what does a torque converter feel like when it is bad? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what does a torque converter feel like when it is bad?

Hello I have been posting on my chugging/vibration/hesitation thing for a 91 olds 88 3.8 motor for a while now......and got to wondering if it could be the torque converter........what are typicial symptoms and if so, should I replace the converter before it takes out the transmission (the car shudders when light on the gas at 40 steady speed, get off the gas and it goes away)....could be the motor too

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

This is the engine column.

could be lugging in overdrive. Does it do it in 3 rd gear? Try keeping it out of overdrive until you hit 45+.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

well I can leave it in drive and not in over drive..... it still does it just as soon as it shifts into the highest gear possable at the 35 to 42 range even keeping the selector out of overdrive
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

does it do it at slower speeds, say below 35 when it is still in 3rd? Sounds to me like you are just too low in the RPMs and the motor doesn't make enough power that low, especially in overdrive going 40....
Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

no, It does not do it below 35 and in drive......I am not using overdrive....it does not matter if the selector is in over drive or drive
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Last photo:

how could I be too low in the rpms when this is an automatic left in drive.....so am I supposed to shift this thing manually 1st 2nd, 3rd manually.......ha ha just kidding, we at gm offered this 91 olds with an automatic but dont use it, instead you must still shift it manually??
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

I know what lugging feels like, just leave the truck I have in 3rd gear and go 15 mph.......ITS NOT LUGGING............it feels like the vibration I am feeling is around the 4hz range of frequency....almost like my tires are out of round
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I had a 93 Buick with the 3.8 as well and it probably has the same transmission that Olds does. Mine did the same thing too, but it was usually closer to 60 or going up hills. It would quit when you put your foot into it and it kicked down. The minute I let off the throttle and it shifted back into OD it would start doing it again. That car always shifted into OD way too early and never stayed in lower gears climbing hills without putting your foot in the throttle. I always just dropped it down to 3rd up the longer hllls. I've always been kinda curious what caused the shuddering as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:

my guess would be it is the lockup torque converter locking too soon. A friend of mine had a pontiac with a 3.8 in it, I think his car was a 92 or so...his got progressively worse until the car actually started to die when he would slow down from like 40 to 25 or 30, and sometimes in town when he'd get going 30 it would lockup the converter and sometimes die...

He didn't know what the problem was and took it to a shop, they unplugged the wires for the lockup, and after that, the car runs fine (probably doesn't get quite as good mileage on the highway...)

Chris
Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Last journal entry: 1935 chevrolet 2 door sedan
Last photo:

I'm trying to think here so sorry if this is wrong (the other forum i go to is being updated) but if you have the 4T60 it would most likely be the lockup, but if you have the 4T60E it could also be a vacuum leak (the shift points are controlled by the vacuum or something like that, I think) I know my car has a vacuum leak at the transmission when it was doing this.

HybridSTE
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

I have the 4t60 they didnt have the 4t60e until 1992 so I am told....not computer controlled other than the lockup
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 AM

Last journal entry: 1935 chevrolet 2 door sedan
Last photo:

Maybe try a site with a little more knowledge on the setup you have (sorry, but there is no offence meant by this). www.60degreev6.com

HybridSTE
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

If it's only the torque converter that is computer controled, then unplug it! There should be a disconnect at the transmission case. If it's a beater car, leave it unplugged. Dan
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43
If it's only the torque converter that is computer controled, then unplug it! There should be a disconnect at the transmission case. If it's a beater car, leave it unplugged. Dan
leave it unplugged and ull burn up the trans... get the engine fixed... its acting up because the engine has a miss, and is really noticeable when the torque converter clutch engages..
Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridste
Maybe try a site with a little more knowledge on the setup you have (sorry, but there is no offence meant by this). www.60degreev6.com

HybridSTE
um yea........think you might want to go to that site too....since I dont have a 60 degree v6 or at least the 60 degree v6's I know of are the 2.8 3.1 maybe the 3.3 and the 3.4.....not sure about the 3.6........there is no mention of a 3.8

Last edited by fumplet; 08-25-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.