what ford 9" gears?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what ford 9" gears??

I am about to place a chevy 406 small block in my 69 camaro. It's projected to have approx. 630 hp. Behind it I have a turbo 400 trans with a shift kit (for now). I've just recently purchased a used ford 9" and will be setting up for my camaro leaf springs. My question is what gears would you recommend for the rear-end? I am planning on driving some on road while doing street racing. This is not my everyday car. If I have to drive slower on hwy to keep my R's down, I dont mind. I would like to take it to the track when all done for fun to see how it will run. Right now I am leaning towards running 3:70/3:89 gears, but have also thought LITTLE about getting in the lower 3:25 gears for road and just swapping out with a pair of 4:11 strictly for the track. Putting in a different trans with clutch is out of question til next year

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM

Your car is going to be putting out enough power to pick up just fine with the lower 3.25 gears. What also matters is weather you have a high rpm engine or not. If you have a high rpm engine you can go with lower gears and have enough rpms to pull. If your motor is made for lower rpms, the higher gears would do you better.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 PM

It's a 406 small block puttithat I should be able to run around 7,000 RPMs. I'm still leaning on getting maybe a used, good pair of 3.25 gears (with new bearings of course) along with a pair of E-Z locker 4.11 gears for when I go to street in town or track. Thanks for you imput Firebird
Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Here's the most overlooked fact left out of the equation....
How tall are the tires??!

I ran 5.13, 4.56 and 4.11 gears in Demon's Ford 9", it was a big block that drove on the highway regularly. I drove an hour at a time at 55mph with the 5.13 gears regularly, but I had 33" tall rear tires.
The 4.11 gears were awesome on the highway.

I have 32.5" tires and 4.10 gears in my Coupe, the highway isn't going to be a problem IMO.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You won't get a NA 406 to put out 630hp. Run it on a dyno and find out.

3.73 to 4.10 I would recommend.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcamaro69
I am about to place a chevy 406 small block in my 69 camaro. It's projected to have approx. 630 hp. Behind it I have a turbo 400 trans with a shift kit (for now). I've just recently purchased a used ford 9" and will be setting up for my camaro leaf springs. My question is what gears would you recommend for the rear-end? I am planning on driving some on road while doing street racing. This is not my everyday car. If I have to drive slower on hwy to keep my R's down, I dont mind. I would like to take it to the track when all done for fun to see how it will run. Right now I am leaning towards running 3:70/3:89 gears, but have also thought LITTLE about getting in the lower 3:25 gears for road and just swapping out with a pair of 4:11 strictly for the track. Putting in a different trans with clutch is out of question til next year

630 hp out of 406 inches is 1.55 hp/cube. That is exotic race territory using alky fuel...... (or you are using a 150 hp big bang of NO2.) that even the "Engine Masters" can barely do under controlled conditions with alky. You are talking 20 thousand dollars for this engine.

If you are doing that you will need lots of gear, like 4.56 plus, and supurb chassis set up and whopper tires to hook it at 6000 rpm launches. Your power range will be 5000 rpm up and the single plane intake/cam will be a batch on the street driving. Figure on 5 mpg with race fuel.

Any normal Ford 9 inch rear and axles will NOT withstand that engine. You need to look into a fully built nine center section with 35 spline axles etc.

All you really bought was just a housing, and probably a light duty one at that which will need significant external strengthening to withstand the launches.

If reality strikes and you see that you have a high winding 406 that actually makes 485 engine dyno horsepower, and puts 375 to the chassis dyno,,,,, well that is a different story all together.

Last edited by xntrik; 06-02-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

what gears

Regardless if you are making 375 hp or 675 hp, I can tell you
what will break first. You must replace the factory pinion support with an aftermarket heavy duty unit. The stock support has small bearings was not designed for DOT slicks or race slicks. I was an NHRA starter for 17 years and saw many guys put 9" slicks on their street cars and blow the pinion right out the front of the carrier, destroying their driveshaft, exhaust system and floor boards all while the motor is zinging. I could never understand why someone would put 5 grand into a motor and not spend 100 bucks for a pinion support.

If your car is never driven on the street, go with the billet aluminum support with the large roller bearings. If it is street driven then you will have to use the steel Daytona support. Check out Jegs, Summit, Strange, Moser, MarkWilliams, Randy's Ring& Pinion.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 PM

I know that 630 hp is alot of power for a 406, but I will copy the dyno sheet and put it on here for you. I've put $11,500 into it so far and is about done. It's all natural aspriated with no NOS. I have a guy that gets used NASCAR parts for the rear end so it will be biult right. He gets some from the big guys over on the east coast and polishes the gears. I know that a stock ford 9" will NEVER take a beating like this. This guy really knows his ford stuff. Thanks for the input
Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcamaro69
I know that 630 hp is alot of power for a 406, but I will copy the dyno sheet and put it on here for you. I've put $11,500 into it so far and is about done. It's all natural aspriated with no NOS. I have a guy that gets used NASCAR parts for the rear end so it will be biult right. He gets some from the big guys over on the east coast and polishes the gears. I know that a stock ford 9" will NEVER take a beating like this. This guy really knows his ford stuff. Thanks for the input

Hot Rod Magazine, July 2006, p. 116 "Dyno Days", attention to p. 122 side bar "Fudging the Numbers"

You would be suprised how many super duper 500 hp SBC 350 I have run on an engine dyno and they only made 400.

I am going to be very brief, OK:

Dyno headers are not necessarily a decent simulation of what is in the car. You must run your car exhaust system if at all possible. Heads are flow tested at 28 in of water. Scavenging can pull more than twice that on a port. There can be a tremendous power difference between headers on high hp/rpm engines.

Chassis dyno is a must for best tuning.

Doing a lot of Ford chunk swapping, be sure that your axle oil seal is on the inside of the bearing in the end of the housing. Those with the seal on the outside of the bearing.... the bearing gets ruined changing seals.

Last edited by xntrik; 06-04-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

630hp out of a good 406 bracket race engine isnt that hard.Rngine Master's engines are an entirely different ballgame.They have to run on pump gas,make good average power and torque all the way down to 3000 rpm and make their peak before 6500rpm.On race gas or even 94 sunoco with booster in a combo with a 7000 rpm shift point and 5000 stall convertor,630 peak hp can be made out of a 406 with out of the box 220cc aluminum heads,and a .650" lift roller cam with 11:1 compression.Add some 2 inch race yheaders and 3/5" collector muflers,a super victor intake and 1050 caqrb and you pretty much have 600hp covered with out of the box parts.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 PM

On this 406, it will be running 11.8:1 compression or so on flat top pistons,215cc aluminum 72cc chambered heads, .680" lift roller comp cam with a high rise holley intake and a 850 cfm carb. We shaved off some on the deck job, so it's not quite 72cc on the head. We set up a nice MSD and distributor that will allow chip change on the spot for multiple rev limiters and hole shots. (I'm still learning on all the MSD products). We haven't set up exhaust or stall converter yet, but here within the next 2 weeks. The ford 9" axle I just bought for $100 has good 2.75" gears in it. Still leaning on beefing up the bearings and whatnot for the highway while running a set of 4.30/4:10 gears for street. This transmission question kinda got onto the track of the engine section didn't it?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.