Hot Rod Forum banner

what first? advance curve or carb tuning?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtydave 
#1 ·
I've spent hours reading through these posts about timing and carb tuning but i haven't been able to find an answer to my question. So here it goes:

I understand that it is a trial and error process to tune your advance curve for optimum performance. I also know that there is more trial and error tuning involved with correctly calibrating your carb. My question is which should I tackle first. I would say the timing since jet changes, pump shot mods, power valve swaps and other carb tuning probably won't give you accurate readings or results if the timing isn't on. But I can see how the timing and carb adjustments can overlap each other. I mean how can you properly tune your advance curve if the engine won't idle due to the need of carb modifications.

This is the problem I am probably going to face when I drop in my newly built 383. The cam has 244 int. 252 exh. dur @ .050" on a 106 lobe separation angle. I foresee some idling trouble right off the bat and was just wondering where i should attack first.

Is it a back and forth battle between carb tuning and advance curve fiddling until you have both on the money. Or do any of you have advise as to what order these should be done?

Thanks,
d

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.