Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   What exactly is a line lock? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-exactly-line-lock-41283.html)

frankenvette 06-10-2004 08:53 PM

What exactly is a line lock?

O.K., what is a line lock, what does it do, and how is it used?

poncho62 06-10-2004 08:55 PM

Line lock is a solenoid that actually locks the front brakes, so that you can do a brake stand and warm up the rear tires. As long as you hold the little button, the front brakes will stay on.

It's also used to prevent the car from taking off of the starting line too soon and can be used as a hill brake.

frankenvette 06-10-2004 08:57 PM

So you hold the button in to set the brakes, when you release the button, you release the brakes, that's it? Seems easy enough!

Crosley 06-10-2004 09:29 PM

Odd,

I used a line lock on the rear brakes of my 1970 Chevelle. But then it was a FWD car

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62
Line lock is a solenoid that actually locks the front brakes, so that you can do a brake stand and warm up the rear tires. As long as you hold the little button, the front brakes will stay on.

It's also used to prevent the car from taking off of the starting line too soon and can be used as a hill brake.

poncho62 06-11-2004 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crosley
Odd,

I used a line lock on the rear brakes of my 1970 Chevelle. But then it was a FWD car

Sure you didn't have it in reverse?

302 Z28 06-11-2004 05:58 AM

You stage, lock the brakes with your pedal, press the button which activates a solenoid which prevents the hydraulic fluid from returning from your front brakes. Release the brake pedal and hold the button down. You can then preload the clutch/transmission (if a standard). The button is released at the appropriate time you launch the vehicle.

Vince

frankenvette 06-11-2004 07:09 AM

302/Z28, makes a bunch of sense, thank you!

crayonbrown 08-28-2004 07:11 PM

line lock

I had a line lock hanging on the wall for awhile , thought what the hell ill put it my Nova. Ok here is the prob, i have no instructions so i thought how hard can it be inline out line . After hooking it up i get in push the brake down and the front brakes are locked you say it works not so now to unlock it i need to push the button , its unlocks the car takes off and i step on the brake to stop and it locks back, so now i need to push the button again to go . Whats up with this i tried turning it around and hooking the lines the other way and it dons't work at all. Any help here . Also i tried to change the wires neg pos still works the same. Thanks

frankenvette 08-28-2004 07:21 PM

crayonbrown, take a look at this link:

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/49619/

crayonbrown 08-29-2004 04:26 AM

line lock

Thanks .it would seam that there is something wrong with my LC because with no 12 volt hooked to it its locked . Its time to buy a new one or forget the idea of having one. thanks for the info jsdailey

53LEDSLED 09-01-2004 09:41 PM

i dont know if this would work or not but would it work the same if you had one of those proportioning valves on your brakes and just have all the fluid go to the front??? or would that cause problems

Ed ke6bnl 09-02-2004 05:30 AM

Re: line lock

Quote:

Originally posted by crayonbrown
Thanks .it would seam that there is something wrong with my LC because with no 12 volt hooked to it its locked . Its time to buy a new one or forget the idea of having one. thanks for the info jsdailey
I have never installed one but would be curious if the line like valve is directional and the the pressure is holding it closed maybe the ins and outs need reversing worth a try. Ed ke6bnl

Canadian Charlie 09-03-2004 02:41 PM

1970 Chevelle FWD?

Nightfire 09-03-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Canadian Charlie
1970 Chevelle FWD?
Just what I was thinking......front wheel drive or four wheel drive? Either way it makes no sense.

Mike

Kustomizer 09-04-2004 06:51 PM

Uuuh, got it backwards

Line locks kind-of do the opposite to what everyone has said...

You use your brakes like normal at all times. But, when you want to do a launch and keep from rolling, with your foot already PRESSING the brakes, you hold the line-lock button. This locks the pressurized fluid (from your foot-pressure) already holding the calipers into your rotors from returning to your master cylinder. Then, when you release the push-button (which is supplying 12V to the solenoid that is CLOSED (hydraulically), the solenoid allows the pressurized hydraulic fluid to return from your calipers to your master cylinder.

-Kustomizer