What else can be done with an internal combustion engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,124 Posts
What else can be done with an internal combustion engine?

How the Duke Engines increases the efficiency of the internal combustion engine

VERY interesting stuff!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Looks like half of a K-cycle engine patented here in Canada back in the 80's, I knew a few machinists who made parts for it. It had a few issues which were likely surmountable with more research time and money, Dr Kristianson died during development.

Heres the patent PDF, have a look.

http://members.shaw.ca/zenonp/Misc/KCycle.pdf

— Han Solo
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Brian, Yes, very cool technology. Although not exactly new, right away it made me think of these: Axial piston pump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You can google "swash plate hydraulic pumps" and see many similarities that have been carried over. In fact the wiki article reminded that AC compressors on cars work in a similar fashion. The main difference of course is that they a creating energy with this design, not using energy. Interesting to see how far this goes!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

The lack of power robbing valve train components is very nice. All the benefits of a two stroke or rotary engine without the drawbacks of apex seals or adding oil to the fuel. My concern is the longevity of the reciprocating pieces connected to the crankshaft in the rear of the block. Wonder why 5 cylinders though rather than 3? Smoothness of operation perhaps?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: Seats
Last photo:

Really cool. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Last journal entry: body work
Last photo:

get rid of camshaft, pushrods, springs, valves.

now it should rev

http://www.coatesengine.com/files/th...vs_poppet.html

/\ animation /\

Coates International Ltd. - Home
Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Koenigsegg (supercar manufacturer in Sweden - makers of the Koenigsegg one - which has one HP per pound of car!) has a design called "freevalve".

Picture a system patterned after the port injection FI system, but manages hi pressure air.

Now, replace your valve springs with compressed air springs (less mass) and then adds another system whereby compressed air opens the valves instead of a cam and lifters.

A computer-operated system injects air into "air bags" to open and close the valves.

Result: Just like fuel injection, the timing and duration as well as amount of lift are all adjusted according to demand and adjusted a zillion times per second, just as your FI system does with fuel metering.

NO CAM at all, no lifters, no valve springs and can be used in current engine designs. No more deciding what cam to buy, no compromises for torque vs top-end horsepower, virtually zero valvetrain weight and zero friction losses.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,124 Posts
Interesting Dave, yep, it ain't over yet for the internal combustion engine!

Brian
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Imagine if R&D was pumped into the gas turbine engine, where it would be today.
Here is K's latest engine with electronic valves, no cam ?
Look at How Koenigsegg's Wild Freevalve Engine Runs Without Camshafts
Old 01-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

The next trick from car manufacturers is extreme EGR flow to increase fuel economy.

i have my fireproof socks on this morning so i am ready to be flamed by members who call foul.. but this is what i know..

EGR flow reduces the percentage of oxygen in the incoming intake charge.. with the reduced percentage of oxygen less fuel is needed to create proper Oxygen / Fuel ratio.

the atmosphere contains around 21% oxygen.. the most of the rest is nitrogen.. an inert gas.. oxygen is the only oxidizer that will support combustion. nitrogen does not support combustion.. its just there..

when you step on the throttle and the vehicle starts to move.. EGR flow does not happen with Zero vehicle speed in every vehicle i have worked on.

so as one accelerates the egr valve starts opening. and the manifold vacuum starts drawing in exhaust flow. as this is a calibrated flow the computer can back off on the fuel injection pulse width to reduce the amount of fuel to equal the reduced oxygen percentage.

this is why when you have a blocked EGR or a non functioning EGR .. the engine pings...

without egr flow... when you accelerate.. the computer starts to lean out the air fuel ratio to match the reduced oxygen content.. except you still have a full 21% oxygen content.. this makes for a very lean mixture.. it makes a very fast very hot flame.

think of what happens when you turn up the oxygen on your cutting or welding torch. same effect.. melted parts..

with the engineers needing crazy increases in fuel economy.. they are heading in this direction.. increasing the EGR flow to effectively increase fuel economy..

there is another issue that is not obvious.. the change in camshaft profiles to reduce manifold vacuum. this increases the volume of air going thru the engine at lower engine speeds to keep enough exhaust flow thru the cat to keep it hot.. the air fuel ratio is also increased to add fuel to the exhaust flow to keep the cat hot and working..

i am amazed that car manufacturers have not started using the zero gap second rings to reduce blowby. but its probably still more expensive for them and every penny counts.
The Following User Says Thank You to waynep712 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-10-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob View Post
Imagine if R&D was pumped into the gas turbine engine, where it would be today.
Lots of research has gone into gas turbine engines but it is fundamentally ill suited for automotive and even low altitude aircraft use. A car spends a lot of time idling and at low power outputs which is the least efficient mode for a gas turbine since a certain amount of power is required to run the compressor to keep it moving. Some 2/3 of the power a gas turbine generates is absorbed by the compressor. Say you have a 200 hp turbine; at 60% N1 idle or whatever you're going to be sitting there and having to generate some 50+ hp (as a wild guess) just to keep the thing running. Versus the ~5 hp (also a wild guess) parasitic loss of a 4-stroke otto cycle engine at idle.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, the PW127 turboprop has (according to wikipedia) a bsfc of 3.929 lb/hp*h at idle. That's a little less than 2 hp/gallon/hour. Even at Pmax the PW127 has a bsfc of 0.48 vs an otto cycle gasoline engine sitting there at pretty much around 0.4 lb/hp*h in all phases.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...
Last photo:

Wayne, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Smokey Yunick was running quite a bit of EGR gasses back through the intake on his adiabatic engine. I've read quite a few articles on it, as well as looked at the official patent. Many people have tried to reproduce his results with minimal success. He was also running a heated intake on that engine. Very interesting.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoby View Post
Lots of research has gone into gas turbine engines but it is fundamentally ill suited for automotive and even low altitude aircraft use. A car spends a lot of time idling and at low power outputs which is the least efficient mode for a gas turbine since a certain amount of power is required to run the compressor to keep it moving. Some 2/3 of the power a gas turbine generates is absorbed by the compressor. Say you have a 200 hp turbine; at 60% N1 idle or whatever you're going to be sitting there and having to generate some 50+ hp (as a wild guess) just to keep the thing running. Versus the ~5 hp (also a wild guess) parasitic loss of a 4-stroke otto cycle engine at idle.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, the PW127 turboprop has (according to wikipedia) a bsfc of 3.929 lb/hp*h at idle. That's a little less than 2 hp/gallon/hour. Even at Pmax the PW127 has a bsfc of 0.48 vs an otto cycle gasoline engine sitting there at pretty much around 0.4 lb/hp*h in all phases.
there are/were transit buses and experimental trucks with these in them. Capstone Turbine Corporation (CPST)

about 15 years ago.. somebody built a le mans car.. used CNG.. microturbine. gimbal mounted flywheel and electric drive motors ... the microturbine fed the flywheel and some of the traction motors... regenerative braking fed the flywheel also. the flywheel turned an alternator.. so the output could be easily varied by changing the field current.. it got outlawed before the race.. i recall it may have been within 9 seconds of the fastest cars around lemans. but i could be wrong.. it was a long time ago.. worry about the flywheel coming apart and perhaps exploding the CNG tanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Wayne, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Smokey Yunick was running quite a bit of EGR gasses back through the intake on his adiabatic engine. I've read quite a few articles on it, as well as looked at the official patent. Many people have tried to reproduce his results with minimal success. He was also running a heated intake on that engine. Very interesting.

i have not had a chance to see what ford is doing with its turbo charged direct fuel injected smaller motors. i recall smokeys hot air engine.. totally turning the fuel into vapor so there was no unblended areas to wash down and hide increasing emission outputs...

i would have loved to chat with smokey.. just the wrong side of the country to do that.

i wonder what would happen with direct chamber fuel injection using crazy high pressures and LNG so the cryogenic temps are involved .. but how much would that effect combustion.. its all crazy to think about.. worst part is trying to keep a pen and a pad to write the ideas down as they come.. i tried it with my cell phone.. but it always rings as i am trying to write an important idea down and then its gone. i have about 7 pages of them in an old computer that has vanished .. i always have 2 or 3 of the same computers laying around.. the wife now exwife would move them around and change the order they were in.. i am sure that she did that and i gave a bare chassis to a friend without looking inside.. he thanked me when he got home with it.. that computer had dual DVD burners in it and 4 hard drives and as much ram a i could jam in it.. probably a decade of stored data.. all wiped by a friend.. of well.. no use crying over lost data.. that is why i stored it duplicated on 4 different hard drives.. only one with an OS.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Old & Furious

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep712 View Post
i have not had a chance to see what ford is doing with its turbo charged direct fuel injected smaller motors. i recall smokeys hot air engine.. totally turning the fuel into vapor so there was no unblended areas to wash down and hide increasing emission outputs...

i would have loved to chat with smokey.. just the wrong side of the country to do that.

i wonder what would happen with direct chamber fuel injection using crazy high pressures and LNG so the cryogenic temps are involved .. but how much would that effect combustion.. its all crazy to think about.. worst part is trying to keep a pen and a pad to write the ideas down as they come.. i tried it with my cell phone.. but it always rings as i am trying to write an important idea down and then its gone. i have about 7 pages of them in an old computer that has vanished .. i always have 2 or 3 of the same computers laying around.. the wife now exwife would move them around and change the order they were in.. i am sure that she did that and i gave a bare chassis to a friend without looking inside.. he thanked me when he got home with it.. that computer had dual DVD burners in it and 4 hard drives and as much ram a i could jam in it.. probably a decade of stored data.. all wiped by a friend.. of well.. no use crying over lost data.. that is why i stored it duplicated on 4 different hard drives.. only one with an OS.
Fuel vapor engines do indeed get much better mileage. They are great for MPG but if the smallest leak in the intake track happens the engine is a rolling bomb. So the manufactures never went with this type of engine or carb setup. Fuel vapor is much more efficient but can be extremely dangerous. so it was never made into a production vehicle. Even with extra precautions if the engine internal parts fail the gas can run out the exhaust and cause a major explosion.

Now the next major advance will be electric valves. Using electro magnets to open and close the valves at insane rates. They will also allow a computer controller to ramp up the cam as rpm increases. So a much higher rpm engine can be made with full low rpm power. these will be much stronger engines but the cost is currently to much for normal use. Indy and formula cars have all tried them and they work very well. for engines up to the limit of what the piston can take. the valve train and camshaft are no longer the limiting factor. Honda has several patents on these. This will be the end of changing cams and compression all engines will have high compression and a simple computer upgrade or reprogram will be the same as a cam swap. But current cam tech is inline with the thermal limits of most engines. Once they perfect high temp ceramics the pistons and other engine parts will be able to take advantage of much higher temps and rpm ranges.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.