what to flush engine with - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what to flush engine with

i have 331 sbf that i just put together(has about 200 miles). i had a rear main seal leaking.pulled trans and dropped the oil pan. did not remove it. while it was down i felt in and there was some metal in the pan not thinking and i put it back on with out wiping it out. i had removed the rear main cap when i change the seal and it looked good. i think the metal is just from the break in. i put new fel pro seal and oil pan gasket in. i put a thin coat of silicone on the gasket and did not want to take it back off. just wondering if there was something i could pour in and drain. or should i go get a new gasket and drop the pan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Flushing an engine for any reason is wrong. It munches on bearing surfaces and basically any moving part.If you have metal in the pan you better try and Identify it POSITIVELY as it doesnt sound good to me.Metal that is a result of break in process is not generally noticable to feel. Flushing an engine usually make leaks worse anyhow.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

this was real fine. i should have said that i saw it on my fingers.how ever i am going to pull the pan and check it out.then i can have a better look.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Flushing an engine for any reason is wrong. It munches on bearing surfaces and basically any moving part.If you have metal in the pan you better try and Identify it POSITIVELY as it doesnt sound good to me.Metal that is a result of break in process is not generally noticable to feel. Flushing an engine usually make leaks worse anyhow.
I agree that I would not flush this engine , but , and I hesitate to say this , I had a '87 Dakota years ago with the 3.9 v/6 that I flushed and immediately had an increase in oil pressure and ran better . Probably had a gummed up oil pump relief . Only engine I ever did flush for the reasons you mentioned .
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Yeah flushing is not really a good Idea. Call me a hardcase but there is no substitute for a regimen of oil change on a 3000 mile religion.If the engine runs too cold for a long time the engine doesnt get hot enough for the detergents to go to work.I have pulled intakes and valve covers and shop vacced out the sludge on a few (keeps it from plugging up the oil pump screen and killing the engine)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm not sure if I would recomend this but when I was a tech at Ford we had a custimer that made us flush at every oil change. It was a 70's ford pu.with a FE block. After draining the old oil we would put in 4 qrts. of diesel and 2qrts. of ATF and then run it for 20min. and I will say that eng had over 200K with no oil burning probelms or leaks.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

i was thinking something to wash the bottom of the oil pan out. not running it through the engine.
thanks for the reply's.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

engine flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1626
i was thinking something to wash the bottom of the oil pan out. not running it through the engine.
thanks for the reply's.
i would not flush ,change the filter and cut it open,check the pleates,if ther is lots of metal find wher it is comeing from even if it means a ter down. if only minor debree replace filter and oil,run for 500miles check filter again pluse do a oil analisis if filter is clean.IF still shows metal ter down or expect big problems .cliff
Old 07-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

everybody is right. it looks like i have a problem some where.removed oil pan and have more metal than i thought. have not remove oil flt yet. i have a bad feeling about my cam and lifters. will let you know. thanks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.