What Filler Should I Use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What Filler Should I Use

I Plan On Painting My Car With Acrylic Lacquer To Get The Old School Look.my Question Is Alot Of Spot Putties Are Made With Polyester, Is This Compatible With Lacquer Paint. Any Suggestions Are Welcome. Thank You!! Markl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Yes, you can use polyester fillers and primers under acrylic lacquer. It would be a good idea to use a 2K sealer or urethane primer instead of applying lacquer directly to the polyester. It should state this in the product info sheets.

You might want to consider a single stage urethane instead of the acrylic lacquer. The final job will look close to a lacquer job but be much more durable.
I just did this on my totally original '69 Corvette.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

I don't think many places sell acrylic lacquer auto paint. Kinda phazed out due to environmental regulations.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm curious to know more about how you made your decision to use lacquer, and what the intended use of the vehicle will be. Also, I agree that polyester putties can and should be used, as well as 2K primers, no matter what the topcoat will be.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks roger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Yes, you can use polyester fillers and primers under acrylic lacquer. It would be a good idea to use a 2K sealer or urethane primer instead of applying lacquer directly to the polyester. It should state this in the product info sheets.

You might want to consider a single stage urethane instead of the acrylic lacquer. The final job will look close to a lacquer job but be much more durable.
I just did this on my totally original '69 Corvette.
Thank you for your reply.I'm not very experienced with painting.You mentioned using single stage urethane, I was wondering how it is to spray, and how forgiving it is to mistakes. Thanks again Markl
Old 11-06-2005, 02:18 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl
Thank you for your reply.I'm not very experienced with painting.You mentioned using single stage urethane, I was wondering how it is to spray, and how forgiving it is to mistakes. Thanks again Markl
If you are going to color sand/buff the ss, it's just the same as being forgiving as lacquer.

I did just convert to using a gravity gun for the first time on my present project and once I got used to it, the ss was easy to spray. I did use extra reducer to get it to lay better on this job using the PPG Global DG. A practice panel is a good thing to do trials on.

Directions for the ss called for 2-3 coats. IMO, it's a good idea to go with another coat or 2 to leave room for color sanding. Especially if you are going to color sand all the texture out. Some would only color sand lightly to remove any dust nibs then buff, probably don't need an extra coat if that's what you are going to do.

Keep in mind, I am talking about non-metallics. I understand that metallic ss doesn't color sand well. Shot it once, but didn't color sand it at all.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.