What exactly is a line lock? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 09:48 AM
friends dont let friends drive

Wiki Edits: 0

Line Lock

Where can i buy an electirc seloind to make a line lock on my El Camino

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Last photo:
Location: Justice, Illinois (bred, born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky)

Jegs or Summit have the solenoids for you. They have line lock solenoids. They have the whole works!

Here's one link for Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...cgrfnbr=148603

And, here is a link for Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...&Ntt=Line+Lock

Hope this helps.

Last edited by babe_n_indy; 01-22-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM
friends dont let friends drive

What excactly is a line lock?

Thanks that helps alot pretty soon ill be roasting my tires till they pop
Old 01-22-2005, 03:31 PM

Last journal entry: 50 chev p/u project
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
Just what I was thinking......front wheel drive or four wheel drive? Either way it makes no sense.

Mike

I saw that too, no such animal
Old 01-22-2005, 04:06 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

line lock

Line lock is not used to launch the car. It is so you can do a brake stand without hurting the rear brakes. A tranny brake is used for launching the car. Line lock will not release as fast as you can foot brake the car. It will actually reduce your ET on the track.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally posted by just another car guy

I saw that too, no such animal
I take that to mean that I lied about building a FWD 1970 Chevelle?
Old 01-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: 50 chev p/u project
Last photo:

I guess I didn't pay good enough attention enough to the post, i thought someone was saying they had one stock
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Just thought i'd mention that we often put the line lock on the brake line from the mastercylinder heading to the rear brakes thus when you push the button in (and hold it in) whilst not depressing the brake pedal; the solenoid closes off the pipe to the rear brakes, so when you do depress the brake pedal no fluid goes to the rear brakes and thus you can accelerate and smoke the tyres, this is good for showing off and also for racing when you want to heat the rear tyres (burnout) but not wear out the rear brakes, it also means that you can drive forward slowly using your footbrake whilst smoking the tyres. When staging for a race i just use the footbrake for the launch control which clamps all the wheels as you load up the engine; when using the line lock as a launch control for racing it is too easy to start to rotate the rear tyres if the front brakes are locked and you accelerate a bit too hard, and also you can push your front wheels through the start beam and red light, so a trans brake is a better option.However some people use the line lock as a launch control and have good results.My solenoid is a Summit and i installed it backwards on the rear brake pipe; this is quite common amongst a lot of rodders i know.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ed
Just thought i'd mention that we often put the line lock on the brake line from the mastercylinder heading to the rear brakes thus when you push the button in (and hold it in) whilst not depressing the brake pedal; the solenoid closes off the pipe to the rear brakes, so when you do depress the brake pedal no fluid goes to the rear brakes and thus you can accelerate and smoke the tyres, this is good for showing off and also for racing when you want to heat the rear tyres (burnout) but not wear out the rear brakes, it also means that you can drive forward slowly using your footbrake whilst smoking the tyres.
I'm happy one people talk about it. Why don't put line lock on the rear brake I think it's the better way to have the best control. Expecialy for slowly go forward and still burns the tire Just don't know why nobody talk about locking the rear line when talking about line lock.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

Line Lock

When they first came out, manual trans cars were the thing to drag race. Three pedals, two feet. You do the math. If the track was not perfectly flat or if the clutch had any drag at all, you would roll out of the beam and red light. A "line lock" locked you on the line (also sometimes called a "Roll Control"). With one, you could have your left foot on the clutch and your right foot could have the engine in the trees and you didn't have to worry much about an accidental red eye. Some drivers realized additional benefits. You could lightly pre-load the clutch to take some of the slack out of the drive train to prevent breakage. I remember reading that Bob Glidden used a pressure gauge on the front brake line so he could pre-set the pressure at a known value which would prevent the car from rolling but would allow rolling as the clutch engaged so he could control the roll into the beams for staging deep or shallow. As the performance abilities of automatics improved, and when tranny brakes appeared, the line lock was relegated to a burnout device for most people.
Closed Thread

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.