What doors fit a 39 chevy sedan delivery panel truck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What doors fit a 39 chevy sedan delivery panel truck?

I have a 1939 GMC (chevy) sedan delivery panel truck. I bought it missing the front clip and doors. So far I have figured out that the front fenders hood and grill are from a 39 car. What I don't know is what was used for the doors. Does anyone know if the are from a car or truck or if they used just there own doors and what years will interchange? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

39 chevy sedan dddddddddelivery doors

I would measure the door opening width and length, get a picture of a 39 delivery and go check it against a 39 sedan I would guess that they are the same size what you want the pictures for is to check any belt lines and see if they are the same. If your sedan DEL.has a belt line you can measure to see. I'm really not a chevy guy as far as knowing what goes on what. but that would work.

35terraplane

PS If nothing else it might get you some answers from guys that know more than me.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 AM
the ems guy

Last photo:

39 chev

a sedan delivery will have one large cargo door the panel truck will have 2 cargo doors, panel trucks are built on 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton truck chassis and will have a p/u front clip. car parts will not fit these.

if you have a sedan del, then car parts will fit and sed del only parts will come from 37/38/39, font clip will be 39 only.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM

So if it is a 39 panel truck it uses what year truck parts and are the doors then the same as on a truck, and if it is a sedan delivery would it have the same doors as a 2 door car? Is there a difference in the wheelbase of a sedan delivery and a panel truck?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
This is a general guide line there may be some specific oddities with the 39 but generally, the "Sedan Delivery" is basically a "Station wagon" without windows based on the CAR frame, body and all. If it looks like a CAR then it is a Sedan Delivery. The doors are usually the same as a Two door sedan. This goes for Fords, as well, just a Generality but it usually is right on. The late thirties brought some odd stuff with Ford in that they kept the same rear half of the sedan delivery from something like 35 all the way up to 39 but other than that the same year car in two door sedan form is going to provide all the sheet metal (outside of the very rear doors of course) to your "Sedan Delivery".

If it looks like a TRUCK front end, then it is a going to be a "Panel Delivery" or "Panel Truck" both names are often used. In this case the front sheet metal will be the same as a truck and the doors will inner-change as well with a regular old pickup cab.

Post some photos so we are all on the same page.

Brian

Sedan Delivery.

And the car it shares parts with. Only likely it wouldn't be a "Master" like this car is, it would be a "Standard" model to be exact as far as grille and chrome and stuff like that.

Panel delivery.

And the truck it shares parts with.

I have to assume the wheel base is completely different being one is on a car frame and one on the truck frame. The Panel truck could also come in a 3/4 ton and 1 ton and probably a 1 1/2 or even 2 ton, I don't know. But they made them MUCH longer with a very long body. So the panel truck and the sedan delivery are VERY different animals.

Brian
Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

39 chevy doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
This is a general guide line there may be some specific oddities with the 39 but generally, the "Sedan Delivery" is basically a "Station wagon" without windows based on the CAR frame, body and all. If it looks like a CAR then it is a Sedan Delivery. The doors are usually the same as a Two door sedan. This goes for Fords, as well, just a Generality but it usually is right on. The late thirties brought some odd stuff with Ford in that they kept the same rear half of the sedan delivery from something like 35 all the way up to 39 but other than that the same year car in two door sedan form is going to provide all the sheet metal (outside of the very rear doors of course) to your "Sedan Delivery".

If it looks like a TRUCK front end, then it is a going to be a "Panel Delivery" or "Panel Truck" both names are often used. In this case the front sheet metal will be the same as a truck and the doors will inner-change as well with a regular old pickup cab.

Post some photos so we are all on the same page.

Brian

Sedan Delivery.

And the car it shares parts with. Only likely it wouldn't be a "Master" like this car is, it would be a "Standard" model to be exact as far as grille and chrome and stuff like that.

Panel delivery.

And the truck it shares parts with.

I have to assume the wheel base is completely different being one is on a car frame and one on the truck frame. The Panel truck could also come in a 3/4 ton and 1 ton and probably a 1 1/2 or even 2 ton, I don't know. But they made them MUCH longer with a very long body. So the panel truck and the sedan delivery are VERY different animals.

Brian
Brian I'm glad I waited to reply, and let you do all the typing. I wrote my post before the way I did, as he would have found out, but more so for someone that knew more about chevy than I.

Bob
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM

I understand the differences in the body styles, but I purchashed this without any of the front sheetmetal all I have is the back section of the vehicle. If it is a truck frontend what year trucks would interchange and does it have truck doors as well. I measured the wheel base of the truck and it is about 124" so I am guessing it's a panel truck? It also has 2 doors on the rear but they are made out of wood and metal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.