What Was The First Car You Owned That Inspired You In This Hobby - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Was The First Car You Owned That Inspired You In This Hobby

My first was a 68 coronet that i bought when i was 17 it had a 440 in it when i bought it that no less than 15 miles from were i bought it seized it self on the highway going home. seems that someone broke the sending units off the engine when we tore it down the pan was full of old valve seals which blocked the oil pickup sceen. undeterred I removed the 383 from my 67 polara and dropped it in the dodge drove it that way for about a year while the new engine was being built.

it was a motor base on a 70 440 block .040 over 10.5-1 6pack rods shot peened and magna fluxed ,ported 452 heads over sized valves 2.14/1.81
heads milled and block decked it had 11-1 comp had a 292/292 .509/.509 lift 110sep cam , TM7 manifold with a holley 800cfm choke-less vac secondary

stock converter 727 Tflite manual valve body and 3.91 gears.

a few yrs latter the car got a 8 point roll bar a spring relocation kit and 4.57 and new paint intended to go racing had kid s on the way had to store it at my parents which i already had a duster in thier garage and a boat in thier drive way.

well i had it in thier drive way it was registered it had new paint and was covered

well the neighbor started harassing my parents they kept calling me to have me move it but i was in a bad marriage and had 5 little ones and could not find the time.

one day i was driving by my moms house and i noticed something was wrong there was something missing my car was gone ***! I called my mother and they gave it to a junk yard well at least my dad pulled my gear and motor the rest went with the car which apparently the guys who came to take it away were arguing over who was keeping it that day they also took my brothers 67 dodge dart.

That car i have always had a place for in my mind . Its special to me because it was the first muscle car i ever own and i learned so much from having it. someday i would like to build another one.

here is some pic. in the rough ones i was 18 and was mostly concerned with the go and did not care how it looked.
the others were while i was painting it wish i had more pics but didn't plan on loosing that car.

p.s. if you look close you will see the tail of a 57 chevy wich had been stored for over 25 yrs in that garage it had no rot the owner sold it for $5000 when he lost the house to forclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home 032.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	25399   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 031.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	25400   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 033.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	25401   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 034.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	25402  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Last journal entry: old setup pic-
Last photo:

Well it was the first car I owned and it inspired me, but not the way you might think. I purchased my Mom's '68 Buick Special. It has a 350 2barrel. It got out of it's own way, but was no muscle car. Once I was merging onto a freeway when these two guys in an AMX, on this same on-ramp behind me, pull up to my rear bumper. I floored it thinking... well I don't know what I was thinking. They punched it and drove around me laughing. Ever since then I've always owned cars with some muscle.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 AM

Starters

I always liked cuttlas's an my first was a 77 or a 76, and burned up a few motors starting out then a few more (learning) by then i was more into chevys by then 10 yrs ago a friend totaled my GMC and he had a 70 chevelle, an no money,so i gave 1500, and ive worked all my other projects but it till about 2 yrs ago. I'll have some pics soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It wasn't any car I owned, it was cars I wanted to own that inspired me. I spent hours reading Hot Rod magazine and dreaming of a 70-1/2 Camaro Z/28 split bumper. I had all the parts from the JC Whitney catalog lined out in a shopping list.

My first road legal car was a 73 Mecury Capri. I painted and detailed the engine and put a Thrush glass pack and had a chome air cleaner on it. All before I was old enough to drive.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Mine was a '72 Buick Skylark -- 4 door in Olive green ! I got it for 400 bucks back in '89 . It had a Buick wide block 350 and w/ a Q-jet 4bbl and was still 100% stock . I left many a mustang in my rear-view mirror leaving red lights . That thing would stay in first gear until 55-60 mph and would get there QUICK ! my brother couldn't beleive it till he borrowed it one night to go to the store . I told him ,"be careful leaving stop signs/redlights " as it would break traction at the mere thought of pressing the gas pedal. well, he came home to tell me" you need wider tires" which started the whole restoration process.
I'll post pics when I get home today .

Great thread. I'm not even awake yet , and I'm already nostalgic.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:34 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I got my first car for $50.00 when I was 14. It was a 1962 chevy impala 4dr with 90,000 miles,283 2bbl auto .I had alot of fun in this car especially in the back seat.I hsd to do some minor repairs,brakes u joints tune up ETC.I coulld'nt put it on the road till I was 15 so I had 6 months to get it ready.I was lucky to have an old mechanic shop 2 miles from home,so I would ride my bike there and tell him my problem and he would tell me what to do.So back and forth until I got it ready.Then fun,fun,fun.From then on I was hooked.My second was a 1960 2dr brookwood station wagon 6cyl 3 on the tree jacked up in the rear to clear L60-15 tires on 69 chevelle wheels.Then my first real hot rod that I built from the ground up,1955 chevy 2dr hardtop sport coupe belair With 283 3 deuces hot cam 4 speed 4.11 posi ladder bars and cragar SS with bigs and littles and a homemade all steel tilt front,man what a ride.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

1966 volkswagon beetle
no second gear (got it for free)
fixed it and since then it had the best reliability of all the cars i owned.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

for me it was a 56 Chevy with a Pontiac power plant, it's name was "The Halfbreed", that was 65. And if you will remember that was GTO days so 389 3x2 was a fairly nice set up to go midnight drag racing, second car was a 31 ford coupe with a short wheel base, it matched front and rear axle centers of the VW, was a hemi firepower power motor (early 318 I think), it was even in a move called "The Birds Do it" staring Soupy Sales, sold that went into the Navy, only to loose a war run by the politicians...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'm like Arrowhead. I was inspired in this hobby by other people's cars long before I could even drive one. But as soon as I could I started down the road to hot rod hel1 with these:

My first street legal vehicle, a Jawa 125 - "customized" with JC Whitney decal type pin stripes. I was 13 in this shot.

At 15 I moved up to a real car, a 55 Plymouth V8 with auto. Highly "customized" (in my mind at least) with a bright red paint job, red rims, and wide whites. This picture is from 1960 - you can just barely make out the eagle beak hair cut.

This was the one that really got me hooked on building my own hot rods. Got it when I was 16 and it STILL might be my favorite. 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 with 312 Thunderbird and auto. Had it painted Honduras Maroon, rolled and pleated upholstery, chopped the front coils, put in a tube grill, and had the greatest set of Hollywood mufflers me ears have ever heard. (Sorry for the lack of color photos...this was still the dark ages of photography.)

And this was the first racing beast I built which inspired me later to go into drag racing altereds after I got out of college. It's a 1952 Ford with a 331 Hemi. Pretty crude by todays standards with the hand lettering and spray can paint, but at the time (1963) it was considered a pretty healthy street machine. This is a rare shot with the hood on. Normally I ran it on the street with no hood - to let 'em see the Hemi.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe 4dr.. I had seen the car sitting beside the road with a for sale sign in the window for about 4 years, always told myself and my mom, I was going to restore that car. she never beleived me. then just b4 I turned 16, I handed over $800 and had it hauled home, a week later I had it running. I'v been working on it ever since. Factory 235/ Powerglide, actully rare in a Fleetline.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	25411  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

My cousin is the guy who built the "Chevado" Wheelstander (Gary Kleckner)-I remember as a small kid riding in his '54 Chevy street car (the car before Chevado), and how cool it was (I still have an original wheelstand Photo-a glossy from Hot Rod Magazine, still in the Hot Rod envelope) of the first magazine shoot of Chevado-

I was also inspired by a friend of my older Brother-he had a '55 Chevy that was named "Fat Chance"-it had a 283 bored to a 292 and a lumpy cam(sounded cool!) with a 4 speed-for the day it was pretty fast-that inspired me to get my first Car-a '55 Chevy two door sedan, followed by a '57 two door sedan-wish I still had 'em!

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 11-09-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

My First car. 1968 Firebird
Circa 1976 and today. Same car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oldbird 002.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	25412   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0613.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	25413  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Mikey's Speed Shop!

Last photo:

I went to the used car lot one day just after I turned 16 to see what they had. I was bored of my 76 F250 with a 390 big block 4x4, and I wanted a hot rod. they had a 89 Gt mustang with the 5.0 in it, 5 speed, and it had the whole GT40 engine in it from the 93 Cobra. I took it for a spin and it was the most fun I ever had. The dealer was so busy he just handed the keys to me and told me "let er rip, kid". Mom and dad wouldnt cosign for me, so i had to let it slip through my fingers. that thing would light em up in second when you dropped the hammer. I still have a soft spot for a FOX mustang, Maroon with metal flake, Cobra R rims and decent exhaust.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
My first car was the truck that I still own. Got it in 73 when I was 15, this picture is the first day (or so) that I drove it to school in 77. I can't wait to get it back on the road in a similar fashion with the straight six, a three speed and no power anything!

Brian

Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My first car had no influence on where I am now, but it was a first step in learning how to work on cars. I got her in '79. It was a '73 Pontiac Lemans. 2 DR, 350 with the 2 bbl., nothing special except that I got it from the proverbial "little old lady". Her son was selling it because she was too old to drive. Low miles and very well maintained, mint condition. It was dark green with a white interior. I added 5 spoke cragers and dualed it out and cruised it till I got a '66 Mustang. That old Pontiac wasn't fast, but it seated 6 and was a nice cruiser.

Last edited by tfeverfred; 11-09-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.