What engine is this? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What engine is this?

I'm looking at buying this 1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside

It's supposed to be a 327 with a four speed.

Oil filler up front is something I've never seen before but I've also not seen too many SB Chevy's in stock form of this generation.

Also the location of the alternator surprises me. It's supposed to be the origional engine. Is that possible?

Also here's a pic of the truck, it's in great physical shape, paint is dull but it's been indoors for over 20 years. Obviously the old Honda scooters aren't part of the deal and it's on jack stands up front...

What's it very roughly worth..(assuming it's a 327 w/ 4spd and keeping in mind it's straight and rust and rot free)

I also saw it has 8 lug rear axles?

Thanks,

Advertisement

Last edited by DQ81; 05-17-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

No pics yet.

Cole
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Hosting seems to be down let me try again...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Your pictures never made it, but yes that front oil filler tube was typical of the SBC up until about 1968 - 70.

Most 265, 283, (307?) and 327's came that way.
In fact, I think most of the aftermarket intake manifolds still have a hole in that location, in which you have to install a cup-type expansion plug.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81
I'm looking at buying this 1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside

It's supposed to be a 327 with a four speed.

Oil filler up front is something I've never seen before but I've also not seen too many SB Chevy's in stock form of this generation.

Also the location of the alternator surprises me. It's supposed to be the origional engine. Is that possible?

Also here's a pic of the truck, it's in great physical shape, paint is dull but it's been indoors for over 20 years.

What's it very roughly worth..(assuming it's a 327 w/ 4spd and keeping in mind it's straight and rust and rot free)

I also saw it has 8 lug rear axles?

Thanks,
A 58 with a 327 would not be original, 283 or a W block 348 of which I'm not positive if they went into pickups that year.

The 283 and 327 look alike from the outside.

Alternator? In 1958 that was still in the future, like the 327. My God the 6 to 12 volt switch was only 2 years old in 58.

Bogie
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
A 58 with a 327 would not be original, 283 or a W block 348 of which I'm not positive if they went into pickups that year.

The 283 and 327 look alike from the outside.

Alternator? In 1958 that was still in the future, like the 327. My God the 6 to 12 volt switch was only 2 years old in 58.

Bogie
Lol, alright generator. Pictrues should work now, usual hosting site seems to be having trouble...

So it seems like it's gonna be a 327, I'm assuming the engine casting number is on the drivers side rear of the engine most likely?

What kind of power potential does it have? 4bbl, large truck cam, stock heads and dual exhaust?

Is it as easy as somewhere inbetween a 305 and 350? Or is the 327 the 340 of the Chevy world?

What about the 283 or a W block 348? Either of these to be avoided? Other than the 283 for it's size..(283 uses same block as 327/305 and 350 right?)

I got the basic info on both motors online, seems like the 348 would be a pain to bet parts for...

I'm just trying to get my bearings on this truck and what I wanna pay for it max.

I tend to buy cars and own too many, which in itself isn't a problem, they just never get done!

Just picked up a 66 Volvo amazone that's getting an SBC in it....maybe this Apache motor would make a good donor and then I could squeeze a 454 in there....

See how I get ahead of myself? lol

Last edited by DQ81; 05-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81
Lol, alright generator. Pictrues should work now, usual hosting site seems to be having trouble...

So it seems like it's gonna be a 327, I'm assuming the engine casting number is on the drivers side rear of the engine most likely?

What kind of power potential does it have? 4bbl, large truck cam, stock heads and dual exhaust?

Is it as easy as somewhere inbetween a 305 and 350? Or is the 327 the 340 of the Chevy world?

What about the 283 or a W block 348? Either of these to be avoided? Other than the 283 for it's size..(283 uses same block as 327/305 and 350 right?)

I'm just trying to get my bearings on this truck and what I wanna pay for it max.

I tend to buy cars and own too many, which in itself isn't a problem, they just never get done!

Just picked up a 66 Volvo amazone that's getting an SBC in it....maybe this Apache motor would make a good donor and then I could squeeze a 454 in there....

See how I get ahead of myself? lol
Your pictures finally came thru, that's a small block of which the 327 is one of many combos. Apparently your not a Chevy guy, otherwise you'd know the 327 is the Touch Stone of performance motors, still highly respected. But as I said earlier it can't be the original motor if it is a 327 as they didn't go to production until 1962. The only small block in 1958 pickups was the 283. From the outside you can't tell them apart. The casting numbers are in the usual places on the back of the block, left side on the top of bell housing mounting boss.

The carb is Rochester 2G, the snippet of what you called an alternator looks like a DC generator to me which along with a short water pump these would be appropriate for either a 58 or 62 engine.

Bogie
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Your pictures finally came thru, that's a small block of which the 327 is one of many combos. Apparently your not a Chevy guy, otherwise you'd know the 327 is the Touch Stone of performance motors, still highly respected. But as I said earlier it can't be the original motor if it is a 327 as they didn't go to production until 1962. The only small block in 1958 pickups was the 283. From the outside you can't tell them apart. The casting numbers are in the usual places on the back of the block, left side on the top of bell housing mounting boss.

The carb is Rochester 2G, the snippet of what you called an alternator looks like a DC generator to me which along with a short water pump these would be appropriate for either a 58 or 62 engine.

Bogie
Well I'm not much of a chevy guy although I'm eagerly learning. I sold my Mopar a few months back and now have 3 70's GM trucks although 2 are for sale...

I keep coming across more and more GM, although I really will work on just about anything and have the most experience with VW's air and watercooled but in the past few years a lot of Mopar and the past year or so even more GM, lot's of 350's, th350's, th400's and 700r4's have been under the knife...

An SBC is just a good motor and compact, that's why I'm going to put one in a Volvo 121 Amazon station wagon for kicks.

I'm glad to learn more and more...

So maybe the Chevy guys won't like the comparison but sounds like the 327 is comparable to the Mopar 340 in that it was a shorter lived than the two more popular engines in the long run smaller and larger than it, but the better performance motor none the less...

So now the question is, what's this truck worth and what's the motor code...

Most important what's this thing worth very roughly?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Does he have a price on it, or did you offer anything yet?
The scooters on the back makes it interesting...even if it's not a part of the deal .
Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1supersport
Does he have a price on it, or did you offer anything yet?
The Gizmo's on the back makes it tempting . (not sure if they're really Gizmo's, but they look old enough to be...)
There all Honda's, fun toys, but not included in the deal.

I offered him 4k euro's which is about 5500 USD as these things are even more scarce over here than they are the US obviously...

He ain't taken that but's gonna think about it.

The way I figure it it's been sitting for 20+ years and he's sure as sh$t not gonna do anything with it, why not take the cash, make the space and be done with it.

He's a real nice guy just has a lot of space and has the "I don't care if it sits there another 20 years, I want what I want for it..." attitude, but he's still thinkin' on a price.

I've looked around some on Craigslist etc. and I have to add about 2500 USD shipping to get one over here so my offer seemed fair.

I've seen em' ranging from 2k to 15k USD.

Again what would you pay? What seems reasonable in USD (include where you live as some area's tend to be more expensive/cheaper than others)

Thanks,
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

If he won't take $5500, he can keep it...that's just my opinion.
Your $2500 shipping will put you $8000 in the hole BEFORE you even put a wrench on it. I'd pass. That guy would be sorry if he doesn't take the $5500.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

5500 bucks would buy 2 of 'em here in Phoenix, rust-free.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1supersport
If he won't take $5500, he can keep it...that's just my opinion.
Your $2500 shipping will put you $8000 in the hole BEFORE you even put a wrench on it. I'd pass. That guy would be sorry if he doesn't take the $5500.
No it's over here already so that's without shipping...it's just down the road from me... I was thinking, relativly speaking, for over here 5500 is a good price.

But I'm also hunting for a 2 door coupe, and well, if I can pick up a truck (no pun intended) for 2500 that gives me a lot more cash for a 51 Super or something like that...

It's good to know there around the 2500 mark in a dry state like Arizona though...

where I'm a lookin' to find these trucks you speak of other than Craigslist?

I've been lookin' in Cali so far, just for shipping reasons and I have friends who can go look for me but all I can find is crap like this:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1721058038.html

that's a lot of cash for not so much car...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
5500 bucks would buy 2 of 'em here in Phoenix, rust-free.
I don't know, I guess I'm looking in the wrong place....

On craigslist all I can find are PROJECTS for 3 grand or more...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1743886729.html

Or how about this one for 10 grand a project truck!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1724632627.html
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Yeah, I guess it would be more difficult for someone who doesn't live in the area. I've been here since 1973 and have hundreds of buddies I can call and put out the word that I'm looking for this or that. Somebody usually has one of whatever it is squirreled away somewhere.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.