What exactly is a line lock? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 12:29 PM

Last photo:
Location: Justice, Illinois (bred, born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky)
Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Uuuh, got it backwards

Quote:
Originally posted by Kustomizer
Line locks kind-of do the opposite to what everyone has said...

You use your brakes like normal at all times. But, when you want to do a launch and keep from rolling, with your foot already PRESSING the brakes, you hold the line-lock button. This locks the pressurized fluid (from your foot-pressure) already holding the calipers into your rotors from returning to your master cylinder. Then, when you release the push-button (which is supplying 12V to the solenoid that is CLOSED (hydraulically), the solenoid allows the pressurized hydraulic fluid to return from your calipers to your master cylinder.

-Kustomizer
Kustomizer - Excellent explanation! That is just how a line lock works. Mine works just like you described!

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 08:11 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

darn it, no one anwerd my question
"i dont know if this would work or not but would it work the same if you had one of those proportioning valves on your brakes and just have all the fluid go to the front??? or would that cause problems"
Old 09-07-2004, 05:47 AM
'Stock' is just wrong!

Last photo:

Yes

Yes, it would work with a proportioning valve, since as far as your brakes are concerned, there's nothing different with the line-lock off. Additionally, proportioning valves are for front-to-rear setup (and usually you've got a master cylinder with both ports).

With the line-lock off, your brakes work like normal. When you press your foot on the brake pedal, high-pressure fluid (at different pressures because of your proportioning valve) travels to front and rear brakes. When you engage the line-lock (under pedal pressure), the fluid in the fronts isn't allowed to return to the master cylinder, but the rear is. The rear is usually where the proportioning goes anyway... but even if it wasn't, proportioning valves are a 1-way type of valve, restricting flow TO the brakes, not returning to the MC.

As far as your master cylinder, proportioning valve, and rear brakes, they all follow your pedal. Only the last foot of brake-line to your front brakes is affected by this solenoid.

-Kustomizer
Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I have a device on my truck that uses only line pressure to hold,no solinoid.You step on the brake and push in the button then release the brake and the front brakes remain locked,rev to optimum RPM and release clutch,with rear tires roasting ,tap brake pedal and it releases. Cool accessory. Says Jomar on it.Got it out of J.C.Whitney 15 years ago.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Re: Uuuh, got it backwards

Quote:
Line locks kind-of do the opposite to what everyone has said...

You use your brakes like normal at all times. But, when you want to do a launch and keep from rolling, with your foot already PRESSING the brakes, you hold the line-lock button. This locks the pressurized fluid (from your foot-pressure) already holding the calipers into your rotors from returning to your master cylinder. Then, when you release the push-button (which is supplying 12V to the solenoid that is CLOSED (hydraulically), the solenoid allows the pressurized hydraulic fluid to return from your calipers to your master cylinder.

-Kustomizer
Kustomizer: You are exactly correct in your explanation of what a line lock does and how it performs. And, your explanation is simple enough so that others can understand it. My line lock works exactly as you've described. I used to foot pedal coming off the line. Now I use my trans lock. Great job on your explanation!
Old 10-05-2004, 01:44 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Oh no she's back.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Oh no she's back.
Ghetto, Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to be back, but I never left.

I had a race car to build and finish. Then I had to shake MAX down and get some test/tune runs on him. I still have some more shake down runs to do yet. So, in other words, I had other things to do.

And, I wanted to check out this line lock thread as I've got a new LL on MAX -- my '71 Duster that you are very familiar with. Helpful tips and information are always nice.

And I've found that Kustomizer always lends a helpful hand and always provides excellent information. So, if I see a post by Kustomizer, I certainly take a look at it.

Last edited by babe_n_indy; 10-05-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:04 PM
'Stock' is just wrong!

Last photo:

Awww

You make me blush. I'm not right all the time, I've just probably made more mistakes than everyone else

Cya guys-

Kustomizer
Old 10-06-2004, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Re: Awww

Quote:
You make me blush. I'm not right all the time, I've just probably made more mistakes than everyone else

Cya guys-

Kustomizer
Naaaa, we've all made mistakes and we've, hopefully, learned lessons from our mistakes. But it's true, you have a great deal of knowledge and a wealth of information and I appreciate your sharing it! And, no need to blush. You're a great guy that just happens to possess a brillant mind!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

Re: Yes

Quote:
Yes, it would work with a proportioning valve, since as far as your brakes are concerned, there's nothing different with the line-lock off. Additionally, proportioning valves are for front-to-rear setup (and usually you've got a master cylinder with both ports).

With the line-lock off, your brakes work like normal. When you press your foot on the brake pedal, high-pressure fluid (at different pressures because of your proportioning valve) travels to front and rear brakes. When you engage the line-lock (under pedal pressure), the fluid in the fronts isn't allowed to return to the master cylinder, but the rear is. The rear is usually where the proportioning goes anyway... but even if it wasn't, proportioning valves are a 1-way type of valve, restricting flow TO the brakes, not returning to the MC.

As far as your master cylinder, proportioning valve, and rear brakes, they all follow your pedal. Only the last foot of brake-line to your front brakes is affected by this solenoid.

-Kustomizer

Question??? Does a proportioning valve lower the pressure to the rear brakes or does it just change the rate the pressure is built up to the rear brakes. I have herd both answers Ed ke6bnl
Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 PM
'Stock' is just wrong!

Last photo:

Both?

I've heard both, too, and I think it's because both types exist. I've seen proportioning-valves that have spring-regulators in them, and I've seen "valves" that were nothing more than fixed-orfices. Personally, I'd opt for a true spring-type regulator.

The question you ask is the same question everyone asks about paint guns... are you better-off with a regulator right on the gun or with an adjustable flow valve on it? I always opt for a regulator, because you always get the same pressure (as opposed to a flow-valve that is always a percentage-drop).

Cya!

-Kustomizer
Old 10-06-2004, 06:31 PM

im still confused about the ''1970 Chevelle FWD?''
Old 10-06-2004, 06:53 PM
'Stock' is just wrong!

Last photo:

FWD!

Ha! I'll bet it had good traction with the weight over the wheels! Look pretty silly doin' burnouts though! Nice fat tires up front, doing backwards donuts, now THAT's the kind of Chevelle I wanna see!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I installed a 1966 front sub frame and transaxle form a Toronado.

I adapted a small block chevy motor to it.

Added a 6-71 blower.

THe car was a hand full to drive under hard throttle. Lots of torque steer and the car tended to follow the road as the front tires smoked.

The car appeared in various magizines of the day. In a video on Super Chevy, in a TV show pilot ( it flopped) as back ground filler in a parking lot
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 AM
'Stock' is just wrong!

Last photo:

Sweeeet!

The makings of the first Seville STS! Sweeeet!
Closed Thread

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.