Iwonder if those Cannisters rely on the Intake vacuum to draw in the vapor?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Put a PCV on the vent line

In thinking about this one, isn't a PCV essentially a one way valve? Doesn't a Fuel Tank need to be able to both expand and contract?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Craig - I ran into that problem when I first put gas in my car. I had suggestions from fuggedaboutit, it's a hot rod to install the GM vacuum canister/return system. What I ended up doing is mounting the roll over/vent valve on a 4-5 inch extension on the tank top which raises it well above the fuel tank level. I then ran a piece of fuel hose as high as possible in the trunk behind the upholstery with a couple of 360* loops and then out of the car body and bracketed to rear fender brace with another loop - all out of sight. Is it 100% - dang close. Any condensate that settles in the line loops is then sucked back into the tank when running as I'm using an unvented gas cap.

Also - one drop of gas will stink up a shop and if the system has the tiniest leak, tough sometimes to find, it will be a problem as well - and I went through that too

Dave W

Dave,

Thank you very much for the long explanation, and an elegant solution that must have taken some brain power as I would have not thought of that!

In my case the Tank is below the Floor, so I will have to do some thinking on how to accomplish it, although it does sound like a great idea! I am going to run hard line all the way (except for a couple of small pieces in the engine bay) to try and stop any "leaks"-

Hmmm, maybe I can do both?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

When I built my gasser I vented the fuel cell with hard line and did a 360 degree loop right at the tank to avoid the smell from exiting the tank. I also added a simple fuel filter to the end of the line to keep bugs from crawling into the vent line, and further contain smells.
I don't have any fuel smell issues even when the car sits for weeks in the garage.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Sam,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into that, and Iwonder if those Cannisters rely on the Intake vacuum to draw in the vapor?
The use the vacuum for testing. In most cars the evap is tested by pulling a vacuum on the tank and seeing how long it holds. The vacuum is also used to purge the canister which I dont think would be needed in your case

Chet

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.