Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What else needs done?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What else needs done?

Well, I have a 65 Tempest, 326, 2bbl. Changed oil, filter, tranny fluid, plugs, distrib cap, wires, set dwell, timing, added overflow reservoir to radiator, cleaned out carb, set choke, new battery and alternator.

Car starts easy, runs pretty good if not exactly strong. Have a line on a couple of carbs and a manifold, so will probably be switching to 4bbl by late spring.

What other mechanical items should I be looking at / for?
I have been thinking timing chain, but there isn't a ton of slack, and it seems to be a fair amount of work if not necessary (never done this before).
How do you know when it is time to have heads and valves re-done? I'm not looking to do much to this motor, as I feel it is too tired for much without a big rebuild (plus SBC's are so cheap), but until that time I want a reliable ride that is in good condition.
What about petronix to get rid of points and a new coil - I have seen this is more of a convenience than a real improvement over points (I'll never rev high enough for it to matter).

97K when the odo and speedo packed it in, so who knows what actual mileage is.... maybe 120K

Next major change will probably be a TH350, and maybe a floor shifter instead of the column.... front already has 2 bucket seats, so I have the room. Eventually a swap to a 350 or maybe a big block if the $$ is right.....