Hot Rod Forum banner

What is a Duntov 50/50 cam

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Duntov 
#1 ·
Okay,old school time. What was/is a Duntov 50/50 cam? Also ,I hear some `ol gearheads talking about motors with a "full race cam" or a "3/4 race cam" Whats up?

#5 ·
the 30/30 cam was designed for the 365-375 horse 327 and also used in the 67-69 z-28 `290 horse 302 camaro
crane part #967251 . is a mechanical lifter cam with 254 duration on the int and exh @ .050 lift. gross lift .485 on int & exh and 114 degree lobe center line, and .030 vavle lash adjustment on int & exh

#6 ·
scott ticknor said:
Okay,old school time. What was/is a Duntov 50/50 cam? Also ,I hear some `ol gearheads talking about motors with a "full race cam" or a "3/4 race cam" Whats up?
The term 3/4 race cam, and full race cam comes from the days of the flat head Ford. Back then you had two choices for camshafts basically. You could get the "full race" grind which was for competition only or if you wanted to keep it streetable, you could buy the "3/4 race cam" which was more tame for high performance street use. These terms are no longer in use today due to the large amount of various cams that are available.

#7 ·
30/30

Good Answer NAIRB........... You must be about as old as I am. The two terms speaks to the aftermarket choices that were available when flat heads were still around, but the term 3/4 and full lasted well into the Seventies. Mostly you heard the term in reference to a hot rod story about someone's "Brother in Law's" car. The same guy would eventually tell you the story about ten dollar bill on the dash that no passenger ever was able to retrieve. I believed it myself well into the Sixties until I was about 14. I miss those days. Duntov

#9 ·
But, anyway...

What the heck..we can't blame Duntov for getting excited when he stumbled across a topic with this title, can we??? lol!!!
and, Duntov, that brings up a question I immediately thought of when I first saw your sceen name the other day: You aren't related, are ya??? you know.....to Zora, . . God himself to the Corvette world.

#10 ·
Not sure how to get hooked up to a current thread

HI Mike,
No, not related; but our clan subscribes to his vision and philosophy to elevate corvette with a new 4.4 bore center V8 he called the RPO which became the 265 and it's evolution. He was the first well known Hotrodder. He felt that buy building up the Vette which GM corporate was ready to discontinue the following year, that the refinements would sell full size Chevys. He believed the hotrodders, us, would make the smallblock what it quickly became, if Chevy made aftermarket performance parts available over the counter. Not sure exactly what RPO stood for but it had to do with marketing the SBC as the performance upgradable engine via over the counter at Chevy dealerships. So basically he was also the first Bowtie guy too.
He knew it would work because he's the engineer who designed and sold through his own company, the aftermarket overhead valve heads for the v8 flathead ford and then saw Ford take his idea into production, in 53 I think. That's when he wrote his letter the GM Chevy and got hired. You know the rest as well as anyone. Yeah I think he was a cool guy so I took his name online.. I feel dumb stuck in the ancient threads, but I can't seem to get hooked up to the new threads. If you have an interesting thread you are into I'd appreciate a heads up.. Thanks in advance Mike. ... Duntov
:confused: :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.