What does this look like? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

What does this look like?

Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me out here. My buddy sent me a picture of this head he was given (I think I know why). Its a B16 honda head and is loaded with all the aftermarket goodies. Can you explain what the pitting is around the edge of the chamber? Also looks like there may be a crack forming on the edge too but I will have to check it to be sure. He is planning on having the combustion chamber welded up to a clover design for more compression but just curious as to what causes this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG955984.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	66796  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218 View Post
Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me out here. My buddy sent me a picture of this head he was given (I think I know why). Its a B16 honda head and is loaded with all the aftermarket goodies. Can you explain what the pitting is around the edge of the chamber? Also looks like there may be a crack forming on the edge too but I will have to check it to be sure. He is planning on having the combustion chamber welded up to a clover design for more compression but just curious as to what causes this. Thanks!
Not real sure looks like it's coming apart to me.JMO what does the block look like ?

Cole
Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
That's not unlike "fretting" (sometimes called brinelling but I'm unsure if that's a correct term for this or if it's false brinelling or neither), where the fire ring of the head gasket erodes away some of the material of the head caused by small movement of the head in relation to the head gasket. It can be from using a HG w/the wrong type fire ring (not pre flattened, for example), or from insufficient fastener torque or the fasteners are unable to contain the compression (see this when spraying w/nitrous).

That may be a mar and not a crack but I'd definitely do a dyeglo test on it to be sure. The damage looks to be shallow enough that milling the head should remove most if not all of it, and if he's looking to raise the CR anyway (as long as it won't make the deck too thin) that shouldn't be a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
zildjian4life218 (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pitting is on chamber side of the fire ring. Probably from moisture (water) or possibly a small bit of something got loose in the cylinder.. A mild cut (.002-.005") will remove it if you are concerned. Most Honda heads can't be cut more than .008"
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Pitting is on chamber side of the fire ring. Probably from moisture (water) or possibly a small bit of something got loose in the cylinder.. A mild cut (.002-.005") will remove it if you are concerned. Most Honda heads can't be cut more than .008"
fire ring being the piece of metal imbedded into the head gasket that goes around the chamber?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Correct............
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

So this isn't a sign of like detonation or something like that?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM

We (machinists) call them "diggers". It IS from detonation most of the time. It "rattles" the gasket and the fire ring "digs in". It's VERY common in Japanese engines, both on the head AND the block. Isuzu is perhaps the worst. Honda is right up there... Resurfacing the head will "fix" it. Inspect the deck surface of the block, too. It probably will "mirror" the damage in the head.

I've read the "limit" on milling Hondas before. I've even seen it in Honda service books. I've also seen a shop that builds a lot of Hondas, take .040" without a second thought... Valve-to-piston clearance is crucial, and MUST be checked/modified. My point here is, don't take EVERYTHING literally. Sometimes, there are reasons for these "rules" and other times, these "rules" appear to serve no logical function.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. P-Body For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
We (machinists) call them "diggers". It IS from detonation most of the time. It "rattles" the gasket and the fire ring "digs in". It's VERY common in Japanese engines, both on the head AND the block. Isuzu is perhaps the worst. Honda is right up there... Resurfacing the head will "fix" it. Inspect the deck surface of the block, too. It probably will "mirror" the damage in the head.

I've read the "limit" on milling Hondas before. I've even seen it in Honda service books. I've also seen a shop that builds a lot of Hondas, take .040" without a second thought... Valve-to-piston clearance is crucial, and MUST be checked/modified. My point here is, don't take EVERYTHING literally. Sometimes, there are reasons for these "rules" and other times, these "rules" appear to serve no logical function.

Jim
Awesome response. thanks for the reply! Why is it so common on japanese engines? I never understood how so many of my friends slap on turbo kits and take a tune off the internet and go drive. This must be what happens when you don't put the correct tune on the engine or understand whats really going on.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Awesome response. thanks for the reply! Why is it so common on japanese engines? I never understood how so many of my friends slap on turbo kits and take a tune off the internet and go drive. This must be what happens when you don't put the correct tune on the engine or understand whats really going on.
Is the history of this engine known, as in has it seen nitrous or turbocharging?

My take on it would be that the limits of how much boost or nitrous/compression was found and almost exceeded. Looks to me as though he got away w/it- but barely. The cause could be excessive boost or nitrous use even w/a good tune on the engine, too much timing for the conditions (this can occur naturally aspirated as well as boosted), insufficient fuel octane, overheating, lean air/fuel ratio, to name just a few.

Also my opinion, the head fasteners weren't originally designed to hold the kinds of pressures seen under heavy boost/nitrous use. There are studs and such to help keep the head and block together w/o a failure of the head gasket seal, but even then there are limits. Considering how much power these small import engines make under boost, I believe their durability is exceptional.

Under the extreme conditions seen when running a lot of boost or nitrous, the small amount of damage seen is almost routine, especially during the dialing in phase where the limits are being found. On the other hand, if the engine was NA I'd be very concerned about the tune because it would need to be far from ideal to see that happen unless boost/N2O was involved.

I'd be curious to know the history of it, though.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM

We've seen it mostly on high-miles smaller 4 cyls. that are "high output". A lot of those "little" engines are built to a higher level of tune than others. That's how they get enough power out of them to "satisfy" American drivers. Even with modern engine management, detonation occurs. "Inaudible" detonation is the culprit here, as one can't "hear" the pinging.

SBI and others supply "head saver" shims to raise the head and lower the compression, usually around .020" thick. This little bit makes all the difference.

BTW, we see a significant amount of this type of damage in diesel engiens, as well.

FWIW

Jim
Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

It was on a turbo charged engine.

Tags
honda, japanese engines

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.